1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meds lowering sex drive

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Nov 7, 2010.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

So I recently went on a med called Abilify. Around the same time I went on it, my sex drive has been pretty low, atleast compared to before. Before I would need(yes, need lol) to masturbate 1-3 times a day. Now I'm completely fine not masturbating for a couple of days.

Is this the side-effect of the meds or some random libido change??? Also, will this continue while I take the meds or is this only temporary??

2. Jay

Jay

I quickly found this: http://bipolar-disorder.emedtv.com/abilify/abilify-sexual-side-effects.html

Make sure you talk about this to your doctor or physician next time you have the chance to, and well it might be as well temporal if it is induced by the medicine: when you stop taking it, you'll be back to beast mode again.

And try not to jerk off that much! You will enjoy it more :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. RedState

A loss in sex drive is a possible side effect of some anti-d's. For some people it can be temporary as your body adjusts to the medication, or it can last as long as you are on it. It also could depend what other meds you could be taking and dosage levels.

Regardless, tell your doc next time you have an appointment with him. If it becomes too much of an issue you may want to ask him to change the dosage or gradually take you off it.

4. KaraBulut

Abilify has a lower incidence of sexual side effects than the other class of drugs such as Prozac, Effexor, Zoloft, etc.

But Abilify is often prescribed for mania, it can affect the libido by suppressing the hyper-sexuality that can be seen during manic periods. This would explain both the reasons why you were compelled to masturbate several times a day and why, now that you're seeing leveling off of your mania, you're also seeing less compulsion to masturbate.

5. x2x2x2x2y2

Thanks everyone!!