1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to develop my body while I'm still growing,right?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Alex1705, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Alex1705

So,im an average 16 years old guy.
    I'd say my weight is perfect for my height.
    I have a little belly fat but not seenable through just a shirt.
    The problem is,I'm pretty weak and my shoulders are kinda really narrow?
    I want to toughen up and broaden my shoulders a little bit.
    How can I do this at home,without gym?

I just want exercises that will toughen by arms up and broaden my shoulders ^^

Thanks <33

2. maverick

Push-ups. Do them to exhaustion every day (as many as you can until you collapse from muscle fatigue). Your upper body will thank you. :thumbsup:

Once you get good, you can move on to the more difficult times of "military" pushups (finger, one-hand, etc...)

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure how clear this will be without showing you, but i'll try.

Go into A-Frame position. Feet and plams on the ground. Bend one leg and turn your hands so your fingers are pointing inward, toward each other. Then push your elbows out, like a push up. then switch legs.

4. Alex1705

@Maverick I hate doing pushups but I guess it's time to start. They are just SO HARD.

@malachite I'm not quite sure what you mean,i've tried doing what you said and im just making these stupid poses lol.

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

lmao I just tried that .. I'm confused haha

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its hard to decribe I'll try and find a pic of someone doing it

7. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Doing it that much will cause muscle damage. He has to start out small and gradually increase the amount of push-ups.

8. Emberstone

Also, you cant really broaden your shoulders too much. if you have a narrow frame, you will always have a narrow frame unless your skeletal structure continues to grow, which is possible, but dont hold your breath for your shoulders to get too much wider if your 16.

All you can really do is develop your shoulder muscles, and round them out, but it wont broaden your shoulders too much.

push ups can be a good start, but lifting will always be better. the only issue with that is that you're still at a growing age, even if your growth is slowing down a bit. if you do lift, lower weight (just enough to feel like you get a burn) and limiting yourself to maybe once a week, and only a few different lifts, you might be able to get some development. you just have to also focus on flexability. shoulder injuries are common in young people who over do lifting. low weight and good stretching can prevent injuries... but when a shoulder injury, once you injure it, your practically injured for life in that it is easy to injure yourself again once you have a rotor cuff injury.

push ups is compound, so they will only take you so far. if you want to grow your shoulder, you should isolate the muscles with low enough weight that your risk of injury and overtraining is small, but you still get the burn. dumbell shoulder presses are my favorate, and latteral raises, while I do not like them as much, are good for hitting the middle part of the deltoids, and if you do them bent over slightly, the posterior deltoids.

Dont listen to anyone who says you have to lift big to get big. I lift what challanges me, and still get good muscle mass from it. it doesnt matter if someone else is lifted 250 pounds on a bench press, because they likely are overtraining anyways.

9. kettlkorn

I believe this question would best be answered by a book on weight training at your local library, or a website for intro level weight training.

But if you want advice from personal experience, I'll do my best. For the best results, any kind of free weights are optimal. (an actual bar with weights on it) Pushups are a good start for you, but if you want to develop your entire upper body they can't be the only thing. Chin ups are another good one that requires no home equipment. Find any safe ledge you can hold on to and have at it. And if you don't have any actual weights at home, you can use anything that has some weight to it. Phone books, cans of paint, whatever you have laying around. Just make sure they are things you cant hurt yourself with. (If you've ever seen the Rocky movies you know what I mean xD)

As far as frequency of training is concerned, you have to know there is a difference between good pain and bad pain. When I was 16 we lifted 3 times a week, MWF. Each Monday was chest, back, abs. Wednesday was legs, Friday biceps, triceps, deltoids. Nobody got injured and that schedule gave each group a whole week to rest before it was used again.

And just like everyone else has said, do not be concerned with numbers at this point. Start out small and work your way up. I started from that same point myself, actually.

Not to say that you HAVE to do these things, just that's what worked for me...

I feel like I'm rambling xDDD

10. Emberstone

oh, and I forgot one thing, and it is crucial if your looking to put on mass.

You should give a minimum of 2 days rest to your muscles after you work them. if does little good to work out if you do not give proper time for you muscles to recoup. muscles are broken down in the gym/working out, and in rest, you repair the controlled damage you do, which makes them stronger, and makes them grow. They grow when you rest.

it doesnt matter how small a muscle group is, all muscle takes approxemetly too days with a good diet to repair itself fully.

Also, you will always be sore after you start, or change up a routiene; your body is not used to working out in that way, and so after giving yourself a few days rest, even if you are still sore, do a light workout, and your body will begin to grow used to it, and you wont get as sore as time progresses. soreness doesnt allways mean you did something wrong.

When I get back into working out, I find that I am sore for the first three days, with usually the third day being not too sore, but once I work out, the next day I am fine.

Also, if you do get weights, bodybuilding.com has a good excerise database, and they have videos on how to do proper form for each. as long as you do good form, you should be safe from injuries.