1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In complete AGONY

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Revan, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone. So basically I've been dealing with a LOT of lower back pain. Oddly enough I'm not too bad when laying down or standing up, but if I'm sitting/slouching in a chair, or trying to get up from my bed, it's just like unbelievable pain. It's almost crippling and I'm hunched over at times when I first get up and have to take a couple seconds (like...15-30) to straighten up. I've had massages from registered massage therapists before, and that's barely done anything besides temporary relief. The past two months it's been like ten times worse. My mom thinks it's just a mixture of improper posture and stress and the weight of books and such I carry to and from school, and while it probably can contribute, I'm almost worried it's more than that. It's not ciatica because I'm not feeling pain in my buttocks region (Where I think you can feel pain if it's your ciatic nerve), it's just a lot of pain, constantly, it's like never any real relief except maybe when I'm standing up but eventually it attacks me even then. Should I be seeing a chiropractor or my doctor about this? Do you guys think I could have seriously injured myself? Let me know...

2. lostinthought9

Well, considering this has been going on for at least two months now, I'd say it's time to see a chiropractor. They'd probably help you more than any one of us could. Sorry, I don't really have any medical advice to give you. Just hope you feel better, and keep us updated! :slight_smile:

3. RedState

I would see an actual doctor other than a chiropractor...but that is also a personal choice, I simply don't trust chiropractors and think they are nothing more than high paid witch doctors, but some people swear by them.

Since it's been going on for so long it's more than just a pulled muscle.
    Slipped disk maybe? I head those can be agonizing and cause constant pain.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll try and get in to see a doctor at some point. I can't afford seeing a chiro anyway, pretty much bankrupt at the moment lol. I'd like to hear Kara's thoughts too but I will see a doctor at some point soon.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a similar problem when I start working at the hotel, my doctor told me sitting for long periods can put strain on your lower back. You need to get up and stretch every 1/2 hour.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew school was a problem about it. You can't help but wonder how many students' backs are ruined because of school...

7. Darkwing65

YOGA!

If it's nothing serious, then i recommended yoga.

8. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's to do with posture I would recommend Alexander Technique as a possible solution. Basically it's a way in which your body re-learns how to hold itself correctly, and this can be an effective cure for back pain due to posture problems. But definitely see a doctor first, in case it's something serious.

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is an exercise my doctor showed me to help work out the lower back. Stand straight and place your arms out in front of you. Bend your knees and bend your arms, moving your elbows past your sides, in a rowing motion. Hold for a moment and return to the orginal position. Repeat

10. QuietDude

I suffer from a very painful lower back and I've had the pain since I was 16 on and off and for me it probably is my posture that has caused it because im always slouching.

I went to a physiotherapist and it really helped, maybe you should check it out.

11. KaraBulut

As guys get older, we do have a tendency to have lumbar and sacro-iliac pain. Sometimes that can be a temporary irritation. Sometimes it's an early sign of intervertebral disk problems.

If it lasts more than a few days and isn't relieved by antiinflammatory medications and ice packs, you should see your doctor. They will usually want a CT or MRI if it is an acute problem.

Chiropracty does help with these types of things. I don't buy the whole theory behind it all but what they do in an adjustment (which is also what a doctor of osteopathy will do) does help for temporary exacerbations. Most of what a chiropractor does is treatment. It doesn't get at the underlying cause of the problem. So, you should see a doctor before you consider going to a chiropractor or a physical therapist.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys :slight_smile:

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was also wondering do you drink a lot caffine? I've been off it for a while, just starting drinking coffee again and I've had some bad back pain the last few days. A friend of mine told me caffine can use muscle pain, in nature it is a natural pesticide. I don't know if this has any merritt, but it might be worth thinking about.

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I drink a lot of tea yes....it doesn't make sense though when tea's also known to lower risk for heart disease, etc.

15. mischa91

I had back pain and shoulder pain for years, i went to my doctor about the shoulder pain and she referred me to a physiotherapist. Pain went away for a while but came back so i decided to go to a chiropractor, i'm so glad i did. He actually took xrays (which the others hadn't done before) and found i have a slight left curve in my spine, my hips don't line up properly and my neck looks like i've had whiplash, oh and i have an extra bone that hasn't fused correctly at the base of my spine. I had to go see him for a few months pretty often and i still go every 3 weeks; i would give my left arm to this man, he's made my life so much less painful.

It is going to cost me a small fortune when i actually get the bills in but i think in the long run it'll be worth it. I actually look forward to going to see him to have my neck cracked.

16. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    are you drinking Green tea or regular?

Green is best and its full good stuff for you

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I drink black, which is also wonderful because it helps reduce your risk of diabetes, stroke and heart disease.

18. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umm silly question, but is it bad that I am having trouble walking because of my back and that the pain is now also in my legs?

19. KaraBulut

Did you see the doctor for the xrays of your back?

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I just saw a doctor and she prescribed me for physio. That's all she did.