1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accutane + depression

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by xballetxbeautyx, Nov 21, 2010.

1. I've had bad acne for probably the last six or seven years, starting around fourth grade. It was the worst when I was eleven or twelve, then I went onto medication. I've been on three or four different kinds of medication, including birth control. The last year or two it's really started to clear up, but I've still got some problem spots and some scarring.

Since I want to go into theatre (stage or film or both, I haven't decided) I think it's pretty important that I get my skin completely clear. My dermatologist has suggested Accutane, which I am considering but I have a few concerns.

1. I know one possible side effect is depression. I've already had problems with depression and cutting, and I was in therapy for several months last year. I'm worried that this will bring it back/make it worse.

2. I know you also have to get blood tests done monthly, and I have major issues with needles. My dermatologist has offered to give me Xanax on the day of the tests... has anyone had that done, and has it worked? Are there any side effects that I should know about?

I know there have been threads on accutane before, but I hope it's okay that I posted this one since it's pretty specific. If not, mods, delete away. Thanks, guys.

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Well heres some reaons for them:

Stress
    Not enough Vitamins
    Too much face touching
    Your 15 your still in puberty

And looking at your pics you don't seem to be that bad

3. Spectre

Accutane usually works but is the last line of defence for acne. There are many possible side effects. What have you tried so far?

4. KaraBulut

Accutane is a relatively safe drug. It's been around for 25 years, so there's quite a bit of experience and research about the side effects. Most of the people who take the drug have side effects to a certain degree but it does forever alter acne- particularly cystic acne and acne that affects the face.

The issue is that this is a very powerful drug- it affects the human body quite dramatically and when there are adverse reactions, they can be quite severe.

Regarding your fear of needles- have you talked to your therapist about cognitive-behavioral therapy? CBT has a very good success rate with phobias and this might be a good opportunity to address your fears and take care of them once and for all.

5. Beachboi92

i took accutane for 7 months and it helped alot for my face but it didn't clear everything up i still have trouble but it is still a really good med and since using it my problems have gotten exponentially less problematic.

I was actually on depression medication at the time of taking accutane and found it didn't affect my mood personally. If you are very worried about it then while your taking it see a therapist to make sure there are no changes to your mood.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER, it dries you out like no other all over your body i especially had issues with chapped lips. Drink lots of water and use some sort of medicated lip balm or something like that.

I was also incredibly phobic of needles but i never took any sort of pills or anything. The first time i went in a shook like a lost puppy but after 7 months it was significantly easier to deal with and the places you go to have your blood taken are run by professionals who know how to make it easy. You can also try laying down when they take blood. Also close your eyes or look away, pinch yourself really hard on another place of your body as they are about to start the process to dull the pinch of the needle, and either keep pinching or squeeze something. The sensation on another part of your body can really ease the process. Those are all of my tricks for dealing with needles xD

I remember when i told one lady who was taking my blood about how i much i hated needles she said "Well its not like anyone LIKES to get stabbed with a needle, you just have to realize that it's as bad as you imagine it to be in your mind."