1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exercise Advice

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Walolas, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Walolas

Well I'm starting to reach the point where I kinda wanna drop 75 pounds or so but my main issue that I havn't yet is one I've had for a while. I hate stating it bluntly but I got a decent pair of man boobs(to be refered as moobs from now on) on me. I like to joke around with my size and what not but these cause me the greatest form of self esteem loss that I could get.

Now I been thinking of hitting the gym soon and try to seriously get into shape while I'm still "young". However the thing that really stops me are my moobs. I started trying Wii Fit to try and burn some fat and hopefully the moobs with them but I was wondering if there was an specific exercise to target my upper body area to significantly increase the burn rate of the moobs.

I would care less if I still had a stomach that smacked people on the other side of the room if I went to the gym. It's the moobs that are holding me back from going. Anyone got any good exercises or even food combos that might target that part of the body to reduce them in size?

2. maverick

Hate to tell you, but the only way to reduce your moobs is to decrease your overall fat percentage. Your best bet is probably to do some serious cardio at least three times a week, and more often if you're trying to lose a serious amount of weight.

There are no exercises that can decrease your moobs, but a generally high protein, low fat diet will help you shed body fat.

I think the easiest way to put your diet in check is to literally write down everything that goes into your mouth. I read a study that said people eat 30% less calories just by recording them alone, so that in and of itself will give you an advantage in losing weight. Plus you're less likely to binge or make bad food choices if you know you're going to have to write it down. Also, it's easy to overdo your portions, so do some research online and count calories. You'd be amazed at how many extra calories you take in just because you're not thinking about it.

Alcohol is also really high calorie too, especially beer and wine, so you might want to cut back significantly or even teetotal for awhile.

Good luck!

3. Emberstone

there is no way to remove fat from one part of your body specifically without liposuction.

when you excercise, you get your heart rate up, and get into a zone where it starts burning the stores of fat to use for energy once you use up the stores of energy that are stored in your muscles, which tend to be for short, quick movements, like if your pushing the weight during a bench press, for example. when you burn fat, it is burned from all over your body, and there is no way, dispite alot of tv commercial claims, to target certain fat to burn. it will be a long effort, but you just have to keep up with it, and you will reach your goal.

just dont get discouraged.

I would lift weights, because the stronger your muscle, the more your metabolisem changes. more muscle means you burn fat more effectively in cardio/areobic excercise. it will, of course, slow your results in the beginning because you are adding the weight of muscle (which is denser, so it takes up much less space), but in the long run, having the muscle mass will help you shed the pounds you want to lose, and keep them off when you get to your goal weight because it will help change your metabolisem to make it harder for your body to put the fat back on.

just keep it up, and don't get discouraged.

4. Walolas

thanks for responses. recording what I eat sounds good but since nearly everyday at 9 am I get a free fast food meal from my work probably doesnt help. I don't drink alcohol so I don't have to cut back on that :grin:

I was curious because I know certain exercises target specific muscles in the body and was just curious if any of that can lead to more specific fat reduction loss in those areas while doing an overall loss.

And I am truely aware this will take months to do despite some comercials claims. Thanks for the advise again!

5. Emberstone

muscles serve a different function than fat, so no, you cant work a certain muscle group, and expect it to burn fat in that area. muscles push and pull, allowing movement, and fat is just a store of energy the body can use.

6. Walolas

ty for the science lesson. I was thinking more of working a certain muscle group would have it require more energy and therefore syphon energy from the nearest form of fat instead of from fat storage on a far side of the body if it truely didnt need to with a supply right next door.

7. Darkwing65

I think maverick kinda hit the nail on the head pretty squarely, but here are my 2 cents.

Well, you have moobs because you are over weight. So you need to loose weight. They'll go away eventually as your whole body starts to loose fat. You cant just exercise one part of your body and expect it to get into shape while the rest doesn't. In fact, its better to exercise your whole body so it it more efficient at burning fat; meaning not only doing upper body but legs as well.

The best exercise for weight loss is cardio, cardio, and more cardio, but weight training can help build muscle which will in turn burn more fat. Also, exercise can be almost anything you want it to be. Walking for an hour can have the same affect. Just get up and do something, get creative.

The key to loosing weight is diet. Now, i'm not talking about some crazy crash diet, or eating like a damn rabbit. All i'm saying is reduce your caloric intake. Basically just eat less and try to stay away from food high in fat. An average person needs about 2000 calories to sustain their weight, more for those who work out. So, attempt to keep track of how much you eat and try to stay below 2000 calories. Working out, while getting in shape is a good idea for everyone, will only assist weight loss if accompanied by diet. It's worth noting that losing weight isn't an over night venture. It takes a while. A healthy weight loss is about 1-2 pounds a week.

Finally, don't let your body stop you from going to the gym. There is nothing more respectable then a person working hard to get into shape and loose weight. Besides, you're going to the gym for you, not for those meat heads at the gym who probably wont make fun of you for having moobs. So don't give up, you can do it.

#7 Darkwing65, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good advice and comments from everyone so far.

I'll echo the comment that no matter what you do, exercising one part of the body more than another will have absolutely no impact whatsoever on burning more fat in that part of the body. It doesn't matter how many different ways you ask the question, the answer will be the same. :slight_smile:

One other important piece: As we have studied weight loss in more detail, scientists have discovered that leptin, a hormone involved in fat loss and appetite control, is crucial to the understanding. Leptin helps control your appetite, and is involved in the burning of fat when you exercise. But your body can develop resistance to leptin, which prevents your body from burning fat even when you exercise. And the fat itself, when you have a fair amount of it, increases leptin resistance.

So if you already have a fair amount of fat, you need to take additional steps besides exercising and eating a healthier diet. When you eat starchy foods (grains, breads, potatoes, cereals, etc), those increase leptin resistance. So do sugars, even those in fruits and fruit juices, tomatoes, and veggies like carrots. And high fructose corn syrup, a truly evil food, is highly involved in increasing leptin resistance, and it's in just about every prepared food.

So if you want to make a difference quickly, eat a high quality diet without the above foods, rich in complex carbs (veggies are the best bet) drastically reduce intake of fats, eliminate fruits and sugars from your diet. (search "leptin resistance diet) on Google) Do that for a few weeks in combination with an aggressive exercise program combining cardio (45-60 minutes 3 to 5 times a week) with weight resistance training, and the pounds will start coming off pretty quickly.

9. KaraBulut

There's a couple of earlier threads about this topic. And it's surprisingly common.

http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38605
    http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35338

Unless it's male breast tissue (aka gynecomastia), the only way to lose the fat deposits on your chest is to lose the fat deposits everywhere on your body. This means getting serious about your diet and your workout. It means being committed. It means that you're going to have to get past your self-consciousness and do this.

A workout partner may help. Having someone to go to the gym with will be a motivator and it will help you get past your self-consciousness at the gym.

But the gym doesn't have to be your only workout. Walk during breaks at work. Bike to run short errands instead of driving. If you're chatting with friends on the phone, put on the headset and walk while you're talking.

A 75 pound weight loss will change your life. But it will be like having a second job for a while. You will have to plan your meals. You will have to use a lot of free time to exercise. You will have to make a lot of changes to your daily life and you'll need get past things that undermine your commitment- like your "moobs".

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well before you I get into the physical part, i'm talk about the mental part. You need to understand this is not going to easy, you won't see results over night, and you're going to be in a lot of pain for a while when you start.

That said....

Cardio and carbs. A good combo to help loose weight. Cardio is anything at that gets your heart rate up and keeps it there. Running, jumping jacks, swimming laps all good things to try. I been losing weight recently doing just this, i'm down 10 Lbs and you can see the results on my profile.

One thing you need to know about loosing weight is that starving yourself DOES NOT work. Your brain has two modes feast and famine. If you eat 4 - 5 small meals a day you can trigger you feast mode, which basically means your brain understands that food is available and it doesn't need to store fats. Now this doesn't mean you can fried chicken everyday, you still need to eat healthy.

I'll share some links that can help

http://teambeachbody.com/about/newsletters/-/nli/195#80357550

http://teambeachbody.com/about/newsletters/-/nli/194#78705509

Message me with your progress, I've been working out and feeling great for about 4 months now. I'd like to help if I can

Good Luck :thumbsup: