1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Septum Piercing

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BeautifulStranger, Aug 29, 2010.

1. BeautifulStranger

I recently got my septum pierced (recently as in yesterday) and I have two questions:

1.) Is it typically pierced with a retainer?
    My friends who have their septums pierced had theirs done with a captive bead ring. Mine wasn't... Is this normal?

2.) Because it was pierced with a retainer, it has flipped up to the inside of my nose. Will this affect the healing at all?
    I would twist it down, but that makes it hurt... And not like a healing hurt but an 'Oww, you shouldn't be doing this' hurt.

2. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Wait, so it's pointing up into your nose? I'd ask the person who did it for you.

3. SaturdaySaviour

You're cleaning the piercing, right? Do you have some sort of crust on the piercing?

Talk to your piercer.

4. Mana

My friend's goes up into his nose butalso comes back down again... if it wont come back down thats probably not great...

5. BeautifulStranger

Yeah, I managed to twist it downward and it didn't hurt.
    There's a slight discomfort but that's because the skin between my nostril is a little too wide for the retainer and it's slightly being pinched.
    I'm cleaning the piercing as I'm supposed to. I soak my nose in salt water for 10 minutes twice a day and I wash my hands before I twist it to remove any crust.

And no, he didn't pierce it upside down. Let me attach a picture to explain

[​IMG]
    This is what I have in my nose currently. (Mine doesn't hang so low down because my septum needed to be pierced slightly higher up.)
    That's a retainer and it's designed to be worn during work so you can hide your piercing by twisting it upwards into your nostrils.
    So I guess it makes sense to have your septum pierced with a retainer since you can't be switching the jewelry immediately after piercing

6. BeautifulStranger

Good news...
    No pain in my nose, I've been cleaning it twice a day all week, I can twist the jewelry freely...
    And probably the best news... It's crusting over, with is phenomenal because that means the wound is draining naturally!!

I've put research into it and in some cases, they are pierced in the cartilage. These tend to last longer since piercings can't migrate through cartilage, so score one for me!!