1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anal sex healthy?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zontar, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Zontar

This is something that has been bugging me ever since I first had homosexual feelings.

Is the act of anal sex necessarily healthy? All I seem to read about the topic is medically-sound information telling me that the act will leave me extremely vulnerable to disease. HIV/AIDS is one sticking point I have...I'm worried I won't enjoy sex with any men if I'm constantly worried about HIV transmission.

Doesn't this bug anyone else? How worried should I be? Is it inevitable that I'll contract HIV?

2. x2x2x2x2y2

As long as you do it the right way(condoms, testing, etc.) it will be healthy.

Although if you feel you're not "into" anal sex, don't do it. Not ever gay/bi guy is into anal sex, some like blow jobs instead, others like frottage(I believe that's the term), etc.

3. Rikudo

It's good for your prostate. I think if I remember correctly your prostate releases hormones which help against prostate cancer. Not 100% sure about this so if I'm off sorry about that.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    x2 has got it. As long as yuor careful and honest with your parenters then there is nothing wrong, but don't feel like just because your gay you HAVE to have anal sex. I check the rulebook and nowhere in there could I find anything about anal being a requirment.

5. x2x2x2x2y2

True, but that's only if the prostate is hit though, which, I think, isn't always the case with anal sex.

6. Rikudo

Now once again I'm gonna have to say this off memory. But I think that it was also released by masturbation which if you're doing sex the bottom partner is well gonna get off by either getting themselves off or their partner getting them off. So either way those anti prostate cancer hormones are released.

7. x2x2x2x2y2

I think that's true too(I too am going off of memory). lol Touche!!!! :lol:

8. KaraBulut

You're asking two different questions.

Is anal sex necessary? No, not if you don't enjoy it. There are couples who do a lot of different things and have very healthy, happy sex lives but seldom have anal sex.

Is anal sex inherently unhealthy? No, no more than any other sex act.

Anal sex does have a particular risk for viral transmission- including hepatitis, HIV and human papilloma virus. But we also know that studies have shown that condoms greatly reduce transmission of HIV and hepatitis during anal sex. And we have very specific studies that show that couples where one partner is HIV positive can have active sex lives that include anal sex with low HIV transmission rates as long as they practice strict safer sex.

But it's a false sense of security to worry solely about HIV and solely about anal sex. There's a certain amount of risk that comes with all sexual activity and HIV isn't the only concern.

Take responsibility for your health and the health of your partner. The most important part of risk reduction is selecting your partners wisely and limiting the number of casual partners that you have. Practice safer sex consistently and assume everyone could be infected. Get tested for all STDs if you are sexually active.