1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifespan of gays and lesbians

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zontar, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Zontar

What is the average lifespan of a gay man or lesbian?

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

..... Erm........... "Our" lifespan is just the same as any human being.. lol

3. Bryan90

Why?.... do you have a possible theory that we'd live longer or shorter lives? ....

4. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As for natural lifespan, there wouldn't be any difference really. But if you factor in death by substance abuse, self harm, transmitted diseases, then there is quite a difference. I can't remember exactly where, but I recently read something about it. Apparently the average gay persons life span is 10-20 years shorter than that of non gays, in whatever situation.
    I personally like to think that a healthy gay man may live to be 10,000 and beyond, ascending to the stage of demi god, and upon death, at long last taking his place in dimensions most foul, next to Cthulhu himself. As for lesbians, reaching the age of 5000 is nothing to them. They will become sea birds, and fly away, singing their sweet mating song, off to live a carefree life as a beautiful lesbian seagull.

5. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Don't forget things like our absurdly high teen suicide rates and you know... being murdered for being gay. I wouldn't attribute any perceived shortened lifespan solely to vices held by younger males (and I would say that the majority of substance abuse in the gay community happens amongst young gay men, not women... But I haven't any facts to back that up, although I suppose I could take a few minutes and google it to find out.(At least all the studies that popped up seemed to be examining men. Not sure what to make of that.))

Furthermore, you ever notice how these "statistics" are only ever toted out when people are arguing against the EBIL HOMOZECXUALS? I think that makes any claims of shortened lifespans highly suspect.

Never the less, assuming you aren't addicted to any substances that destroy your body and you aren't planning on killing yourself in the near future, ignore the statistics. They don't apply to individuals. Live a happy, healthy life and fuck the haters.

EDIT: Also, an interesting note from the authors of the paper many hate groups have used to estimate the 9-21 year difference in life expectancy. http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/30/6/1499.full

#5 Numfarh, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011