1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Alternative to Cow Milk

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by subaru000, Aug 28, 2010.

1. subaru000

I am very interested in never drinking cow milk and am looking for some alternatives to the infamous drink. Soy, I know, has it's group of lovers, but the bad things said about it scares me (too bad I have Silk and another brand of milk in the kitchen). For anyone embarking on not drinking cow's milk, which are the tastiest and healthiest options? I see that there are oat milk, rice milk and almond milk.

2. KaraBulut

Out of curiosity, why do you want to avoid cow's milk? And are you looking for a vegan alternative?

3. subaru000

Possible health benefits, and I'm looking for a vegan alternative.

4. Brideshead Boy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    subaru000,

I have researched this quite a bit over the last couple of years, and I'm glad you're reaching out and seeking help on your own journey to good health!

Soy can be a healthy food, but only if it is prepared correctly. Fermented soy, like miso, tempeh and natto are all good forms of soy that are very health promoting, and were the original forms of soy consumed in Asia. Unfermented soy, however, like soy milk, yogurt or all the soy we get in our lovely processed foods contain high amounts of phytic acid (which can bind to minerals like calcium and iron and prevent their absorption in our bodies), and it even contains compounds that mimic the effect of estrogen.

I used to be a heavy soy drinker, until its effects were noticeable to me. I started noticing the estrogen heightening effects after consuming, as well as an uncomfortable sensation in my throat (soy can interfere with the thyroid). I stopped soy immediately, and all health effects were reversed--thank goodness!

The problem with cow's milk today is that it is pasteurized and homogenized. Pasteurizing heats the milk's enzymes, denatures them (as well as the protein), and produces a product that is mucus forming and hard to digest. That is why we are seeing high cases of lactose intolerance in our country today, whereas when milk wasn't apsteurized, it wasn't as problematic.

In fact, many people who drink raw, fresh, clean and organic cow's milk and have lactose intolerance and digest the milk just fine, without any health effects. Right now, I get fresh raw and clean organic goat's milk from a nearby farm. It is pricy, but it's a food in its whole form, the way nature intended it. Plus, it is really good.

The milk in the store, though, could not be sold raw, because the cows are kept in horrible conditions, and it is incredibly dirty. So, if you are wanting to try raw milk, it is best to find a small dairy, one that gets their animals tested regularly, one that is clean, organic AND has to keep a low bacteria count as mandated by the state. Message me for sources if you are interested.

Whenever I can't get raw milk, I will make homemade almond milk. For one cup of almond milk, soak 1/4 cup of raw almonds in water, for 4-8 hours, or overnight. Strain, then blend for about 30 seconds on high with one cup of clean, filtered water. Strain the pulp, and enjoy immediately.

Many commercial almond milks are OK, but it is best to make your own, as the only ingredients will be almonds and water. Plus, you don't contribute to waste by purchasing processed foods.

I hope I helped~!

5. Eleanor Rigby

There are several alternatives to cow milk : soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, hazelnut milk... all with different tastes and nutrional properties.
    I gave up on cow milk around a year and a half ago. My favourites are rice milk for cooking, as it has a very neutral taste, and almond milk as a drink.
    I also use soy cream to cook and eat soy yoghurts.

6. KaraBulut

Soy milk was the rage about 10-15 years ago. But some of the recent studies on phyto-estrogens (which are plant substances that mimic female hormones when consumed) have opened the question of whether men should consume unfermented soy. There's a discussion about the issue here.

The best thing to do is to go a health-food store or a specialty grocery store like Whole Foods and buy several of the non-dairy milks (rice milk, almond milk, etc) and try them. Each has a different flavor and consistency. You may find that you prefer the flavor of different types in different ways- there's definitely a difference between drinking them by themselves versus using them with cereal or in cooking.

7. Ben

Ben

You can make rice milk dirt cheap at home.
    You just boil up a 1:4 ratio of brown rice to water until it's really soft and loads of the water is gone and then blitz the hell out of it. The only problem might be that store bought rice milk can be shoved full of goodness, and home-made might be a bit boring in comparison. But you can plop some honey, vanilla extract or whatever in it to make it more interesting~.

8. Brideshead Boy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ben! I love your avatar! Katherine Hepburn~

I do want to say that rice milk is quite high on the glycemic index, so it will raise your insulin levels much more than something like almond or coconut milk. This is not the healthiest option, in my opinion.

Coconut milk, however, contains medium chained fatty acids, which have been shown to aid in weight loss and nourish the thyroid. It also has antimicrobial and anti fungal properties.

9. starfish

I drink a lot of milk. I tend to cycle through, Organic milk, soy milk, almond milk, and coconut milk.

I really like the almond and coconut milk. Downside to the coconut milk is that I have drive across town to get it. My normal store doe not carry it.

10. Brideshead Boy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sometimes I make my own coconut milk. Use 1 part fresh coconut to 1 part boiling water. You could also use 7/8 cup dried, unsweetened shredded coconut to 1 cup water. Blend, strain, then add the pulp with 1/2 cup of boiling water, plus the previously strained coconut milk. That makes about 1 cup.

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I drink Silk, its soy milk. If you get vanilla kinds its good, and with less fat then whole milk.

12. Mana

I'd also like to find an alternative as cows milk makes me feel sick. I only use it in tea and coffee, and in milkshakes (my latest obsession, will probably be over in about a week) but all other types of milk are yucky :frowning2: I suppose I'm just too picky...

13. subaru000

Which of the alternative milks are most like cow milk in terms of taste and nutrition?

14. Brideshead Boy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I will have to say...none of them.

Soy milk definitely does not taste like cows milk. Almond milk, if unsweetened, kind of has a neutral taste, depending on if you make it yourself or buy it prepackaged.

Coconut milk is thick and creamy, as creamy as heavy cream. I have heard of some people reconstituting it with water to stretch it out a bit and have it the same texture as whole milk, with the same nutrition.

Some people also do the same thing with organic heavy cream, as the cream contains less casein (a milk protein that is very hard for many people to digest now days).

Rice milk I wouldn't advise drinking because of its effects on insulin levels. Goat's milk is kind of like cows milk in texture, but the taste is different. I also do not recommend soy milk, especially non-organic, and non-fermented soy, especially if you are male. Please don't make the same mistake I did.

Why don't you experiment with different milks and see which ones you like?

15. KaraBulut

These substitute milks are probably closer in consistency to skim milk. They have a more watery consistency. The unsweetened varieties are a bit bland and the commercial prepared brands are often sweeter than cow's milk because the producer adds sugar (unless you grow up drinking unsweetened soy milk, it takes some getting used to).

None of these milks have the amount or quality of protein that you will get from the casein in animal milks, so they aren't nutritionally equivalent to animal milk unless you add protein powder.

16. VampConspiracy

Ah, I've been wondering about alternatives too. I've kinda been forced into it though; doesn't matter what animal it comes from, as long as it has lactose, there is some major "fun" to be had.

I've noticed that Silk works well for cereal, but as a standalone beverage, it... really sucks (the plain stuff at least; chocolate Silk is awesome!).

Haven't tried any other alternatives; since I still want dairy occasionally, I keep a stash of lactase pills handy, so... I've been lazy about it.