1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large bruise, hard + white center

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Phantasma, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Phantasma

The title is kind of self-explanatory. I have a large bruise on my lower right leg. I noticed it a few days ago and didn't think much of it. I'd say it's about an inch wide/long and it's got the typical yellowy/greeny/purpley/blue coloration. However, there's a white spot of tissue right in the middle that is firm to the touch. There's slight pressure when I touch it but it's barely noticeable and there is no pain. My leg feels completely normal/fine otherwise. I really don't remember hitting my leg hard enough to get something like this, soo..

To get to the point of this thread. Is this hard white center normal, should I be worried?

2. maverick

Sounds like a spider bite based on your description (white pressurized center), so I would just keep an eye on it and watch your temperature. If you start to run a fever or it begins to look infected, go see a doctor.

The only thing I'd worry about is a brown recluse bite, which can be painless but lead to necrosis of the skin if left untreated. Most spider bites heal on their own. I don't think brown recluses are native to Canada though?

(I'm not a doctor or anything, I've just been bit by a brown recluse before.)

#2 maverick, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Brown recluses are not generally found in Canada, however, like where I live there is a large number. They tend to stay in the midwestern US/mid-south/Mexico but there are pockets of them farther north, including Canada.

However, brown recluse bites rarely lead to necrosis, usually they're harmless.

Here is a picture of a day 3 brown recluse bite: Here

I'd get it checked out. I highly doubt it's a brown recluse bite, I am actually 100% sure it's not. But, if it changes in size, color, or it starts to hurt I'd go to a doctor.

4. maverick

Yeah, I would not bother assuming that it's a brown recluse, given the geography; they tend towards warmer climates. However, it does sound like a spider bite of some kind to me.

I'd just keep an eye on it if I were you.

5. Phantasma

It looks nothing like the picture that you linked, so I'm thinking I can rule out brown recluse. . especially since my city is currently deep into winter, so not the ideal climate.

6. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

It probably is a spider bite. But more than likely it's not poisonous, if it is it's not deadly and obviously not painful.

There aren't many poisonous spiders in Canada, and I am pretty sure the few ones that exist in Canada are only there during the warm season, and aren't deadly.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A spider bite would hurt to the touch, a lot.

Sounds like there is just swelling from the bruise. If it doesn't go away after a few days give the Doctor a ring.

8. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I've never had a spider bite that hurt when I touched it. I had ones that itched. But usually, they're just there doing nothing.

9. Ridiculous

I think whether it hurts or not would depend on what gave the bite and if numbing venom was injected or not. It would agree that it was from some sort of insect though, because of the hard white bit in the centre which wouldn't occur from a normal bruise.

Any mosquito bite that I've ever gotten gets the hard white centre, but I don't think any have gotten the bruise around it (although could easily be caused from scratching the bite).