1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plan For Quitting

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by thedreamwatch, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hey all,

I'm quitting smoking and I've smoked for several years now, from 1/4 pack a day to a pack a day and all over the place in between depending on my stress level.

Unfortunately, as a student I don't have a ton of disposable income and cigarettes are VERY expensive here. Also, I'm tired of feeling like crap all the time and having to go outside in winter to smoke.

So, I'm quitting. I've tried before, but this time I have a different plan and I'm wondering what people think about it.

1. I heard a thing about using a water bottle to satisfy the oral fixation that longtime smokers have. Every time you want a cigarette, take a couple little drinks of water. It's roughly the same motion and also good for you! I imagine it will help flush my system out and perhaps get rid of all that nicotine.

2. I am curious if anyone knows about herbal cigarettes. They are apparently tobacco and nicotine free and made out of natural things like rose petals and marshmallow leaves and all kinds of stuff. I like smoking, I'm not gonna lie and if I can still do it, but it also helps me break my addiction to nicotine and get the tar out of my lungs, then heck I'm all in! Plus, they are much cheaper to buy than regular cigarettes.

Opinions on this? Suggestions on what else I should be doing? I am really determined that this is going to be the time that I can kick the habit.

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2011 at 09:46 PM ----------

OH, and the incentive for actually quitting is that if I do it, I'm treating myself to a new tattoo!

2. midwestblues

Good for you for your decision to quit. I've never been addicted to cigarettes, but I have been more-or-less 'addicted' to other things that I've realized were not good for me financially. The only advice I can give is to not be frivolous with your spending while you're trying to quit. The more seriously you take your budget as a whole during this process, the more likely you'll be able to quit, methinks.

#2 midwestblues, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The people I know who have tried the herbal cigarettes have said the taste is absolutely disgusting. However, if you can still find them (might have to order online, and not sure if they are even still available), there's a brand of cigarettes called Quest 3 which are made with genetically altered tobacco that has no nicotine in it so is not at all addictive.

Two other things that can be really helpful: a) carrying around black licorice ropes and using one when you feel the urge to smoke. In addition to being a similar oral biorhythm, the natural licorice contains an ingredient that helps satiate the need for nicotine. b) taking a little niacin (one of the B vitamins) can help dilate blood vessels and for some people simulates some of the rush from smoking.

Finally, practicing some deep breathing exercises whenever you feel stressed (simply stopping what you're doing, closing your eyes, and breathing slowly and rhythmically, about 3 seconds per inhale and 4 or 5 per exhale) will help to calm you down and reduce some of the stress where you might otherwise reach for a cigarette.

Hope that helps!

4. Thanks very much! I'll definitely try some of those things. But it's Day two and I'm okay and thankfully not eating all the time hahaha

5. RedState

I've had to kick 2 addictions in my life...and cigs were the worst.
    I never was addicted to the physical action of smoking, I was hooked on the drug nicotine (and I guess I still am seeing how I still chew the nicorette gum)

But, i quit 5 years ago (after smoking since I was 16) and the gum helped me with the initial cravings so you may want to try that.

The first couple of weeks are tough. But, you will feel so much better after quitting. Good luck with everything.