1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaving

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Kerze, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed that i've had facial hair for a while now but it's beinging to become visable from further away; I dont realy like it so i've decided to shave :S Does anyone have any advice? Technique, preparation, ect.? I don't have any male relatives so there's nobody I can actualy ask to show me and any help from you guys would be apreciated. :icon_bigg

2. RealityCheck

I'm sure there are tons of folks here that can provide proper techniques and recommend preparations, but I keep it simple. I always shave in the shower using a fogless mirror. The steam softens the beard and seems so keep it from getting irritated. No razor burn. I just use shaving cream. My favorite razor brand is the Gillette Proglide series, but they are expensive. I also use a face lotion after showering that has a decent spf rating. I have dark hair that is coarse, but if you have blonde hair and it is soft you could probably get by with an electric razor. They just never have worked for me.

3. Ridiculous

Shave in the same direction as the hair grows. For example, hair on your upper lip grow downwards towards the mouth, so the razor strokes should be in that direction as well. If you shave against the direction of growth, there is a greater chance of irritation (because it lifts the hair up, along with the skin it is attached to, meaning that the skin could be sliced off as well as the hair, leading to razorburn). You'll have to look and see what direction your hair grows in other areas like your neck and cheeks, as it's different for most people.

Only go over an area ONCE. Your razor should be sharp enough that it will cut the hair off with one stroke. If you use even just one more stroke, you're doubling any irritation that is caused.

Use some sort of lotion or moisturiser afterwards, like RealityCheck said. Otherwise your skin will be tight and dry which could lead to other skin complications.

4. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had the same problem when I was younger. Make sure you splash hot water on your face and then put on shaving cream before starting. In my experience, everyone shaves differently so I wouldnt pay too much attention to the details laid out by others in this thread. You should be fine.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually do it after a shower, get my face wet with warm water, dry it off, put the shaving cream on, and go at it. Rinsing off the shaver with each stroke, then doing another part, etc. If I do it too often sometimes it causes me to break out or irritates my skin. I try to do it every other day. =) You could try a nice electric shaver and it won't get as close, but should still give you a decent shave.

6. KaraBulut

Invest in better quality razors. It's a little harder to use an electric razor until your beard stiffens and thickens, so a blade razor is where most guys start. The more blades the better. If you use disposables, change the blade before they get too dull and remember to be careful the first time you shave with a new blade.

Don't press hard. The blade should just glide over your skin. Be careful around your nose, your lips and your chin- these are the places that you're most likely to nick if you're not careful.

Moisturize before and after. Never shave dry- you'll rip the hell out of your skin. Until you get the hang of it, sometimes it's easier to shave with a mild soap or lotion where you can see the curves and irregular surfaces on your face. After a while, you can use shaving cream and not have to pay as much attention.

7. aidan

You should buy an electric razor. They're expensive but well worth it.

8. MaxLinden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This....
    It makes time go faster....
    I hate shaving though.... I wish I could just get the operation where it stops hair from growing all over your body.... Only hair I like is my hair thats on my head, my eye brows, and eye lashes.... =3

9. splattered

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I Use Aveeno shave gel. The stuffs good for anywhere really. I use a gellette mach 3 and I shave in the shower. I take the shower head and put it up to my face with hot water and I get everywhere to open up the pores. I then shave in front of a mirror in my shower. I shave against the grain. I'm kind of Ocd about it so I shave, and shave again until I'm smooth. I also wax the back of my neck and where my neck meets my shirt. Anyways I never get razorburn or bleed so I'm good. I prefer to be shaved. And when I'm done shaving I use soap on my face and then cold water for some reason. Just my routine I guess

10. RedState

Well, depending on your hair type, your facial hair will get thicker as you get older.
    I shave in the shower (steam is your friend) and use a pre-shave oil (really helps soften the beard), then I use a shave gel. It's also important to invest in a high quality razor...they're expensive but well worth it (your face will thank you!). Replace the blades every few days or so (depending on usage).

I got stuck with a disposable razor that a hotel gave me one time cause I forgot mine. I wouldn't get out of the electric chair to use one of those torture devices again.

Also, have something there for when you cut yourself (which is bound to happen). For whatever reason, razor cuts bleed like there's no tomorrow. I cut myself this morning and I swear I think I lost a pint of blood.

Some people use tissue to temporarily blot the blood...I used to do that until I forgot it was on one day and like a klutz I walked into my office with tissue stuck all over my face. Now I may dab the cut with just a little vaseline. That seems to help me stop the bleeding.

Also, very important, always moisturize right after you shave. I use a lot of Lab Series for Men stuff, but that's just my preference.

11. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for everything, does anyone have any advice on what to do about spots?

12. TheJoker

First time i shave, i used some plastic stuff with one razor. (they shave animals with that:lol:slight_smile: And i did it well.Don't worry nobody idiot enough to kill themselves while shaving.And little cuts is nothing.You are man,damn it! :lol: Good luck :thumbsup:

13. KaraBulut

Depends on whether they are deep or superficial.

If they're superficial, a gentle scrub with a hot washcloth before you shave will remove the top layer of skin before you shave.

If they're deep, there are different products on the market that you can buy at the pharmacy (which I think you probably know as "the chemist"). You may need to try different products until you find the one that works for you. If the area is inflamed, you may either need to shave very gently or just avoid shaving over the area until the inflammation subsides.

14. Connor22

honestly I just go for it, no cream (I don't know how do work it) and literally just start hackin with a razor, works a treat for me but meh

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    me too, but i have some kind of crazy hairless gene or something, i still get nothing but downy bumfluff on my face, and i only need to shave every week or two, while my poor unfortunate brother has a 5 o'clock shadow at 11 o'clock in the morning =D

it really depends on your face. The denser and coarser your hair, the more products you're going to need to buy to look after it properly.

16. Haberdasher

I use a straight razor, so yeah, I am just here to brag as I doubt I'll convert you and my method is probably non-applicable except in the general sense. : P

17. Gumtree

I think your skin type and condition has so much to do with it.

I use gillette razors on their own. I shave in the shower without any soap or shaving cream and just make sure that my skin is wet.

I shave exclusively against the grain/hair to make sure it 'feels' and looks totally smooth. The only additional thing I really do is make sure I use an anti-bacterial soap on my face straight after shaving. I have really course black hair that grows very fast so I shave every second day atleast and only ever against the hair otherwise I have my 5o'clock shadow before I even leave the bathroom.

I've never had any form of razor burn or facial acne other than tiny singular occurrences so I am probably a bad person to test my methods on, I'm positive that if other people with different skin shaved like me it could be a disaster.

18. Bevo

lather up! A good shaving cream or suds mixture on the skin is essential to prevent/reduce irritation and remember to take it slow! Getting carried away with your shaving is a recipe for disaster!

19. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say shave at night. Chances are you're gonna cut yourself the first time, this way you can deal with any cuts and give them the night heal, and you won't have any bleeding face issues the next day

20. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    am i abnormal in that i have never, ever cut myself shaving?

even downstairs... it's just never happened, and i don't think i've been particularly careful.