1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really strange dream

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by wallrose, Dec 22, 2010.

1. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Does anybody know, or have any very sound and convincing theories about what dreams mean? I dont mean bogus rubbish about their symbolism and predictions and garbage like that, I mean the reason we have dreams, and what the contents mean to us.
    The other night I had a really strange dream, and it has been bugging me since. I just can't imagine what my brain was doing, it was so strange. I hear people say that dreams are a way of your mind cataloguing the days events, or that they are your mind trying to help you overcome fears, deal with situations, or bring important or forgotten things to light. I have also heard that they can be some form of self analysis. But I dont understand how anything in that dream could relate to anything in my life.

So, my very, very, very strange dream:
    I'm at school, and a crop of corn I have been growing in class transforms into a group of old women. One of the women begins picking kernels off her face and eating them, saying the crunchy ones are best, and the woman next to her starts laughing. My friend, sitting next to me, urges me to pay attention to class, so I turn around in my seat, and discover that we are having a test in class (It may be important to note that all of this is happening in a forest, near a dirt trail.) about flying, specifically; how many of us will end up becoming flying teachers in the future. (Whilst I was doing the test, the dream became very lucid, and VERY detailed and realistic, in a realism in dreams sense.) The front page of the test had some answers on it, in a table/grid, and I thought the test was to write down all of those answers correctly in the table on the next sheet. It turns out, the test wasn't a knowledge test, but more of a personality test, rating things 1-5 or some similar system. Once I realised I was doing the test wrong, I wanted a fresh test sheet, but I couldnt get one from anybody. I start to get angry because they wont let me have another sheet of paper to start over, and I end up failing the test. I am apparently in class at Hogwarts, and Yoda is the headmaster. (This is pretty normal for my dreams actually, someone somwehere they shouldnt be, but it still seeming normal.) At some point soon afterwards, the next class is supposed to start, but I dont have my timetable yet, so I dont know what class I have next. I end up skipping the next class. I went and sat down somewhere, under a table/in a corner, in a big room with stone walls covered in vines and no ceiling, so lots of sunlight was getting in. But I decide to get up because I didnt want brownies (little hob folk, not chocolate brownies) crawling on me.

Normally I dont worry about dreams, but this was just so wierd, more in its detail than its contents, and I cant understand why my mind would think up something like this. My dreams tend to be wierd, but never complicated, or detailed, or that long.
    I'm in no physical peril here, so nobody feel compelled to respond to this, but still, any advice/help/whatever would be great. I just wish I could let it go, but it wont leave my mind.

2. Stuie

The reason we dream is actually unknown. There's quite a few different convincing theories, but scientists don't actually know for certain why we dream. We don't even know where in the brain dreams originate. We know that animals have them as well, so they're not uniquely human, but still they're pretty odd.

Personally, I wouldn't try to read too much into your dreams. Often they're somehow related to your recent life, but sometimes completely random. Like how last night, I dreamt I was eating scones with cream and jam with my uncle. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I think I saw a scone yesterday and thought that scones are tasty, but that's about the only connection I can draw with that and real life. However that dream you had is particularly surreal, but yeah, unless they're causing you major distress and waking you up during the night regularly, they're not an issue.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I firmly believe that dreams are the brain sorting through stuff. Things we've heard, seen, read, thought about - with a heavy dose of whimsy and creativity. I've had amazing dreams, weird-ass dreams, scary dreams, fun dreams, and hot-as-hell dreams. And I think it's just my brain being my brain. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. KaraBulut

As Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

Some dreams have meaning. Some dreams are just the irrational thoughts of the sleeping mind.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dreams are your subconcious sortings through things, many times if its obvious other not so much and sometimes they are just silly, but its sticking in your head then it is something that is on your mind for a reason, something that is bothing you or something you want to deal with but either can't or won't

6. TroubledRyan

I beleive dreams help you when you are distressed. Other then that they tend to be really random for me, or I have no recall of them.

7. TheWanderer

Im going agree with the above people that said dreams are just a "sorting." If I had to go with any theory.

I really don't want anyone to actually figure out what a dream is though. Dreams to me are a playful experience, an almost natural joke with oneself. They are mine and mine only. If a scientist were to actually prove what a dream is I would suddenly feel a bit lost.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally sounds like an amusing dream. Just be happy your mind had such a cool dream :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. RaeofLite

I dreamt that I was in a Wizard Concentration Camp last week. Considering I haven't watched any Harry Potter for a long time, I have no idea where that came from. Go figure?

10. poetofdarkness

i personally think that only some dreams have meaning, whilst others can be completely random or be related to something you've thought about recently or they could express your hidden desires. for example: yesterday i was thinking about what it would be like to kiss my crush and last night i had a dream that we were kissing :icon_redf , and a few weeks ago i had a dream that a unicorn made out of cotton candy pushed me off a cliff and i was going to hit my head on the rocks but a leprochaun broke my fall and then i stole his gold and ate an apple. so maybe your dream was just random. maybe you secretly like to eat crunchy corn. maybe your brain's on drugs. maybe you have an overactive imagination.maybe you have a test coming up. could be anything really...

---------- Post added 7th Jul 2014 at 02:33 PM ----------

i like your profile pic btw