1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going stir crazy

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by volleyren, Feb 7, 2011.

1. volleyren

I've never been an athletic person, but a while back, I decided I might like to try running. Nothing serious, considering my present lack of fitness, but something to work towards anyway. And for all the anguish that came with being out-of-shape, I really enjoyed it the few times I did it before the snow flew.

It's already been a long-ish winter here in Pennsylvania, and it's not going to let up soon. Couple that with the nature of online job searching, etc., and my lifestyle is certainly more sedentary than I'd like. Last winter, this wasn't a problem since I was still at University, heading out and about, doing all sorts of things. This winter, I'm just cooped up at home.

I do enjoy walking, and I already have been making a point of taking a short walk outside daily for a bit of "fresh air," but it isn't quite the same. I feel like it's been so long since I've exerted a whole bunch of energy — that it's all pent up inside of me, waiting to get out. I'm going a bit stir crazy, and short of running around the house (which would be ridiculous, not to mention rather unsafe), I don't know what I can do.

I'm looking for something that will primarily help me feel better whilst more summery activities are hindered by the snow. Something that I can do indoors without any special equipment that, coupled with my walks, will make me feel as though I'm more active than sedentary. And if it can actually help to get me in shape, too, that'd be an added bonus.

Any suggestions?

2. roborama

theres always the join a gym option (totally reversed my new england winter blues) but theres also basic workouts (like the ones you find ing girly magazines and mens health) that dont require any equipment; you can probably find some online. or take up an active hobby or take a class. theres a lot of options. and if you feel like braving the cold snow-shoeing and other winter sports are great

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Like hdryjo said.

You could also try jumping rope. Its suppose to be really good for you.

4. RedState

well, I don't know what what your budget situation is, but I would join a gym. Since the weather (be it snow or extreme cold) does tend to hinder outdoor activities in your part of the world. You got treadmills as an option and a whole slew of other choices to burn off that excess energy.

5. zeratul

zeratul Guest

My mom and dad bought a DVD that's like Latin dancing or something like that. It is really sexy and it is designed not as a dance lesson but a workout, and its like about 1 to 2 hr of choreographed dancing in front of the TV. The music is pretty groovy, and I think its really cool. Try it you might enjoy :lol:

6. TyPod

Running up and down the stairs?

7. volleyren

Thanks for the suggestions. There is a gym that opened up not too long ago about a three-minute walk from my house; however, upon further investigation, I discovered it costs $35/month. This is yucky because (a) I don't have a steady source of income or much savings, and (b) if I tried to "stretch the value" of a membership, going to the gym would feel like just another chore, which is the last thing I want.

Although I will look into whether "day pass" options might fit my budget/schedule a little better, I guess I was more looking for specific things I can do around the house. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post.

Anyway, links to specific workout routines, videos, etc. would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I'll run up and down the stairs trying to find a rope to jump. :wink: