1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Average relationships

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by mandarof, Feb 3, 2011.

1. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm looking for some statistics, or even generalizations here. I am especially interested in comparing straight / gay couples. Take a given committed relationship at a given age, say a guy with a boyfriend at age 21. What is the chance he will be with this person for the rest of his life? 3%?

What is a typical relationship length for couples at various ages? At age 18 I would think relationships might average only 3 - 6 months. At age 28, maybe 2 years? With the average simply increasing? I know people who spent their 20s in a relationship.

Are there graphs or research anyone can recommend? I'm interested in getting a feel for this now that I am diving into relationships for the first time ever, at the age of 23.

2. I actually read on Psychology Today's website that some studies are showing that some of the most lasting and best marriages are often between people 21 to 25 or something like that. I thought it was crazy! But obviously this study is of straight people.

EDIT: so maybe look on Psychology Today's website?

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because clearly a straight study cannot reflect homosexual couples...and people wonder why straights say we're not equal.

4. Whoa, hold on there. That's not what I'm saying AT ALL. I'm just saying that to get results for both straights and gays together you actually have to study both straights and gays and everyone else. In order for a study to be generalizable it has to be of the whole population, not just women, not just men, not just straights/gays/transgenders/bisexuals/asexuals/pansexuals etc.

And also stats about marriage generally don't include gays because in most states we can't do that. Including mine. So it's not like I'm happy about it.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know. I'm just saying though that there's nothing that says that straight relationships can't mirror homosexual relationships...

6. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still don't have an answer :frowning2:

Can someone tell me, given a random 21 year old in a committed relationship...with one cheating strike against it. What is the percentage chance they will break up in 1, 3, 6, 12, 24, 36 months?! lol...some statistics person please!

7. You're right.

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2011 at 01:07 PM ----------

This is, I think, difficult to get statistics on considering it's highly dependent on the people involved, the life circumstances going on, etc. I've actually done a little googling and surfing the net about the subject since I last wrote.

I really don't think you're going to get credible, accurate statistics on the subject, but if anyone knows better, say so because I am not an expert by FAR.

8. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

That makes sense. Someone at 21 is still developing into who they are going to be and still figuring out who they are. You might think this something that would lead to divorce but it isn't because if two people are married at that age they sort of find themselves together and are able to sort of mould themselves around each other. A 30 year old is much less inflexible and much more used to being independent and therefore it's harder to form a life with another person. These are all just generalities though of course.

9. Yeah totally. That's what the article actually says, I think, but it's been a while since I read it.

10. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reason I'm asking is because a guy I hooked up with did not mention he had a boyfriend. It was the first time I hooked up, the 2nd guy I ever cared about. It was a small thing but hit me very hard. I was devastated. Now we can't even be friends (probably as an apology to his BF). I'm biding my time trying to figure out when he'll be available...not saying a word to him, just thinking myself. My mom predicted he'll contact me within 2 months. Oh how fun is that. I regret THE MOST that we can't be friends but want to some day. Maybe several years down the road.

11. Just to clarify here, you're waiting until his relationship with his boyfriend ends so that you can be friends with him?

Honey, it could be anywhere from now to never. Are you sure he's worth the wait? If he lied when he hooked up with you and then completely cut you out of his life to go back to his boyfriend, he's definitely acting like he doesn't care about you as much as you deserve.

Not that I can be the judge of what either of you do as right or wrong, but I honestly think that you can do better in the friend department.

12. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It doesnt mean that they do, though.

13. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I shared feelings for him, the strongest I've had for anyone to date. Just being with him was so great. I honestly hope that someday, before I die, I can befriend him. Just get to know a little about him. That's all.

14. Then I hope it happens for you, that's a tough thing to lose.(*hug*)

15. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was quite an experience, how tough this situation was for me given how little even was there. I think I felt like I was taking him under my wing and caring for him because he had made bad decisions that night and drank way too much. At least I was sober and able to clean up his moderate amount of vomit on my floor. Thankfully he didn't throw up on the bed and even more so thankfully my entire apartment is tile. Oh that could have been so much worse. He needed me to look after him that night and I am not capable of being cruel. That evening could have been so much worse for him.

I'm sure his BF insists on him never seeing or talking to me again. I long for the day when he is out of the picture and we can just talk. I never really met him. I did talk to him on the phone and he sounds about as sweet as me. Thankfully the tears only lasted from an evening to the next afternoon. Some great people in my life helped me through the anguish. It was tough but I'm doing better.

16. maverick

To me almost all homosexual relationships are fundamentally different than heterosexual relationships just based on the fact that there is so much social baggage associated with being in one. This fact alone makes a sizeable segment of the homosexual community resort to "liasons" or "down-low" behavior, rather than honest, meaningful, long-term relationships.

Just based on my own experience (no scientific study whatsoever) I'd say male homosexual relationships tend to be shorter and more intense/dramatic - at least when it comes to young adult males - while the stereotype of the "U-haul" lesbian holds pretty strong. With age, both demographics tend to settle down as far as I've seen. It also seems to me that homosexuals tend to "settle down" into long-term relationships roughly a decade in life later than their straight peers, which I think can be attributed to the extra time homosexuals need to become comfortable with their sexuality. That discrepancy will probably change as kids come out queer earlier and earlier.

Straights take for granted the fact that they can be in an open, honest relationship, while a lot of homosexuals can't even tell their closest relatives they're seeing someone...

17. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    YES, 100% agree and have thought this for a while now. I was thinking a decade later too. I know I'm about 5 years behind already and now I need the 5 years I lost to get caught up...10 years later. Plus, I think gay relationships are shorter in general. That is a stereotype. All my straight friends are married at 18, 21, 25...being in a big city makes it even later that people settle down (LA) I have found as well.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No offense but I think you're experiencing a first-love infatuation. It's simply the first person you've ever had deep feelings for, and the first love always seems like the most amazing, incredible thing and no one ever wants to let go.

But... this guy CHEATED ON HIS BF to be with you, didn't even tell you he had a BF, and doesn't want to talk to you again. This is really bad news, as leopards don't change their spots. So even if he does break up with his BF, if he's cheated and lied (by omission) once... odds are he is likely to do it again.

I know it's hard when you have strong feelings for someone, but in this case, I think you can do a lot better.

As for relationships, I think one of the reasons that most gay relationships are shorter is I think most gay people entering them have a lot more emotional baggage they bring to the relationship (as a result of the internalized homophobia from having to come out, various other insecurities, etc). I have a number of gay friends who have been in stable, drama-free relationships for anywhere from a year to 25 years (most in the 3 to 5 year range), so it's quite possible to have healthy relationships... but it takes time to find the right person, you don't find them in bars (generally), and both parties have to be open to working on their own internal crap and committed to really working on communication. It isn't easy, but if both partners are committed to growing themselves, it's very possible.

19. mandarof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. We've all been there done that regarding coming out. That changes people. They live their life feeling one way, then have this chapter break all of a sudden and the way they handle the new opportunities is something typical straight people do not get. Or have to go through.

It's an exciting life.

Totally agree, first-love type infatuation. Granted, I will have a few first-experiences everything from first guy for a week, first guy for a month, first guy for a year. And each one will feel different. Preparing myself now...

I only wish we can be friends one day. I want to get to know this guy, someday, before I die. haha

20. starfish

You've mentioned this guy a few times now. You need to quit fooling yourself, that guy being drunk was not in that much danger. You wanted to have sex and you found some drunk to go home with you and convinced him to have sex. Now you are obsessed with him and think you can't live with out him. Trying to figure out how to get him away from his boyfriend. That is kind of creepy. No, I take that back. That is creepy.

Yeah that may be harsh, but dude listen to what you are saying.