1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird drinking thing

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Eric, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Eric

Anytime I drink, I get this odd reaction. It could be just one sip, but my skin flushes up to a bright shade of red (like a tomato), I get an upset stomach, a fever, a bit of a headache and a stuffy nose. I drank a bit of vodka and gatorade (hardly any vodka) recently and got all of the above within maybe a few minutes. Neither my parents, nor my sister get that kind of reaction. I was wondering what it might be, and if anything that can be done about it. I don't want to automatically be the designated driver for the rest of my life. =/

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Could alchohol be toooooo strong for you? lol, if yeah then I feel sorry for you *pat**pat*

3. concklin

Some people just have different reactions to alcohol. My roommate isn't able to get drunk because she just feels sick and gets a headache before feeling drunk so she has no choice but to stop. She even threw up once after drinking a glass of vodka&soda after dinner.

Another one of my friends loves cheap beer but throws up after having a little bit of liquor.

I don't have any immediate reactions but the next night after I drink, my skin will be really sensitive, like I have bruises all over my body. So if you know that these reactions happen specifically because you drink, maybe decrease your drinking or stop it all together.

4. ANightDude

I'd go with stopping all together. Sounds like you could be allergic or something along those lines, which a lot of people are.

Plus, I don't mean to sound preachy or anything, but you're 17. No need to be getting drunk. You'd be surprised how much fun you can have without getting drunk. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Eric

I should probably add, since you guys might think I'm drunk half the time because I wasn't quite clear, I only drink on rare social occasions, with family. And even at that, I don't get drunk.
    My bad. xD

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's possible you simply have an intolerance to it. I believe this is somewhat more likely to be found in Asians, especially Japanese, although even there it's not all that common. You might talk to the doctor to see what he says.

Lex

7. ANightDude

You're family gives you vodka?

Alright then. But if it's the same result after a few times and you didn't get drunk, then yeah, sounds like you have an intolerance to it.

8. Blondie

Blondie Guest

yup lex has hit it on the head again i have a friend like this

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really, really simple solution:

Don't drink.

Your body is telling you it doesn't like what you're doing, so listen to it :slight_smile:

10. KaraBulut

What you have sounds very much like acetaldehyde dehydrogenase deficiency. It's more common in people in people from the Far East and Pacific Rim but it can occur in people who aren't Asian.

Alcohol is poisonous in the human body. To process it, the body must convert it to acetic acid (vinegar). It's a complicated process but one of the enzymes needed to do this is acetaldehyde dehyrogenase. Some people don't produce enough of this enzyme to process alcohol. When they drink alcohol, they turn bright red, they get heart palpitations and they get very sick.

If you're having these symptoms when you consume alcohol, you're probably one of those people who is not able to process alcohol. Because of the danger, you probably should not drink.

11. x2x2x2x2y2

That's a little scary...

12. KaraBulut

It's something that we don't think about but I've taken care of more than a few young people with alcohol poisoning. The human body has adapted to processing alcohol but it can only process it at a certain rate. When that rate is exceeded, respiratory failure or aspiration occur.

Unfortunately, there are certain ethnic groups that lack the enzymes to process alcohol and for those groups, drinking can be lethal.

13. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Normally, ethyl alcohol is the only simple alcohol tolerable by humans. For the people karabulut is talking about, drinking ethyl alcohol is akin to drinking any of the other (universally toxic) alcohols, like propanol or isopropyl alcohol, which cause nausea, flushing, headache etc in everyone else. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol#Toxicology

unfortunately, you're intolerant to alcohol. There are similarly effective substitutes if you REALLY want to socially be on par with your drinking comrades, but they're not usually legal in western countries. Kava would probably be your best bet. It is by no means an analogue for alcohol but it produces similar social lubrication, minimal psychoactive side effects and seems to be less physically harmful than ethyl alcohol itself... It's also probably your most legal alternative. I'm not sure on the law elsewhere but i know at least consumption and possession of kava is not illegal in australia (for non-commercially viable quantities of kava, anyway)

14. WanderingRabbit

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should just drink GHB instead of alcohol. That's a good idea, right?

15. Eric

Alright, thanks guys. =]
    I guess I just won't drink.

I find it odd though that I'm probably alcohol-intolerant considering how much drinking goes on in my family. xD

16. KaraBulut

:dry: :bang:

17. RedState

Oh God I'm glad I don't have that problem...it sounds horrible.

If i quit drinking I think half the liquor stores in Jefferson and Shelby Counties would go out of business....and maybe a few bars in DC...nahhh...never mind they have Congress.

But, indeed, if it is something that your body simply cannot process the way a normal body can....(pains to say this) but you must cease the activity....but don't give up hope yet! There is always hope!

What was said here is probably pretty accurate...but have you been to an MD to get tested for all of this? If not, you may want to speak with your Dr. about this the next time you have a visit.

I always fall down when I drink.

I think vodka or gin causes vertigo...no I'm sure of it.

Because I'm positive Jack Daniels makes me wind up on someone else's floor, or the Jefferson County Detention Center.

I don't drink Jack Daniel's anymore.

#18 RedState, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010