1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Met Someone New, Things Go So Wrong

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by mandarof, Feb 2, 2011.

1. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few days ago I went to a local bar and ultimately ended up bringing one of the newly met people back to my apartment. It didn't take long for me to realize he was very drunk, especially after he hurled. Thankfully, it was an easy cleanup due to the logistics.

With him at my place for about 3 hours, we only had a sexual encounter moments before I took him home. I was really not insistent, but once the idea arose, he was actually fairly interested. The next morning, he asked for me to tell him what happened. I guess he didn't remember anything. I explained everything from how I met them to getting to my place, him hurling, and told him some of the sexual encounter. I can't remember if I told him every detail. He actually pushed me to things I didn't want to do. Keep in mind he was drunk, although at this point he was not dizzy and was fairly coherent.

A few days later he not only de-friended me on Facebook, but actually blocked me completely. I was able to see that his account was still active through another Facebook account. I have to say that this, being the second guy I grew attached to, hurt like no other. I got a good hour or two of crying in as I was so angry and upset that the whole time, I thought if he really isn't interested in me at all (because he was drunk) well at least he'll obviously be a friend. So my worst fear came true. It seems like my worst fears always come true when I actually have a worst fear.

I sent him a lengthy message, which I was starting out as an angry confrontation, but I changed to a soft and strong apology before sending. He responded positive, saying sorry, etc. He thanked me because overall I outright told him he is lucky to have been with me given that I was sober and could tend to his dangerous condition. I only had his best interest in mind.

This leaves me with all the questions in the world. He did explain that he was drinking because he had a huge fight with his boyfriend, which I learned of him having on FB the next day. I have a response ready to send but am thinking it over. Two messages I'd like to send today, perhaps with a gap between them.

"Is your boyfriend insisting on you not only de-friending, but also actively blocking me on Facebook? I guess I can understand why."

"Regardless, I want to actually meet you sometime. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but before I die, I want to be friends with [firstName middleName lastName] from [city]."

The only relief I have experienced is that his boyfriend might be violent or angry with me should I run into him. I don't want to get hurt, obviously. I texted this individual the day after his drunkenness telling him to be careful, I don't want him to get hurt. In no time, I was developing strong feelings for him, explicitly concerned for his well being.

Since coming out in December, about everything I have done has been a first. This technically represents the first rejection by someone I care about. I had my first date previously, but I ultimately rejected him. The thing that destroys me is that I really need to build a network of friends like this person. Also: he didn't remember anything. I wonder how this all would have gone had I actually not done anything sexual OR if I would have lied and said we didn't... I don't want to lead a pool of lies but there is some relief in thinking his boyfriend is probably leading the blocking and would probably still "dislike" me for taking his boyfriend for the evening.

If anyone has any suggestions for adding more emotional razor blades to my messages above, let me know. I have to be careful because he might close the texting line of communication at any point (somehow I guess). Wow this still really hurts. He offered to have breakfast the morning after but I didn't have time. I wish I would have made the time. Maybe we could have connected enough for him to maintain the relationship. He is aware I'm a good guy (I really am) but either that isn't enough OR I think more likely his boyfriend insisted on these actions to continue their own relationship. My thinking on the second message is basically really the truth. I connected with him enough that someday, honestly before I die, I want to get to know him. Ouch... :frowning2:

At this point, I would kill for friendship. I hate that I really never met this guy truly, given his condition. He is 21 years old. I guess another thought is that there is no way he will be with his boyfriend for the rest of his life--RIGHT?! I mean honestly, isn't that an obvious duh? Anyone want to predict a typical 21 year old relationship length average (gay)? So when he breaks up, then maybe he would be available to be friends. From what I have seen, he is a really great person. I hate to have lost the opportunity to befriend him. Hate hate hate.

#1 mandarof, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

From the description of your experiences, it sounds like perhaps it would be better to move on. If he comes to you at some point, I would say feel free to try it out. If he is already in a relationship with another guy, despite whether or not that's the reason he's cutting you out, you should let them be. People do stupid shit when they're drunk; it may not have meant anything to him. I've gotten drunk and almost had sex with a girl when I'm homosexual.
    Point being, if this is one of your first few experiences since coming out, there will be many more to come. There is no shortage of good guys in the world. Hell, there are many on this website alone. It will maybe hurt for a while, but we've all been down that road. Pain gives you strength, you learn from pain, and you make better decisions next time because of that pain.
    You should cherish the fact that it is so easy for you to feel for someone, some people go their whole lives without feeling that for another. Feel reassured that you will be able to love others. Sometimes forgetting someone does not mean you are weak, but that you are strong enough to let go.

3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I concur with the above. I think your best option is to walk away and not look back.

Basically, from what you say, I’m having a hard time coming to the same conclusions as you do. I’m having the impression that he had a fight with his boyfriend (fights happen even in the best of couples, and they don’t necessarily mean breaking up), didn’t handle it well, and went to a bar, where he got drunk. Then, he went along with you, and not thinking coherently (being drunk on both liquor and his anger towards his boyfriend), had sex with you.

To me, that does rather sound like a one-night stand. Apart from a bit of drunken banter, you barely even knew each other.
    You might want to imagine it as a serendipitous meeting of two people destined for each other, but that’s going a bridge too far, I think. Odds are he invested some time already in his relationship with his boyfriend, and is not willing to let that go. Either he told his boyfriend and that boyfriend insisted that he block you (not an entirely reasonable request. If you try to make a relationship work, the last thing you need is your boyfriend’s one-night stands looking on), or he decided to block you himself, and erase everything that happened.

And I’m not sure if we can assume his boyfriend is necessarily the sole bad guy in this. Just because you heard his version doesn’t mean he wasn’t to blame in the fight. Not to mention that he apparently was lucid enough to have sex, yet didn’t inform you of the fact he had a boyfriend. Which doesn’t show remarkable honesty on his part either.

Any insisting on keeping friends from your end would just end up in you coming off as the clingy one-night-stand that refuses to back off. I get that you care for his well-being, but I’m not sure that what you’re falling in love with is anything more than an idealized version of him you’re building in your head.

My advice would be to walk away and learn from this. Take your time to get to know people before sleeping with them. Taking a couple of days to get to know each other isn’t too extravagant, I think. Definitely don’t sleep with people when they’re drunk. And don’t assume that you need to keep friends with every guy you click with. That way lies more success than by pursuing this guy.

4. Spectre

They're both right. Consider this a write-off. There are many more guys out there to be friends (and more) with.

5. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom gave me the best advice of anyone so far. It was quite a bit, but some of what I gathered from it is that I should just move completely on (many agree) but also that he has seen what a great guy I am. I've told him and he has outright responded to that. I helped him through some difficult situations without even thinking about a lot of horrible things I could have done. Kicked him out on the street...simple enough. At some point in the future he could very well contact me. I told him I would really like to be friends. Sooner or later he will break up with his boyfriend (right, people?) since he is only 21 years old. I will look more appealing as this great guy who is not desperate.

Yes he has done a lot of bad things. But I still have a desire to be a friend with him. Maybe one day. Worst case, I can contact him in 2 years and see how he has been. Maybe then his same BF will have gotten over it and not care if we talk.

I'm feeling a lot better overall. I was a wreck last night.

6. EM68

Glad you are feeling better today. Just chalk it up as an experience. You may need to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Letting it go is a good choice.

But... as for taking him back if/when he breaks up with his current bf... i'd really think about that. Alcohol simply lowers inhibitions, it doesn't take them away. He KNEW at some level he was cheating on his BF, and granted, he did it in a fit of anger after a fight, but he still did it, and that doesn't show much in the way of integrity. So if you were to go out with him... the same thing will likely happen to you.

Secondly... you have all these other threads where you're paranoid about HIV and want to have really low risk for your encounters, you get all this advice, and then you essentially went out and did the exact same thing that was concerning you before... going to a bar, picking up some guy, bringing him back to your place, and having a sexual encounter with him. I'm guessing that no meaningful conversation about his sexual history happened, and even if it did... the guy was drunk and certainly not reliable in what he said. So not to be harsh but... do you really care about being safe, or not? If you do, you need to really think about changing your behavior and where you're looking.

8. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This individual contacted me 2 days later and asked if I was clean. He claims to be clean, having just been tested 3 weeks earlier. He was also supposedly in a relationship, that he broke with me. Yes, this is terrible and horrible. I went out that night strictly to find friends. One thing led to another and he was walking with me to my car. The sexual encounter didn't take place for 3 hours. We just rested until then. I could have easily done nothing. He wasn't pushing me to, until I mentioned the idea.

9. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Mandarof, I think you just need a little more will-power? Like, when you go out to find friends, then control your hormones and don't take that cute guy home. Good luck next time!

10. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, it's the first time I did. I had around 5 pick-up opportunities the week prior, all initiated by others. This time, I selected the guy, granted he did make the offer to leave together. Talk about will power when I'm laying next to this cute guy for 3 hours, totally content not doing anything sexual. I only made the request so I could have done a hook-up. Almost like checking it off my list. Supposedly we were both clean and our activity was not high risk.

11. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Yup, if you are both clean then put aside the worry! I mean you could always just go get a blood test, its pretty hassle-free.

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No offense, but that isn't willpower. Now, if you *want* to pick up guys and bring them home and have one-nighters, then that's a completely different thing. There's lots of people who do that and are fine with it, and you can also, *provided* you're willing to deal with the anxiety (and risk) of doing so.

Otherwise, you really need to calm down, and if you don't want to keep doing these things and coming here and talking about how things have gone wrong... then don't keep going to bars and clubs and then wondering why you keep picking people up. OK, fine so you turned down some people. So does everyone.

What matters is your own self esteem, and to keep that intact, you have to be clear on what you really want (whether that's to hook up, or to take the slower, more thoughtful approach), and then act accordingly. The confusion is understandable, but I think you'll be a lot happier with yourself if you can put a little more focus into understanding what you want.

13. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do realize the chief problem with my progression is determining what I want. I am about as responsible and rule-following as people get and am an very good at following instructions. The issue is when I don't devise a plan for myself, I am missing the instructional element. I have no rules I follow. I am creating them as I proceed. Keep in mind that the other hook-up opportunities I had I turned down simply because I never planned on a hook-up situation. I still feel this way, especially after the loss I feel from this one. Part of this was a curiosity, a feeling that "every other gay/straight person" has done a hook up in their life. That is what college often results in for a lot of people. Now that I had one, with some interesting stories to tell, I don't have to feel left out.

Going forward I hope to continue meeting people, at bars/clubs in addition to church and other groups, all taking my best friend's advice to heart. In most cases, he waited roughly a month from first meeting his girlfriends to having sex. He usually got tested and had unprotected sex, though. It was interesting when he told me outright that he simply does not care if he catches a STD. He only cares to not spread them to others. As far as I know he is clean, and gets tested, but he just does not care (even if he gets HIV). I responded saying that he has good primary behaviors, though. Activity is so much safer when good values and actions are the foundation.

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just for the record...

People always say they don't care if they catch HIV when they don't have HIV.

I haven't found a single person who actually has it and has to deal with all of the ramifications of it who "doesn't care." (basically, it means being on expensive meds that MUST be taken every day, near-constant nausea and a ton of other side effects from the drugs, and not being able to drink or use drugs without essentially negating the value of the drugs that keep you healthy.)

On the contrary, every one I've ever spoken to has been "If I really knew what it was like, I would have behaved more responsibly." I know that you aren't being irresponsible, I'm posting this for all the people who are reading but not posting :slight_smile:

Also... if you're looking for potential boyfriends, you probably won't find them at bars and clubs. If you're looking for friends and fun times that's one thing, just... of all the people I know that have had long-term, healthy relationships, I know maybe one that met his or her partner at a bar or club. Not saying it never happens, just that it isn't common. All depends on what you're after :slight_smile:

15. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely, great advice. I buy organic food. What good is organic if I let myself catch a terrible STD or HIV. Seriously woah. I do a lot of healthy things to, and am always looking to improve my health.

I had a couple experiences, neither of which seem to have put me at any real risk, and supposedly everyone was clean anyway.

Some of the advice givers I have met have told me I am nowhere near ready for a boyfriend. One came out a year older than me (I'm 23) and had his first boyfriend at 28. My question is: when people say this, are they saying just look around for those years? Or try guys out? My best friend (who mentioned HIV) practices quite reasonable habits, too. He has only had around 3 sexual partners in probably the 5 years he has been sexually active.

If I'm not ready for a boyfriend, how do I get what I want? What I really want is the closeness and affection of a great guy. The sexual element has always been apart of my lonesome life. The affection is what I truly long for, right now. I hate every hour that goes by where I don't have a guy to simply be with. I'm obviously not that crazy but right now, that's what I really badly want.

I agree about not focusing on bars/clubs. I started going to an affirming church and already met a decent guy, who is around my age. I want to be more careful and my best friend's advice really helped me realize a path of safety. Granted, I still contend (and know it's true) that any sexual activity carries a level of risk, no matter what.

16. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I don't think that sitting in the corner and watching for a couple of years is going to miraculously make you ready. You learn the most about relationships by being in one. But at the same time, I think you don't sound entirely ready, no. Taking your time often is a good thing. There's no set amount of time for anything, but by taking your time, you do actually learn a lot about yourself and others too.

What you want is pretty clear: a loving, long-term relationship, trust, good sex, that warm and comfortable feeling... all reasonable wants. Most of us want that.
    But the timeframe you seem to insist on following is flat-out unrealistic, and liable to drive guys away. All those things you want? they're not going to happen at the snap of a finger. You're not going to pick up a guy in a bar and then wake up the next day and be suddenly inseparable. If you don't even know what the other likes for breakfast, how can intimacy ever be on the table? That's something youy need to build towards.
    And that takes patience. Three hours is very much not patience. There's exlosives with fuses that take longer to explode :wink:

As it stands, it seems you have a boyfriend-shaped hole. A position for a person that spends time with you, who's there to talk, cuddle, and do boyfriend-y stuff. And (even though you do turn some people down), you're still too quick to cram any guy who you click with into that hole, even before waiting for him to sober up after the initial meeting in a bar. But it doesn't work that way.
    Real people don't fit in that hole and they'll start to chafe. So it pays to be real slow. Double-guess your own motives for falling in love after a coule of hours already. do you like this person for who they are (and despite, or even because of their quirks)? Or do you just hope they are who you want them to be. If you're great together, they'll still be there in a week or a month.

17. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You really figured me out. I do have a boyfriend shaped hole. The non-sexual element of being with a guy is so incredibly new to me--I've done it twice--and I truly long for that. One of the reasons I felt this should happen now is because I missed out on a few years of relationships, so I was hoping to make up for some lost time. Honestly, I think I may have already satisfied that desire.

Your advice is sound and totally reasonable. However, I realized yesterday, in response to *several* people telling me I can't have a boyfriend so soon, that I really don't like people telling me what I can or cannot have. It sounds strange, but I have always led my life of the mindset that I can be whoever I want to be if I put my mind to it. Focus my efforts and good things will happen. I live life with to do lists and starting 2011, my priority is finding a guy. I have actually written that on my list, and even broken it down to methods and such. It is something I want and long for. It will happen and I've learned some lessons. I have a lot of great advice-givers around me, from my parents to my best friend.

I have actually shared all my stories of meeting people with a large handful of people. Responses include my cousin wishing she got so much attention, being shocked at some interactions I have had. I am worried that a bar/club is not a great place to meet someone. Granted: I have basically never been to those places prior to this event of looking for a guy. I don't drink, dance very little, just generally am not comfortable there, etc. I hate the idea of approaching a guy who can't hear a word I say. I've often thought my best qualities are my personality and personal life. These aspects do not transfer all that well above loud music.

18. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

While some may have said you cannot have a boyfriend so soon, if you interpreted what I said to be the same, I apologize. What I meant is that you should not expect to have one so soon. Many people search years and years for a person they are actually comfortable and compatible with, and so expecting that you could just jump right in and find someone is, and I mean no offense by this, but a bit naive. Remember, looking for something does not mean you will find it. I believe that love is easiest found when you're not looking for it, and it is easiest to get to somewhere you've never been by wandering with no destination in mind. You may not want to get your hopes up. That in mind, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

#18 silvousplait, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
  19. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll strategically place myself in situations and locations where the chances of meeting someone are higher, all the while avoiding actually looking. haha

20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll relate your situation to a friend of mine who was then 22 or so. He had been in one sort of half-assed relationship before he was out to his parents and people generally, and then he came out and was single for about a year (just not focused on finding a bf). He then decided that he wanted a boyfriend but couldn't figure out how to meet anyone. I suggested Myspace (remember that?!) as a place to talk to and meet people and get a good feel for who they were before actually meeting up with them. He met another really sweet guy who was also just coming out, and had been in two relationships with women prior to this.

They hit it off really well, and have been together in a healthy and pretty stress-free relationship for the past 3-1/2 years.

I don't think you need to wait any particular amount of time before getting in a relationship, but I *do* think you need to be in a place, within yourself, where you don't need a relationship to be happy. And I don't think you're there yet. The reason for this being... as soon as you externalize your need for happiness, you pretty much ensure you'll never have it. Once you love yourself and are happy with who you are, then having a partner simply enhances the happiness you already have. But when you are seeking out that person to "complete" you, you're trying to use him to validate yourself. Most common reason for this is somewhere deep down you don't feel loveable, and the boyfriend serves to convince you you really are loveable... but this rarely works, because all that happens is you transfer neediness to your boyfriend, and for anyone healthy, that's going to make them feel smothered.

It's all complicated, but honestly, you can get through it simply by doing what you're doing now... exploring yourself, exploring your feelings, examining how you interact with people, and seeking to understand what drives your actions. As you understand yourself better, you'll find it easier to feel more confident about yourself and once you do, the whole energy you put off toward others starts to change and you will find it easier to attract healthy people that will be a better fit for you.