1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaining weight?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Micah, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Micah

So I weigh 57kg (125 pounds) and since I'm 180cm tall (5"11) it's pretty unhealthy. No I'm not bulimic, anorexic or other. I'm naturally thin, and being sick hasn't helped.

My BMI has shot down to 17.6, which is grossly underweight. There's a recent photo of me in my photogallery / profile pic where it kinda shows how skinny I am.

I don't really know what to do. I'd love to gain some sort of muscle, but at the same time don't have the time to work out. I eat lots of meats, fats etc but nothing seems to work =\

2. rorotherara

rorotherara Guest

Hmmm. First of all, don't eat too much meats and fats since you need a degree of balance.
    Muscle is your best chance, eat plenty of protein and do small things like 10-20 sit ups in the morning or 10 minutes of weight lifting. Small things everyday, if you are in the office, do 5 sit ups during a break. Here and there will go a long way. Fish and steak helps with the protein and development of muscles. :slight_smile: Muscles are sexy too. Remember, if you plan to do the tidbit muscle training, consume plenty of protein to supplement yourself.

3. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

situps and push ups are for toning.
    u have the muscle there so do what the guy above me said. lol

4. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Well, you obviously just can't work out and expect to gain muscle mass/weight. You have to start eating a proper work out diet for that. Maybe Jayhew will have some answers.

5. ALieToDieFor

Texas City,TX but Huntington beach,california atm
    Doesnt seem out of the ordinary or gross to me =/

6. Hydrogen

God, If I don't work out for one day, I start to feel the weight coming on...

I would agree that you need to build some muscle mass, and starting out slow should not take much time per day, I think you can squeeze in an extra 30-45 minutes of workout.

7. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow Dave, you're thinner than I am... let's get together and work out, I need that too.

Oh. I remembered something. I'm in Uruguay and you're in Australia. Damn. :tantrum:

8. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

First off Dave, the BMI is a bit of a lousy means of measuring someone for health with concern for lean muscle mass vs fat. You need a certain amount of fat in the body in order to function properly and to have stamina.

The suggestions above are more correct, in order for you to gain any appreciable weight, a good workout routine will have to be undertaken. That means getting into a new habit and though you may feel you don't have the time to work out, you just might be surprised. May mean a little extra effort but start with 20 minutes a day and do floor exercises, push up, triceps push ups, lunges, squats and abs. As time goes on, you can add exercises and eventually move to the weights. Yes you will likely have to use weights to get the muscle to bulk up. Lean muscle mass weights more than fat and the more muscle added, the more weight you will have as well as toned and sculpted.

As for diet, you will have to definitely increase calorie intake but also protein. It may mean eating six meals a day especially while working out. Make the protein lean if you can but also remember you need fat in the diet in order to have cell growth. All of the cells in the body have walls made up of the dreaded cholesterol, so taking it in is not going to be a major problem. Some will argue with that, but it is not panning out as being the big buggabu it has been made out to be, especially when it has been found that over half the people with heart disease and high blood pressure have normal or below normal cholesterol levels.

Also if you can get your actual body fat content it would be helpful. You want to remain at least 8% and no less. Anything less appears to drop the stamina of a person, as they just don't have much to draw from stores if lower than 8%.

Regarding weight lifting, establish a good routine and don't vary it for a couple of months up to three months, then you can start changing up routines and every month or so add weight to your cycles. This in order to get your tendons, ligaments and joints in tune with the added stress. Muscle will respond quickly to exercise, but the ligaments, tendons and joints take a while to get there, so give them plenty of time to respond. To keep from getting bored, change your workout routine at least every three months and at least once a month, go for max lifts. This helps establish where you should be when working with weights. Best workouts are will 65% of max weight lifted. As time goes on, you will see that the workout weight as well as your max will go up.

I have just glossed over things a bit here to give you some info. There are a number of books out that can help, just avoid those that seem extreme, you are not trying to become a body builder, just a builder of some muscle to help full you out more. There is a major difference, plus body builders do it for a living, you appear to have other plans.

Good luck pal. It should work if you get over the idea that you don't have time, actually all you have to do is make time :slight_smile:

9. Jim1454

I wish I could give you some of my weight! I'm 5'11", but at the beginning of this year weighed 221lbs! :eek:

I've lost 15lbs so far this year, and would like to take off another 15 to get me down to about 190lbs. I'm doing that by jogging and watching what I'm eating. In addition, I'm going to start swimming as well to burn more calories and add some muscle mass. Hoping to increase my metabolism to use up the energy that I'm taking in.

Good luck with your program. I'm hoping I can stick with mine.

10. Jerr

You're fine... trust me. My friend weighs a bit more then you but he is also taller then me by a good 4 inches. (I'm 5'11... or I was when I was measured like 3 years ago! lol) He weighs like 145... He is naturally skinny... so is his brothers.... man the are hot. but uh... thats off topic.

My best mate is/was 6'5 and weighed 140... (oh it pissed me off lol) He now weighs 165. His answer... "Join the Army!" Yeah... push ups and sit ups and those lovely PT sessions galore=muscle mass! He actually has broader shoulders now. Looks FANTASTIC... (Pisses me off even more... lol) He tried eating a lot to gain weight... yeah didn't work I got fat... (We went to CiCi's like every other day...) Gah... still fat... whatever not about me!

If you want... Google was the US Army does for PT... and do that. haha It worked wonders for him... Of course he was 17 and an ass so he had to do soo many lovely push ups... It takes time though.

If you don't want to... do what you want to be happy! You look fine... you are just naturally skinny (lucky sob...) and that isn't a bad thing!

Psh. Mr. JayHew knows everything. lol

11. Micah

Well I'm not majorly stressing about it at the moment. I mean...it looks ok and it's not exactly hard work for me. haha.

I think I'll probably hop to it once my exams are up :icon_wink:

Thanks for your help guys =]

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, exams are higher priority, especially since you probably have some work or revising to catch up with now.

I wish there was a way I could mail you a few of my excess kilos! :slight_smile:

13. Jerr

Confident much? Good because you should be. lol

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My son is naturally thin too. He gets so irritated when people mention it and tell him he should eat more. He does eat! He eats healthy but he does eat! It's funny that somebody wouldn't dare comment on an overweight persons' weight (except my Dad!) but they easily make comments when somebody is thin. Do you get that Dave?

15. Ty

Ty Guest

You look fine in your gallery, you remind me of my cute friend :lol:

16. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Gah!
    That happens to me all the time.
    They say I don't eat enough, or that I'm turning anorexic or something.

I'M NOT!
    :tantrum:

I'm about 5' 6" 1/2 - 5' 7" and weigh 60.7 kg.
    It's not exactly skinny, but according to everything I've checked, it's a healthy weight.

17. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As others said a combination of exercise and eating right. needn't be super exercises, and expect it to take a while too.

Though as far as you being skinny... I know someone that's 6'4" and 130lbs (59kg, 193cm) and I'm fairly sure he doesn't have an eating disorder.

18. budhead

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a young adult friend that has been trying to gain muscles and weight by weight training and eating lots, but still stays skinny. It's just his body type is set to be thin, low fat and small muscles, and he has a small bone frame, but is tall. I think he's hot the way he is with his gorgeous slender long legs. The girls go nuts over him. Sadly, he's straight.

Regardless, some slender teens do start to bulk up naturally in their 20's. It just occurs later for some guys. My step brother was like you until his 20s, now he's very strong looking. I bulked up at 16, but my step brother eventually surpassed me in the muscle department. It's a good thing that I never teased him when he was younger!

I looked at your gallery and you look fine to me. You have a healthy look, not skinny like a Holocaust victim. You are fortunate. Any one that says your too skinny is just jealous.

I think muscles are over rated.

All the best.

19. waitingsucks

hah i can't get over that u want to gain weight. but seriously if u do think that it's a real problem i'd ask your doctor about what u can do because some attempts at weight gain can do your body harm.

20. Louise

A lot of boys your age are very thin, it's a metabolism thing through your growing years. Your body is very effective at eliminating toxins and excess food, as you get older and your body is less performant you will stock excess food as fat. Eating more at your age will only make your body work harder at eliminating. Only regular excercise can help you bulk up in muscle.

We are all born with a hereditory morphology which predestines us to weight gain or natural slimness, added to that is our family influences in our way of eating and excercising so have a look around your immediate family and the male morphology around you, this will give you an idea of the kind of body you might have in later years... hey I hope I'm not scaring the pants off you because all the males in your family weigh 350lbs.

In your shoes I wouldn't worry too much about it for the moment, your exams are much more important, you have the whole rest of your life to sort out your recalcitrant body!:dry:

#20 Louise, Oct 15, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2007