1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

car sick

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jayden, Oct 11, 2007.

1. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    why do people get car sick??? peter my best friend got very sick in our car last week. he just slept all that night but was better the next day. ive never got car sick but nathan my 10yo brother has once

2. Louise

I'v been car sick since I was a tiny weeny baby... from what I have been told it is a problem with the balance in the inner ear and the messages your brain recieves from your eyes compared with what your ears are feeling... euh something like that.

Closing your eyes, taking deep breaths, lying down, all these things can help, there are also homeopathic medicins that can help but I haven't found them very efficient for me.

Once the car/boat/plane stops moving and your eyes and ears have time to settle down (normally a few hours, you do need to sit still or lie down) the feeling of nausia dies down.

Sitting in the back of the car, reading, writing, watching a DVD makes it worse. Opening a window will bring some, slight relief, but not on a long journey. My advice, either travel at night... less stressful on the eyes and you can sleep or find some medication that works for you because traveling and feeling sick is the worst thing ever! I exagerate but at the time it certainly feel like it!

Give Peter a hug from me, a fellow sickky (*hug*)

3. justjoshoh

It is the difference between how the body perceives itself moving through vision and the body's inner balance. I have noticed that I get motion sickness especially if I am reading in a moving vehicle.

There are over-the-counter, natural, and pharmacological treatments to reduce the symptoms of motion sickness, with the OTC Dramamine one of the more recognizable treatments.

4. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Motion sickness is caused mainly by your eyes' perception of any horizon. When you're in a car or ship, if you don't keep your eyes fixed on the horizon (on a ship) or look out of the window (in a car) your brain receives mixed up signals about which direction you're travelling in. Then your balance senses start to play up and you become sick - or so I was told. Doesn't affect everybody, though. :icon_bigg

I used to get terribly sick on buses and coaches and looking out of the window always helped along with regular stops. You can buy pills for car sickness and some of these are very helpful - depends if you like taking pills!!

Peter should grow out of it - but in the meantime I know exactly what he feels like. :icon_sad:

5. crimsonarcher

I was car sick when I was going to Reno through the mountains...dad said it was the exhaust fumes that I was inhaling while i was asleep ( I had my window open).

6. Dantir

I often feel sick in minibuses and coaches, and sometimes old cars. :slight_smile:

If I drink something before the (long) journey I start feeling really sick.

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Bromptonrocks' description is correct, as I understand it. I used to suffer from this when I was younger. For me, reading etc made it worse (watching DVDs would too, though we didn't have them when I was young). The best thing is to look outside the car, though that's obviously easier if you are in the front.

8. SpikySpice

I used to feel car sick when I ws a little boy, now Im addicted to cars, I prefer them over planes or trains or ships, I really liek teh feelings of sitting in ths cars

Sometimes I get exhausted cuz I read stuffs while sitting in cars, or the way taht I sit, some poepel throw up, because teh AC, they catch a cold or they dont get used to the feeling of sitting in cars

9. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    peter said to day that he feels closed in in the car also and cant breave to good and can smell the petrol also that makes him feel sick in the car

10. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Most of the problem comes from the semicircular canals in the organ of the middle ear, called the Cochlea, organ of Corti. There are three canals, one posterior, one superior and one horizontal each filled with fluid and working together sort of tell what position the head is in. Anything that causes an increase in pressure or the amount of fluid can lead to conditions of lightheadedness to extreme dizziness. With cars, boats and airplanes, the horizon is not well fixed for some and the canals are sensitive to motion and pitch. When all three canals are active pretty much alike, the result is dizziness. That can lead to nausea, that to vomiting, etc.

Some are more sensitive than others in response to various conditions. Dramamine and other medications can decrease the affect of motion upon the semicircular canals thus helping to decrease the problem.