1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STD Tests...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Austin, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to get tested, but I don't know how to go about doing it.

I do not know if this is odd or not, but I do not get yearly physicals or anything from doctors. I don't get check ups really. Knock on wood, but I have not been sick where I needed to see a doctor (other than my lung surgery) for probably more than a year. So, unless I get the flu or something I won't see a general doctor probably. Even though I'm 18 I'm not independent enough to really know how to go to doctors on my own. So, I'd ask a doctor, but, I don't see them really. And how do I explain the need to go to the doctors to my parents. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oh and we don't have a regular general doctor really.

Other than how can I find a way to see the doctors about an STD test, I am curious how STD test work.

Also, is there any other places to go get them? I have some concerns about clinics since, If they require blood tests (which I guess they might), I do not really wish to use needles from a random clinic... idk. Paranoid.

2. KaraBulut

It depends on which tests you need.

A doctor doing a physical will usually do a blood test for syphilis (called an RPR) on most patients, either on request or as part of pre-surgical testing.

Tests for gonorrhea usually involve a urine sample or a swab of the urethra. Most of the time, a routine physical will require a urinalysis which will involve qualitative testing that looks for infections of all sorts (not specifically gonorrhea). But quite often in teenagers, we'll ask for gonorrhea testing with a urine sample because it's just so common.

HIV testing can be in two forms. If you have reason to suspect that you may have been exposed (either by a unsafe sex or a condom failure), then the blood test is the way to go. If you just want a routine screening, there's an oral swab test available that is painless but not as accurate as the blood test.

The AIDS service organizations usually offer free or low cost HIV testing. The nearest to you is ASFOC (http://www.ocasf.org/hiv_testing-client-ver.htm).

The public health departments usually offer free testing for all STDS. The same link (above) lists the clinics in Santa Ana and Laguna Beach.

Planned Parenthood also offers complete STD testing and counseling services for gays and lesbians at many of their clinics (a service most people don't know they offer). The testing is usually on a sliding scale ability-to-pay basis. http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/sexual-orientation-gender-4329.htm

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the answer. :slight_smile: I'll look into those places.

Edit: It's completely safeee righttt?

#3 Austin, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if by safe you're referring to health risks from the testing, they're pretty much nonexistent. At most they have to draw a vial of blood, but for many of the tests they can do a simple pin prick or mouth swab.

5. Jay

Jay

And I guess confidential as well. I would *think* that as any test result concerning YOUR health, the doctor or Nurses are in the obligation of talking about it just to you.