1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tablets and psychistrists and things

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mugwump, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Mugwump

I stopped taking an snri for anxiety and depression a couple of weeks ago, due to bad side effects. I had the same side effect on an ssri I tried earlier. I'm confused about what I'm doing... I'm being told by lots of people I need to go back on medication. I have been getting more and more anxious and depressed over the last week or so. I have been panicking, getting sent home from work, being unable to get work done etc. But then, on the odd occasion that I can do something (e.g. today was fairly productive for me), I think "ah see I don't need anything". My psychologist has very clearly said to me that she thinks my problems are biochemical and I need to go on medication. I was so much better on the SNRI.

I have an appointment to see a psychiatrist next week and I'm scared about it. I don't know what to do, or what to expect. I will probably just freak out at him and be unable to tell him anything. I am still unsure about medications I feel like if I'm on medications then there are things that are 'unfinished' in a sense.

I don't even really know what my question was now... I can't think. I suppose I wonder if anyone can tell me what to expect with a psychiatrist versus a psychologist... and I dunno, why I don't want tablets, and why ... Oh I'm falling asleep. Actually I don't know if this is in the right section now.

Anyhoo, the side effect I had was really bad night sweats - like, might as well have tipped a bucket of water into my bed. Anyone else had this with these medications? Found a way around it?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Print out your post above and hand it to your psychiatrist. I think it explains the situation fairly well.

I've been on only one anti-depressant, and the side effects were pretty mild, so I didn't have much issue with them. Can't help there, I'm afraid.

Lex

3. KaraBulut

Problems with temperature perception is a known side effect of anti-depressants. Some of the medications are worse than others for side effects. And sometimes the side effects are just temporary and get better as your body adjusts to the medication. If you have this side effect on a couple of the drugs, you might want to consider getting samples from your doctor to try so that you don't spend money on the drug only to discover it doesn't work for you.

At your appointment with the psychiatrist, be honest- describe the side effect and why it made you not like the drug.

And the next time, call your psychiatrist's office and describe the side effect before you stop taking it.

4. Mugwump

Yeah, for me the side effects lasted for a long time - even two weeks after I stopped taking the medication. I did speak to the doctor both times before going off medication.

5. KaraBulut

Side effects are always the challenge with medications like anti-depressants. Even when the drug is working, the side effects can be so annoying (e.g. sex side effects) or unpleasant (e.g. nausea or sleeplessness) that it becomes a question of whether the side effect is worse than the depression.

Don't give up, though. It may be that you need a lower dose of the drug or maybe a different medication would work better for you.

6. RedState

How long were you on the anti-d?

I was on one for about 6 months....at first I had similar side-effects, sweats, treamors, etc. Those went away about the first week and a half. When I quit I tapered off of it but I had HORRIBLE withdrawal effects. Those finally subsided after about 2 weeks.

I think the difference between a psychiatrist and psychologist is that a psychiatrist actually has a medical degree that has prescribing authority...many of them (at least here in the US) don't really offer therapy sessions anymore. It's kinda like going to a primary care dr when you have a sore throat...except you have a sore mind--it that makes any sense.

A psychologist doesn't have prescribing authority, but offers more of a therapy setting by talking through your present difficulties. Many times, people go see both in conjunction.

Anti-d's are trial and error. But do tell your Dr. exactly how you feel and what you went through with the last medication you were on.

7. Mugwump

Thanks :slight_smile: Yeah I was on the first on for about 7 months I think. Side effects didn't start immediately but lasted once they began. Same with the second one, although I was only on it for about 3 months. I went through bad withdrawals that lasted 2 weeks with both of them.

Goodo, sounds like I shouldn't expect the psychiatrist to talk as much as the psychologist. Good to know!