1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lymphocyte count in white blood cells

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by zeratul, Jan 27, 2011.

1. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Ok I got a blood test report today that shows that I have a low lymphocyte count in my white blood cells. Normal range was 1 to 3.2x10^9 / L and mine was 0.7

I did a little research on this and many websites say that low lymphocyte means my immune system has disorder and that the most common cause of low lymphocyte count is due to HIV/AIDS.

I've never had sex or been doing anything with any person before, and my parents sure do not have HIV/AIDS, so this can't be, can it???? My goodness, can someone explain what are the other possible causes? FYI my white blood count was normal.

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2011 at 04:44 PM ----------

FYI also, I was sick with flu on the day my blood was drawn. Maybe that would explain?

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you've never had sex and your parents don't have it. And you haven't gone to any shady doctors or taken drugs involving needles it's unlikely you have it. Very unlikely. I bet the flu has something to do with it. You're sick, so obviously your immune system is down. I'm not sure though.

3. KaraBulut

What were the rest of your white cell counts?

4. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Ok here's the counts

White Blood Cells: total 8.1 (normal range 4.0 to 11.0x10^9/L)

And this 8.1 consists of:

Neutrophils 6.56
    Lymphocytes 0.73
    Monocytes 0.67
    Eosinophils 0.24
    Basophils 0.00

5. KaraBulut

The complete counts help.

Basically, your overall white cell count was normal but you had some shifting of values that are often seen when a patient has an infection. These shifts are usually temporary and the absolute counts usually return to normal once the infection resolves.

Typically, with HIV, we see lymphocyte counts that are severely low- as in 0.05. Your count is 0.73 which is lower than normal but one of the paradoxes of influenza A is that many of the patients may have a lowered lymphocyte count.

Ask your physician about it but I would probably repeat the counts once you've recovered from the flu.

6. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Thanks Kara you made me worry less.