1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick all the time.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Vampyrecat, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Vampyrecat

Hey.
    I'm just writing, because I want some advice, and seeing the thread on glandular gave me the idea actually.
    I had glandular fever two years ago, really badly, then afterwards, after I kept complaining about being tired all the time, I got diagnosed with Post Viral Fatigue. It means that basically, I'm really tired all the time, and my immune system isn't as strong as it was. I was told it can last up to four years, but I started getting better at the start of this year, and now I'm really tired all the time again.

I also get sick a lot. I've had bronchitis about 6 or seven times in the last 12 months, and it just really gets me down, because then I miss school and I get bored and worried at the same time, because I'm missing out on work (I'm a study freak, think of hermione granger, and that's pretty much me in school) and basically unhappy.
    I've had chronic depression, but I am nearly over that now, and its not affecting my sleep.

I get on average, 9-10 hours of sleep a night. I'm always really tired when I wake up, and the tiredness doesn't go away. I tried cutting back on sleep in case I was getting too much, and that made it worse. But when I tried sleeping more it made it worse too.
    I'm a vegetarian, I don't eat red meat, white meat, fish or seafood at all, but I eat STACKS and STACKS of green leafy vegetables and legumes to make sure I don't become anaemic.

My councillor at school thinks I'm either anaemic or vitamin B deficient, because both would explain the tiredness, but vitamin b would also explain my lowered immunity, the constant headaches, stomach aches, moodswings, depression, sleep patterns that don't work.
    I forgot to mention, I've been feeling like this for at least a year. Its probably more like 18 months.

I asked mum to see if I could get a bloodtest organised and she said yes, but I'm just really sick of being like this. Does anyone have any idea what else it could be?

#1 Vampyrecat, Sep 23, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I can't answer the main question, but in the short term if you think you may be vitamin B deficient have you tried some vitamin supplements (either just vitamin B or multi-vitamin)?

3. Vampyrecat

Yeah I have, but they didn't really do anything.. I've tried Iron and Vitamin B supplements, and at the moment, I'm on Vitamin E, because I AM deficient in that.

4. Kimi

My first thought was anemic because you are woman you need a lot of iron and about 60% of women are lack of them. And it's hard to intake iron from plants than meat. I recommend to try eat seaweed if you don't hate them.

And second thought was hypotension. I don't know much about this but my blood pressure is bit lower side so even during the day I feel tired and in the morning basically I'm freaking exhausted and pissed off somehow.

But but but, I really recommend you to get your blood tested.
    Though, be careful!! I ended up faint from the loss of blood in the hallway of my doctor's office and everyone was staring at me....SO embarrassing:icon_redf :icon_redf

5. Bryan

Have your blood tested, and then they can find if you are missing vitamins or minerals and you can amend your diet, you can still eat meat free, you might need some tofu (glad to see I am not the only veggie here!!) You should also have a complete check up and physical, also tell this to your doctor, he/she will be able to help you find the cause. If it isnt a lack of vitamins, you may have some issue like Constant Fatigue Syndrome.

6. Vampyrecat

I have tofu quite often actually, well, often as a meat eating family where you're the only vegie can cope with. Usually once every couple of weeks or so..

7. 24601

Well, I can kind of relate on the tiredness aspect. I'm always tired all day, too. I've been kind of linking it to the fact that I have to wake up at 6 AM for school every day. Waking up with an alarm makes me tired all day, it seems. If you're sure it's nothing related to your school schedule (assuming you have a "normal" high school schedule, it can really fuck up teenage natural sleeping habits, leading to fatigue), then I'd follow the above advice and go in for another check up.

8. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Vampyrecat, there can be various causes for the fatigue. I think a blood test would be in order, a chem panel that tests for the various ions (potassium, calcium, sodium, etc) and checks TSH, T3, T4 levels that are screening exams for functions of the thyroid. Then there are the liver function test. It really is a bit of a catch all.

Another blood test that would help should it be anemia is a CBC (complete blood count) and it will check the various blood cells to check for anemia and if present it also gives the measurements of the cells that help tell what sort of anemia is present.

Testing for vitamin levels might be helpful. I would suggest taking a good multivitamin on a daily basis and to have included iron. If there is a deficiency of iron you will cause anemia. Folic Acid is another needed vitamin for combating anemia. The B complex vitamins will help some but you have to take them for a while before anything works, especially since you are vegetarian, it can be difficult to get the proper vitamins unless the supply of vegetables are fresh daily. They lose the vitamin content rather quickly. Also the legumes are a good idea but you need to have a mix to maintain proper protein intake. Look things up as to protein content (amino acids) and do a mix of them to get the proper amounts as most are needed to be taking in at the same time.

The one key to a good immune system is proper nutrition, decreased stress and one nearly forgotten now days, good old fashion hand washing with lots of suds and spending 10 seconds at least per side of hands and fingers (fingers have four sides).

Best wishes.