1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heart Rate

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mr.Pushover, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Mr.Pushover

So I've had a good heart rate for a while, most of the time being between 50-60 beats per minute, lately I've noticed my hear rate is going up pretty dramatically, my heart is beating much faster than it usually does, and it's been like this for the past few days.
    I'm a runner, so naturally I shouldn't have a high heart rate.
    I've been eating pretty badly for the past week (Christmas food lol)
    I've been having soda a little more (Not nearly as much as I used to)
    I'm congested through my nose (a little), my left ear (it's weird but I can barely hear out of my left ear because it's congested in my sinus), and my chest (causing me to cough)

It might be me being paranoid, but the last time I had a heart rate this high was the last time I was sick in July before I lost all the weight, and it's annoying me because I feel like it means I'm not healthy. But yeah, what I would like to know is with the factors given above, would any of that contribute to my higher heart rate?

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like you might getting sick that can cause your heart rate to jump.

Is it a constant high rate or does it just jump every once in a while?

Caffine can cause your heart to jump, especially if you haven't had in a while.
    Give it a few days and if it doesn't go away go see the doctor

3. KaraBulut

How high is "higher than usual"? And are you running a fever?

4. Mr.Pushover

my usual heart rate is like 59 beats per minute and it's up to about 80 beats per minute. And no I don't have a fever

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh....I think it can all depend really dude. It depends how fit you are. For example, someone really unfit can have a BPM of 82. Myself, I'm not the most fit and yet mine is 55...which would explain my doctor's whole "heart of an athlete". Go figure is all I can say...

6. Mr.Pushover

Yeah my doc told me that a while a go, but either way, could it just be that after running 7 miles at track, my heart rate could be up for a while? I don't think it should be up this quickly after track. Also, I noticed that later on, around nighttime, my heart rate came back down

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Have you tried deep breathing excersies?

8. Mr.Pushover

I have not.

9. KaraBulut

Heart rates are considered normal up to 100 beats per minute while at rest.

The reason that I asked about fever is that a fever will increase heart rate about 5-10 beats per minute for every 1 degree of fever. Since you mentioned that you had the symptoms of a respiratory infection, fever would be a possible explanation for the increased heart rate.

But even with an increase of 15 beats per minute, given your general symptoms and consumption of caffeinated drinks, that's not too unexpected.

10. RedState

well...with the exception of my booze intake...I am a very fit person. My resting heart rate varies from 60-75BPM. During the day your heart rate and BP will rise and fall depending on the activity.

While I am no expert, I don't think that 80 BPM is anything to get too worried about. as KB said, anything under 100 BPM is very normal. Sometimes the things we eat and drink can have an effect on our heart rate. When are you taking your pulse rate? is it right when you wake up (which is the best way to judge your resting heart rate) or in the middle of the day?

11. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello
    I think you need to stop measuring your heart rate dude, you'll drive yourself crazy with worry. Anything can affect your heart rate, including the anxiety of measuring your pulse. If you feel fine in yourself then don't worry too much mate. Just eat a balanced diet and keep up the good work on the exercise front.
    xxx