1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cervical Cancer.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by peaceandlies, Sep 9, 2010.

1. peaceandlies

My parents, unknowing of the fact I'm Gay put me in for the injections for the disease. Two injections later, the cancelled the last one due to the fact i was getting ill after each one (i wasn't but it seemed like a good way of getting off school. Ive grown out of the skiving phase since i have my GCSE's in nine months.)

Its now confirmed i will not be having the last, and i was ready to cancel it anyway since i went Straight Edge (but not straight). but i need to know, can I still get cervical cancer if I'm sleeping with women?

Also, I turn 16 in 12 days and i havent had a period since the night of my 14th birthday (weird timing i know). and even then, i'm not really sure it was a period, since it lasted twelve hours, and was really light. i don't really want them to start, but i'm worried its a health risk, and should i expect them to start randomly and be prepared. i dont really want to be in the middle of school at the time.

2. Ben

Ben

Yep. You can still catch all of the STDs through lesbian sex
    And you can still get cervical cancer even if you've had the HPV jab. The jab only protects you from some of the viruses often transmitted through sex which are known to lead to cervical cancer.

3. peaceandlies

ah great. well, i may see about getting the last jab. it has some effect, right?

4. Ben

Ben

Yeah~I mean as far as I know, the jabs are pretty beneficial and will definitely decrease your chances of getting cervical cancer in later years, which absolutely would make it worthwhile.

5. peaceandlies

And also the period problem. a thought has just occured to me, that a few months ago, i had a load of tests done to find out why i was ill so much, and i came out as having TONNNES more testosterone than a woman is supposed to have. i've always been very strong and masculine and i was wondering if the problem might be that i'm slightly intersex.

I havent got a problem with that, and frankly i'd be glad if that was the answer since in no universe do i want kids, or to be burdened with periods. i just want to know of any serious health risks that might be related to this?

6. Ben

Ben

I think it's a good idea to talk to your doctor about the lack of periods if you haven't done so already. I guess that lack of periods is probably caused by low estrogen levels if that's how you are, but I really wouldn't know~.

7. peaceandlies

ok, thanks, its just the last time i displayed any 'queerness', i got exorcised. i think this may come under the same problem if i tried to see a doctor about it.

8. xCrazyInsanity

excorzied? that's a little harsh. would they really do it over a legit medical condition though?

anyway having 2/3 of the shots (which are pretty harsh. my mother had me get them too. sick for a good 2 days after) is better than none and if they make you too sick.

9. Emberstone

Vaccinations generally do that for most people.

I always schedule my flu shots and other vaccinations for a friday after classes. that way, I am not missing my classes on saturday and sunday when I am sick.

You have to remeber that a vaccine injects a little bit of a virus into your system in a controlled way so that you can build a general immunity to that strain of virus. Your body attacks the intruder, and developed the further ability to fight it.

2/3, i agree, is probably better than nothing, but I might consider biting the bullet and getting the final one just to be safe.

I hated when I got my hepititus shot in highschool that everyone was recommended to get. I only had to do two with that one, but the final shot would just be one further boost to your bodies immunity, which couldnt hurt in the long run.

Also, consider doing what I do. whine and moan until mom makes your favorate dinner to help you feel better.

10. GhostDog

Those shots made me a bit woogy too. =/ I do think it'd be a good idea to get the last one, though. Better to have them and never, ever need them than to not have them and have shit happen.

The first thing that I thought of when you mentioned missed periods and higher levels of testosterone was actually something like polycystic ovary syndrome. (Though I don't know if you have any weight problems or anything, which seems to be a very common symptom of that.) The hormone imbalance may be totally harmless, but if there's an underlying cause that isn't so harmless, it'd be much better to find it out and get it treated anyway. And if it's just extra testosterone because that's just the way you are and it does no harm, you don't have to let them talk you into treating it. But if it's because of an actual medical problem...

I am by no means a medical expert, mind, but I would suggest seeing a gynecologist about your symptoms anyway. Intersex may well be a possibility, I don't know, but a gynecologist would definitely know more about it than an internet forum! There are a lot of things that can funk up your hormones.

And if you're worried about displaying any "queerness", you could always tell your parents you're concerned about irregular periods and want to go get it checked out. You can also pull the squeamish card and be all "Mooommm I don't want you in the room with me if I'm nakeeeed!" And just insist on no parents being in the room with you and the doctor so you can discuss whatever the hell you like.

11. KaraBulut

HPV isn't just one virus that causes cervical cancer. HPV is shed from body parts other than the genitals.

More and more research is showing a connection between HPV and cancer of the digestive tract- particularly the tongue, mouth and anus. We believe that there is a link between cancer and oral sex which means that gay men, lesbians and straight people are all at risk. Gardasil covers HPV type 16 and 18 which are strains that are associated with oral and genital cancers. Since HPV is transmitted by skin-to-skin contact, lesbians would still benefit from receiving the immunization series before they become sexually active.

We're hoping that an HPV immunization becomes available soon that covers additional strains that are linked with cancers that are common in gay and lesbians.

12. peaceandlies

ok, thanks everyone. i dont actually have proper health care here - it covers injections and the like, but not appointments for gaenocoligists. i might just have to wait another nine months until i'm free to get whatever healthcare i need