1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

huge break through in HIV/AIDS cure!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by surfrboykai, Sep 26, 2007.

1. surfrboykai

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uhm... how is the possibility of having sex without the fear of getting HIV going to lead to more "irresponsible" sex? So sex pre-1980 (or thereabouts) was... more irresponsible? More likely to be irresponsible? What exactly do you mean by "irresponsible?"

People have pretty questionable sex right now, if you ask me. I don't think HIV's presence or absence has anything to do with whether people have sex irresponsibly or not. The reality of HIV just means the consequences of making bad sexual choices are somewhat more dire. Sadly, that hasn't, to my knowledge, stopped people from making bad choices.

I mean, the extension of that is that birth control is somehow in some way bad because it means people can have sex without the "risk" or "fear" of becoming pregnant. And it kinda also implies there's something good about HIV. I can't say I find anything good about it. There's absolutely no way, in my mind, that curing HIV could be a bad thing.

Even if there was some kind of "deterrent effect" to bad sexual decision-making caused by the possiblity of HIV infection, I can't see how that would remotely outweigh the horror and agony and suffering HIV has wrought and continues to visit upon the world.

So I guess overall I'm all for any possible increase in irresponsible sex a cure for HIV may encourage. :slight_smile: Bring it on!

3. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

It is good to see such things come about, but as said in the article, it would be at least five years to perhaps twenty years before something like this happens and is on the market. Meanwhile the hoped for vaccine for HIV didn't pan out and human testing was stopped. So I don't think there is going to be anything new on the market for a while.

As for responsible vs irresponsible sex, I don't think that has changed at all and remains as it always was. What I do feel has changed is the knowledge and use of safer practices while engaging in sex, albeit if the recent up tick in STIs is any indication, those practices seem to be falling away. So I really don't think there is a deterrent affect over all. It happens to the other guy, not me. So it goes.......But the curing of this disease would be more benefit than not, by a long shot.