1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight loss

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Johnnieguy, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Johnnieguy

I've been working out longer lately. I've extended my workouts from 30 min to 45 min, and have been primarily been using the stairmaster. I burn roughly 500 calories per session.

I've also made some conscious decisions to change my diet. I've always eaten well, but have been snacking on carrots more than chips and salsa. Lunch is ususally yogurt, fruit, maybe some cheese. I still consume some unhealthy things (ie cookies).

Since I started keeping track of my weight loss, my weight fluctuated for the first couple of days, now it has been steadily declining..But I am not sure if it is too rapid.

Below is my diary:

Date Weight
    5-Nov 193.8
    6-Nov 193.1
    7-Nov 196.3
    9-Nov 194.4
    11-Nov 192.4
    12-Nov 191.6
    13-Nov 191
    14-Nov 191.4
    18-Nov 191.1
    19-Nov 187.7
    20-Nov 187.1
    21-Nov 186.7

Is there anything unusual about this pattern so far?

2. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

You should only be losing a pound or two a week, it is the healthiest way. Everything seems normal. However..

6-Nov 193.1
    7-Nov 196.3

How'd you gain over 3 pounds in a day? Are you weighing yourself naked or close to it?

3. Johnnieguy

All I have on when I weigh myself is a towel.. I am using a digital scale in the locker room at my gym.

4. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Maybe you were just more wet? Or the towel was..

5. Mr.Pushover

The best time to weigh yourself, as I've been told before, is in the morning before you consume any of your daily intake of calories, because it's more accurate and when you eat, usually your body weight will go up a little bit, add that to the fact that your body fluctuates about 2 pounds a day

Also, it's best to weigh yourself about once a week at the same time, just so you don't stress yourself after it gives u something totally weird looking on the scale

6. KaraBulut

Your weight loss is fine. When overweight people trim carbs, they will not retain as much water and there's quite a bit of weight that comes off in the first couple of months. You will level off and the weight loss will slow.

Weight, by itself, is not very effective at tracking progress. If you've just eaten or if you have a full bladder, it will throw the numbers off slightly- making it look like you've gained weight.

The goal is to add muscle- which will add weight- but trim off fat- which will lower weight.

The best way to track your progress is to do a body fat percentage calculation and track it. Many of the better gyms will measure this for you using very basic calculation.

In addition to weight, also take measurements of upper arm, chest, waist and thighs. Taking pictures periodically will also help you track your progress. You should see muscle gains in your arms and chest. At the same time, you will see loss of fat around your midsection. You won't see it as fast as your friends will and unless you're tracking your measurements, the first time you notice it will be when your pants begin to feel loose around the waist.

Congrats on the weight loss- keep up the good work.

7. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its the cardio and the diet.

just eat well.

protein is over rated!

I eat anything I want to.

In moderate quantities, of course...!

(!)

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your weight fluxes normally between 2-3 pounds per day depending on food eatten and digestive process. Its nothing to worry about, sometimes when you start working out you can "shock" your body because it isn't used to it, so you may retain some water, keep it up and things will even out.