1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dying Hair

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TheRoof, Nov 7, 2010.

1. TheRoof

Hey guys,

so I dyed my hair back in june, and even though I like my dyed hair color, it kinda damaged my hair, like it became thinner and when i wash my hair in the shower i lose more hair than i did before dying my hair (but not too much...it's not like i'm balding or something).
    so because it's been 5 months or so, my natural hair color came back in some parts, so my hair color doesn't look uniform...it's like part black, part brown.
    i really want to dye my hair again, but at the same time, I'm not sure if I should because I'm not sure if dying my hair will further damage my hair/scalp.
    Any advice? Thanks.

2. Jay

Jay

Every single time you dye your hair, regardless of what color it is, there is damage done to your hair and scalp. I advise you to either shave it off, or cut it short and dye the rest your natural color to avoid any further damage.

If you really want to dye it again, I would recommend not to do any bleaching. Regular dye only. Also, try not to wash your hair everyday, do every other day or every three days. Also to avoid some problems with your scalp try to not wash your hair the day you're getting it dyed or the day before.

PS. I dyed my hair orange last summer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. x2x2x2x2y2

^Exactly this, although if your hair's dark enough you might have to bleach it in order to make sure the dye stays in/shows(assuming that you continue dying it). That's what I had to do because my hair is pretty dark, but since yours is brown it might not be that dark.

P.S. My faux hawk was blue two years ago. :grin: lol

4. Jay

Jay

Not necessarily (about the if your hair is dark enough bit). If you're having it dyed at a salon, then you're fine to do so without any bleaching, ask the person in charge about the lightest you could go without any bleaching and if the color you want can be reached that way. I have almost black hair and I could reach a semi-light brown color without bleaching. (See picture below :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

The difference is, most salons use permanent dye (the one that will not fall off after X times yo wash your hair) but the dye-it-yourself kits have lower quality dyes which most likely fall off if not bleached first. The difference might be budget related, at least here in El Salvador is more expensive to go to a hair salon/hair studio and dye it than to buy the dye at a supermarket and do it yourself, however you will be needing to dye it more regularly if done at home.

One last thing: If your hair is already damaged don't do any "fantasy" color (pink, bright red, metallic blue, green, etc.) since those needs a 100% bleaching first. It will not just hurt like a big ass bitch, your hair will fall of if it's damaged. Stick to dark to mildly light browns

#4 Jay, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
  5. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Can I ask I want to darken my hair to a black or a dark navy or something then add another colour, could you give me some advice.

6. Jay

Jay

Depending on what is your current color, it can be done, or it cannot. Oddly enough, if your hair is considerably blond, dark colors will be harder to have them stick. If you want to dye it black or dark navy (I love that color, by the way), you should have it done with a permanent dye. Regular dyes that they sell in supermarkets usually wash off after a week or so, and that's not good. You can either buy the permanent dye yourself at a hair studio or have it done at a salon.

Sometimes is necessary to bleach the hair if you want to go from black or darker colors to a lighter color. It also depends on your hair, if your hair is thick enough to go through several bleaching/dyes and not fall off then I hate you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. If you want to bleach it, my advise will be to first try it with a small section in the back of your head to see if the hair falls off or not. You don't want to go bald, right?

If you want to have highlights/low-lights after you've dyed your hair dark then that can be easily done either by not applying dye to certain bits of your hair, or applying a lighter tone while having your hair dyed. I would not recommend to dye first, bleach later for the risk of losing hair.

7. Jay

Jay

Yeah, most of darker dyes will stick, however I still highly recommend to have a permanent dye instead of a do-it-yourself dye since there is still a risk for it to fall off. Have you dyed your hair before?

8. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Never, i never been brave euought to do my own thing

9. Jay

Jay

Good, that means that you will be able to dye it two or three times without it being considerably damaged. If you want to go dark then blond, you're good to go. Just make sure you use permanent dye and special shampoo for dyed hair. Also, if you can, try to have a protein treatment done every other week so your hair won't get that damaged and to have shiny healthy hair. =D

Also I am in the obligation to warn you: Taking care of dyed hair is like having a kid, it can turn very expensive. :S

10. British Lad

British Lad Guest

After the dyeing it how long is a save waiting time for your hair to have it re dyed with out Marjory damaging it?

11. TheRoof

Thanks for the advice.
    But the ones in the market are so much cheaper though. I don't know. I might just not dye my hair again because my hair became so thin after the two times I dyed my hair.

12. Jay

Jay

Oh yes, the ones in the market are cheaper for a reason, their quality doesn't match the ones used by professionals or sold at hair studios. Which also means that the more you use it, the more your hair is going to get damaged, that is why it is very important to have some sort of treatment (usually protein treatments are the best, keratin-based products could help as well) applied to your hair and scalp after you dye it.

After you dye your hair, the best is to wait at least 24 hours. It's not really about the hair because every single time you dye it, some damage is going to be done and well, while those treatments I spoke about help, they ain't miracles-in-a-bottle either. It's about your scalp.

The scalp is one of the most sensible parts of your skin (won't go into detail on who beats it, you naughty naughty people :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and the reason why it is so fragile is due to the great amount of small veins and arteries that lay right under it. Also there are a lot of nerves there, so you need to be careful when doing stuff to it. Notice how you bleed a lot when you have a cut in your scalp? And notice how the amount of blood is higher compared to a similar wound anywhere else?

Every person's scalp is different. And while some can handle it better than others... It. Will. HURT. Like. A. Big. Ass. BITCH. That is why you should wait at least 24 hours between dyes, because there can be damage done to your scalp and that won't be good. You can get burnt, then they will have to shave it all off so you can heal. Not good, right?

That is why I advise you to not wash your hair the day you're getting it dyed and preferably not the day before too. The oil your scalp produces can decrease the amount of burning you might feel. If you're getting it bleached first and then dyed, good luck!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just for you to get an idea: bleaching is more like bee stings, and the actual dye is like acid :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But well, beauty is pain, right?

13. British Lad

British Lad Guest

haha Well I don't wash my hair regularly at all so I should be fine lol like one or twick a week or something stupid like that

14. Jay

Jay

Let us know how it goes! :grin:

15. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I let my hair grow longer before I dye it