1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleep problems

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Bario, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Bario

Bario Guest

I am having trouble sleeping, and I am pretty sure it is because of the meds I am taking. I am on concerta, have been for a few years. I know that sleeping problems are a possible side effect of it, and when I forget to take it, I sleep a lot better. This isnt a new thing either, I couldnt tell you how long I have had trouble sleeping, but I can say with confidence that it has been going for at least 8 years, as far back as I can remember. I want to either change the meds I am taking, or ween off of them. I would like to see a doctor about it, but Mum is adamant that my sleeping problems arent because of the concerta, her reasoning is that I have been on it far too long for it to have any side effects on me. I dont know what to think of this. She was a nurse for 30 years, so she knows what she is talking about, but I know that I am having sleeping troubles, and I am positive that they are a side effect of my meds.
    So, is this a side effect, or could there be another reason that I have trouble sleeping?

2. KaraBulut

What time of day do you take the Concerta?

3. Bario

Bario Guest

Morning between 7:00 am and 10:00 am, but it isnt set in stone.

4. KaraBulut

Concerta, as you probably know, is just a new formulation of an old drug called Ritalin. It's a stimulant. Depending on the dose and the time of day it is taken, it can cause problems with sleeping. The earlier you take it the better.

If this has been going on for 8 years, you're not going to adapt to it to a point where it no longer disturbs your sleep. Talk to the doctor who prescribed it for you and let him know about your sleep issues. He may want to switch you to a lower dose or wean you off of it.