1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skin Care

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by LostandFound, Jan 5, 2011.

1. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

My skin is quite dry and blemished.

I'm wondering what are some of the things that I can do to improve my skin. At the moment I don't use anything but I'd be willing to use things to improve my skin health.

Thanks.

2. RedState

As far as dry skin goes any good moisturizer will do...it doesn't have to be one of those expensive ones...any standard moisturizer that you can pick up at your local drug store will do just fine.

Lots of stuff out there for acne blemishes too, but be careful when applying those because part of the acne treatment is drying the pimple out.

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I too suffer from dry skin, just buy a moisturizing cream and use it before going out for the day, at night wash your face, and reapply

4. Miyaga

Malachite said it all, my skin is exstreamly dry as well, especially during the winter months. Try getting a cream that fitsyour specific needs for your skin type. Goldbond its great, works wonders for me.

5. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have combination skin, which means I end up fighting dryness and blemishes at the same time, much like you. I invested in a good facial scrub (I use St. Ives apricot scrub, it works wonders for me) which I use twice a day and a light moisturizer that I apply after that. Based on my own experience with acne creams, they never work. I've tried several and they just made my skin very dry - but did nothing for my acne. If you're washing consistently then your acne should clear up on its own, given some time that is, and a good moisturizing lotion (if applied to clean skin) should handle the dryness. Just experiment with some different products, that's what I did anyway and you'll settle on something that works.

That's just what I do, hopefully it helps though. :slight_smile:

6. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Well if you want nice skin, its best to get moisturisers and face wash with more PH natural or whatever you call it. And get this!! :grin:
    [​IMG]
    Makes your skin realy soft

7. TheRoof

I think of skin care as a daily routine that should be incorporated into your lifestyle (of course that statement coming from a skincare freak :grin: ).
    That being said, I'm surprised how many guys just completely ignore skin care.
    Maybe this is too much for you (or many other guys for that matter), but I'll tell you how I take care of my skin.
    First, use good cleanser. Don't use soap!!! There are tons of good cleansing products in the stores, so next time you go to Target or something, go to the skin care section and see what they have. Personally I use the foam cleanser from Aveeno- it's very gentle and my skin feels really good after washing.
    You could also use facial scrub (st. ives peach flavor is the best!) perhaps once in two weeks or so. DONT use facial scrubs too often, because it can potentially strip away your skin, and it can exacerbate acne if you have one. But definitely, it's a good idea to use scrub once in a while.
    Second, MOISTURIZE! like not 30 minutes after washing your face, but immediately. I usually use toner first (with cotton), then apply moisturizer. Again, there are tons of moisturizers out there, so do some googling and see what seems right for you. If you have acne, there are products that contain saliyic (that spelling is wrong i think...) acid that prevents acne- I use Aveeno daily moisturizer (without SPF) when I'm indoors (like at night), but I use moisturizer with SPF 30 in daytime, because UV can damage your skin, and also cause discoloration. You might think you don't need sunscreen when you are not at beach or something, but the truth is, UV is present even in cloudy days, and constant exposure to UV without protection can damage your skin on the long run. And the ones like I use (Aveeno daily moisturizer with SPF 15 or 30 ) are DAILY moisturizers, NOT sunscreen, so they are not sticky or uncomfortable.
    Third, make sure you repeat step one and two everyday as your daily routine. If you do that, it will definitely make your skin much much better.
    As for acne blemishes, I don't think there is a product that can make your blemish go away, though there are cleansers and moisturizers that prevent acne in the first place. And the thing with acne blemish is that it goes away with time, so as long as you take good care of your skin, chances are, it will go away eventually, unless they are deep scars.
    Finally, you could also apply moisturizer in your hand and body after shower. Especially hands get very dry in the winter times, so carrying a small portable moisturizer will definitely help.
    I hope this helped! :grin:

8. RedState

^^^ And this post brought to you by Aveeno.
    Just kidding :slight_smile: It is really good stuff. I'm a Lab Series guy myself.

But, he's right it is important to develop a routine for skin care. When you are younger you don't really think about it...but when you get into your late 20's you start to really understand the importance of keeping your skin healthy...remember it is the largest organ we human's have.

Unless you use something like Dove, regular soap is very harsh on your face so do stay away from that. Just remember to wash and moisturize in the morning and when you go to bed. Exfoliate once a week.

9. radiantdawn

radiantdawn Guest

Urmm, i don't know if you use anything, cause you said you didn't, but do you use moisturizers? They're like... super helpful. This is coming from a kid with spots of dry skin and spots of oily skin >_< . But yeah, using normal over-the-counter cleansers for dry skin/sensitive skin and then moisturizers is a very easy good start : ) It worked for me, (well, I have to keep on using it cause my skin is still dry and whatever, but at the very least it has gotten better)
    EDIT: MUCH MUCH better, I meant to say XD

#9 radiantdawn, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
  10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    one thing I did mention is that you need to wash your fash when you get up and before you go to bed then reapply, if don't wash your face you'll break out