1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Sue Johanson defines as virginity...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SolitaryKnight, Sep 25, 2010.

1. SolitaryKnight

Having woke up in the middle of the night, I turned on the tv and low and behold was an episode of Sex Talk with Sue Johanson. The very first caller asked if she had anal sex was she still considered a virgin. Sue's response was interesting, she defined virginity as purely <penis in vagina>. She even went so far as to say that gay men and women who are sexually active, but never participated in heterosexual sex, are still virgins.

I thought this was interesting coming from a huge sex expert. Of course my interest was piqued so I started doing a little research on the term virgin. From what I found, there is a technical sense of virginity and the more commonly accepted form of virginity. The techinical virginity is how Sue defined it. More commonly though, virgin as become a term meaning uninitiated, so one can be a bungy jumping virgin, or a sport virgin, losing the virginity once the event has been partaken in. It does become more difficult when talking about sex since eveyone has their own definition of virginity ranging from oral, vaginal and anal sex, even masturbation.

Just thought I would bring it up since I thought it was interesting. What do you think?

2. Love etc

It's interesting how someone talking about a homosexual and another homosexual having sex, not actually being "sex". Whereas other people think that's all we think about.

3. KaraBulut

She's correct in the traditional "still a virgin before marriage" sense.

The whole point of being a virgin when you married was to ensure that a child born from the union was from the husband. In some cultures, blood on the honeymoon bedsheets was a sign that the bride was indeed a virgin.

So, handjobs, blowjobs, anal sex preserve virginity in the literal sense- at least for heterosexual couples. And the concept of virginity for same-sex couples doesn't really apply since what we do typically doesn't produce children and questions about parentage.

For convenience sake, everyone can say "I'm still a virgin" but we still end up asking, "So, does that mean you haven't done anything with another person?"

4. Emberstone

historically, there were in some cultures people who would test the virginity of a woman through a embaressing sounding examination.

does this mean I will be a virgin forever? A had a friend who was staunch mangolmaniactic baptist, who said virgins automarically go to heaven... kaching!

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm interesting....

6. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

This lady can stick her heteronormative definitions of sex right up her arse. Can you really call someone who has had everything BUT tabA-slotB sex a virgin? Sure, they can be vaginal-sex-with-a-penis-from-a-man virgin, but they are a virgout (seriously, check on the VlogBrothers if you miss the reference) in every other regard. If she's a sexpert, then I'm a 6th century British historian that eats potatoes for every meal.

And bah! Virginity and its associated concepts of purity are ridiculous in any case. I think we need to rework society's thoughts on virginity (and whatever the heck that means). Why is it considered to be so super special awesome that we think less of those who have lost it? And what the hell is losing your virginity? I didn't misplace it behind the couch. Fuck, I didn't lose my virginity. I didn't even give it away. I just had sex.

7. jazzrawr

In my opinion, Sue Johanson isn't really a sexpert. She's an old lady who is chill about talking about sex, so they hired her to make people laugh.
    So really, what she says isn't law.
    Also,
    YES. Nerdfighters ftw.

8. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Someone once told me 'I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in':rolle:

Personally, I think you lose your virginity when you have penetrative sex. Some people I've spoken to seem to think oral is classed as sex, which I find weird. Its called 'oral' after all....

9. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Oral is penetrative. It penetrates the mouth! :lol:

10. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

With the holes on the bottom half of you then? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Emberstone

do a handstand then... tada, problem solved.

12. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

:eusa_doh:

[​IMG]

#12 SAGUY84, Sep 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
  13. peaceandlies

I had some people tell me the same thing a few days ago. apparently there are two types of viginity. the 'real' kind, and the lesbian kind. thanks guys.

14. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    This woman is out of touch. It's ridiculous to define virginity so rigidly in an age like this.

15. Mana

I actually find it offensive when people think I'm a virgin because I havent had heterosexual penetrative sex with a penis and a vagina. I think it's just plain rude to think that other forms of sex don't count. The epitome of ignorance.

Firstly, a lot of people who believe that, believe it because they think that in order for a woman to lose her virginity, her "cherry has to be popped". This is ridiculous, as 9I'm sure you all know this but still) the hymen (thin flap of skin that partially covers the vaginal entrance) usually breaks long before a woman first has sex, from anything from riding a bike to gymnastics, or inserting a tampon even. Does this mean she's not a virgin? No. A lot of people I've met seem to think (using logic taken from the last bit) that you can lose your virginity to an inanimate object ¬¬

The definition of virginity (or the losing of) that I personally find most appropriate, is:

In order to have lost your virginity you need to have participated in some some sort of sexual practice with another human being.

Do you guys think that's about accurate?

I believe the term is "oral sex"

16. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

As has been pointed out, its an opinion thing. My opinion is, its just a blow job.

17. adam88

There's nakedness, touching, mutual stimulation and orgasm. What about that isn't sex?

18. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Like i said, my opinion is, its a blow job. Different to sex, different to a hand job.

19. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I really think that individual people are the only people who can define what virginity is.

20. Enaithor

I think that vaginal or anal counts as losing virginity
    If you've only done oral, then you're half a virgin
    I'm not sure what happens for lesbians though, they can sort themselves out lol