1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Acne

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Frer3, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Frer3

It's getting out of control. My mom buys acne creams, a bar of special soap, and nothing works. Do any of you have products that work especially well???

2. Spectre

Have you visited a dermatologist?

3. KaraBulut

The last over-the-counter option is ProActiv which has 3 of the most commonly used anti-acne medications. If you've already used that and it didn't help then you need to see a dermatologist.

4. Frer3

I've never tried ProActiv. I wonder...

5. roborama

depends on what exactly hasnt worked, i had this problem but it turns out that really scrubbing my face before bed and when i woke up made a significant difference. but i do hear proactiv is good

6. Frer3

I wash my face every day when I shower. I've done several Neutrogena Creams, a bar of acne soap, acne pads, and a mask. None worked.

7. Flying Squirrel

I struggled with a bad case of acne for four years... I had the same issue where I tried every soap, lotion, cleanser, and face wash available to man kind... I eventually went to a dermatologist and after he proscribed me a few things that didnt work he told me about the medication "Acutane." It cleared up my acne within the first month of use. Its not known to be the safest though... it was actually recalled in the states a year after I finished taking it because of depression issues associated with it and some liver hurting side effects... but I personally didn't have any issues with it and i think that the generic brands are still available with a perscription.

8. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I took the same general path. Hopefully something will work for you before getting to Accutane since it is harsh, but it did work for me after trying all else. Good luck :slight_smile:

9. aidan

Though I've never tried it myself, I've read that covering your pillow with a clean and fresh towel before you go to sleep is incredibly effective at reducing acne.

10. RedState

Acutane...i saw a non-attorney spokesman talking about that on a commercial one time. sounds like some harsh stuff.

But, the pro-activ seems to have pretty good reviews so I would try that. If that fails I would def seek out a dermatologist.

11. V128

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to have this problem as well, big time. I tried a lot of things, but nothing worked. I eventually grew out of it, but nowadays I know that, if I get a breakout, there's something physiologically wrong with me. If I need to I use Stridex pads... the strongest one. It works well for me.

12. Gumtree

What's your diet like?

13. Owen91

Owen91 Guest

I would definitely recommend visiting a dermatologist. They know exactly what's happening, as far as your skin goes, so they can be the most helpful person.

Personally, I found that a good scrubbing face wash is the best thing for me. In the morning, during my shower, I use Neutrogena. I can't remember the exact label, but it's an anti-acne scrub and it's pink and smells like grapefruits. :slight_smile:

Accutane can be pretty scary stuff--it can severely negatively impact your life if you're already predisposed to being depressed. Just so you're aware of the risks. I would recommend trying other treatments before you commit to something that drastic.

14. officialtom

officialtom Guest

A year ago I gave up and went to my doctor. My face was a disaster, plus my back and parts of my chest. I told him that I'd tried EVERYTHING and needed a prescription for something strong.

He put me on Accutane, which was painful as hell but ended up working really well. It dried up my lips to the point where they would bleed almost every day, and I had to ALWAYS have chap stick with me. But after 6 months (with bloodwork once a month to make sure the pills weren't destroying my kidneys), my face was clear and it has been ever since. I still wash/exfoliate a lot just to make sure it never comes back, but I think I'm set for now.

A few of my friend love ProActiv (and you can get it in Canada now, for those of us who couldn't get it before). I say give it a try if you haven't already.

If you've tried everything, make an appointment with your doctor or a dermotologist.

15. Airplanes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went to the dermatologist because my parents passed on their bad skin to me, and my doctor prescribed me Epiduo, which works wonders! You should ask about it. :slight_smile:

Just be careful if you do get it, since it can burn your face easily if you get out in the sun! D: