1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Fat

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by hopelesslover93, Feb 9, 2011.

1. hopelesslover93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi! I don't consider myself as a fat/chubby person,i'm 1.76 m and my weight is 65 kg (sorry about non-American measuring).Lots of people say i look in shape but i actually am unhappy with my belly and want to burn it so bad. I went to gym for couple of times during past few years but it wasn't enough. I can't go to gym now because of hard school work,these years are kinda academically hard for me and I don't have much time. So what do you recommend me to do while i'm home to get it started? Do you know some simple exercises to make a flat stomache?

-Thanks a bunch:icon_bigg

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Crunches, have u tried the px90 workout?

3. Ridiculous

Crunches won't actually burn calories (not many anyway), instead they will build and tone the stomach muscles. This will probably flatten it out a bit but it certainly won't remove the fat in that area; you'll have to go and do something more energetic like running, or swimming or cycling for that.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought the belly was the last place your body took fat stores from?

Anyways, cardio can help burn calories. Weight lifting build muscles - simply having muscles burn calories even when idle. So if you wanna lose your belly fat you'll have to lose fat overall. I don't think working the stomach will do anything to that, since, just because you are working that area, the calories aren't coming from there. Do cardio or weight lifting if you want to get built. Cut out junk food or alcohol (pretty empty calories....)

5. hopelesslover93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I eat pretty healthy, i mean i go to fast food restaurants once or twice a month. I'll try the crunches. And swimming is one thing I can do, i swim almost 1 km everyday at summertime but i don't know if it helps, anyways thanks for the advice!..

6. RedState

well, you can't really target a specific place in your body to lose weight. By starting an overall fitness/nutrition program your overall body fat will decrease over time. Although, for men at least, losing belly fat is always the most stubborn. Women store most of their excess fat in the hip (they are not lying when they say it goes straight to the hips) and men store most of their excess fat in the belly.

I would suggest starting a combo cardio/weight training routine. You said you swim a lot during the summer...swimming is an excellent exercise, especially the distance that you do. Try to incorporate that with a light weight training routine to help tone what you do have, and build a little more (but not too much, unless you want to compete in the Arnold Classic) Muscle does help your body burn fat, even when you are not being active.

Crunches (alone) do nothing really to help in losing belly fat. Crunches and ab routines simply tighten and tone your abdominal muscles...but you cannot see those muscles as long as you have a layer of fat covering them.

When you can't swim, I would suggest something as simple as running..build up to at least 30-45 mins say 4 times a week. But, when trying to burn stubborn fat, timing is key. While all exercise is good, there are times when it is most effective in burning unwanted fat. When I'm on a cutting cycle I like to do cardio first thing in the morning, before I eat anything. That way my body has nothing in it and it is forced to burn any excess fat I have for fuel. If you can't do that, wait at least 2-3 hours after your last meal to crank out a couple of miles.

Eating fast food once or twice a month isn't bad, so don't worry too much bout that...as long as you keep it to just a couple times a month. But nutrition is key in this as well.

Oh wow, I sure have rambled.
    But good luck with it.

#6 RedState, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm learning in nutrition that your body needs glucose for the brain/nervous system to function... If you don't have enough carbs your body will use protein to make glucose... taking it from important other functions protein has... I'm not exactly sure how fat is burned though! I'm not sure I'd recommend the running when you have no food when you first wake up in reguards to that... just throwing that out there, it may be wrong. Might be fine just to burn a little fat. =/

8. KaraBulut

If I did the math correctly, you're about 5'10" and 143 pounds.

This belly that you're seeing- is it fat on top of the muscles or just a belly that you feel sticks out (like a "snake-belly")?

9. hopelesslover93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, i didn't really know that running could help at all ! Then it's great , i bought a treadmill, so i'm gonna use it before i eat something.

btw @Karabulut, since no one ever realizes that, i think it is a "snake-belly" but i don't like it anyway i want to be completely fit even though ppl keep sayin' it's not apparent at all..

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cardio. Eat less fats and sugars.

11. zeratul

zeratul Guest

the abdominal muscles are about holding your torso straight in a natural position. the best way to do this is to just run and watch your postures while you are running, hold your torso straight

12. KaraBulut

When guys start going to the gym, I tell them to make pictures and take measurements because very few people can look in a mirror and see how all the pieces fit together.

If you had answered, "I have a roll of fat on top of the muscles between my belly button and my belt", I would tell you to reduce your carbs, increase your protein and do more cardio like walking, jogging, swimming, treadmill, stairclimber, etc. These are things that get rid of fat deposits in the midsection.

But the "snakebelly" on otherwise normal sized guys is usually something else- it's usually a weakness and imbalance in the muscles of the midsection. The best way to get rid of that "snakebelly" look is to not focus on the abdominals as much as you focus on the chest and shoulders. Yes, you should do abdominal work (everyone should since it takes stress off the back muscles).

But by toning and building your chest and shoulders, you'll change the proportions of your body. You'll make your clothes fit better in the upper body, you'll make that area bigger so that it doesn't look like your midsection and belly are sticking out.

It's very easy to look in the mirror and say, "God, I have a belly!". It's much hard to say, "Oh, the problem is that my belly and my upper chest are not in proportion. And I suspect you're focusing on the belly not realizing that it's the proportions that are making you think the problem is your belly.

#12 KaraBulut, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  13. hopelesslover93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OK, but reducing carbs and doing cardio still make sense to me,even though it's about proportion. Thank you all for counseling..

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's some tips I learned in nutrition. Don't reduce a specific group of foods. Carbs are as important to your body as everything else. Carbs have 4 calories per gram - the SAME as protein. Fat has 9 calories per gram. Eat carbs, but try to make your carbs (which are fruits/veggies/grains) whole grains, or actually fruit rather than juice. Fiber in your stomach helps make you feel fuller (refined grains, and juices don't have fiber). Your brain needs glucose and so do most of your cells and if you reduce carbs you'll probably just eat more fats or proteins. Which is pointless. Cardio is good though. Any exercise. You do not seem overweight though from the stats kara gave. Everyone has a little "flubby" belly when they lean over etc. You could try to get abs and some tone to your body by lifting weights or doing some ab exercises and this should help.... I think you'll be a skeleton if you lose anymore weight... just tone up what you have! If you don't want muscle then you're kinda out of luck... You'll look like a twig or have a belly that might look fat when you scrunch it together...

15. TheJoker

There is no way u can just lose weight from your belly.You have to change your lifestyle to get shape.First of all nutrition is more important than sport.So even if work out like champion bodybuldier and eat like pig, u cant lose it.You must start eating high proteing low carb,and fat.Like chicken breast (but no KFC :grin: ) fish some red meat. (no hamburger,hotdog, just red meat with less fat) and always vegetable and fruits.Kinda caveman style.
    About sports, u must try cardio instead of lifting,crunch.Running,Bicycle..At least 20 minutes,because your fat start burning after 20 minutes and you must do it something between you can feel you are trying hard but not like gonna have heart attack. Then you can try crunch or other aerobic stuff.

And you must be patient.Its not gonna change in one day. From my personal experience..i lost 23 kg in 2 months and started to wear my jeans when i cant fit in when i was highschool. and im 25 now.

please don't make it an obsessive thing.Because it usually happen when you started to get shape.Good Luck,you can make it.Just remember its about %70 your diet,%30 cardio. :thumbsup:

16. Zontar

Bike riding.

Do it every day and the pounds will melt off. Together with portioning (not even a diet, just smaller meals) I lost thirty pounds in three months at the end of last year, and cleared up symptoms of pre-diabetes. Ten more pounds to lose and I should have a completely flat stomach.

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, I learned it in my nutrition class that high protein diets are not very beneficial. He probably only needs anywhere from 50-125g of protein a day depending on what kind of exercise he does. Anyways, low carb won't do much good. Protein rich foods are more expensive and have no benefits and too much can have some drawbacks... If you do not have enough carbs, which are the body's preferred source of energy, your body will convert the protein into glucose anyways. Too much protein does things such as carry calcium out of the body, strain kidneys, etc. The only good thing is protein takes longer to digest so you won't eat as much. But you do need your carbs. Too much protein won't be of benefit..... Eating carbs give your body energy it needs and allows it to use the protein for the important bodily functions that need it as well as muscle building if you want that.

#17 Austin, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  18. TheJoker

Yea, and fruits & vegetables are carbs.With no fat.At least eat pasta or rice without using butter. (and eat only 100 gr) No white breed,donuts,pizza :lol:

I tried caveman stuff. Ate chicken breast,fish,vegetable,fruits all the time and drank only water & black coffee (without sugar).I walked fast or used bicycle at least more than 20 minutes. (I did an hour everyday) In 1.5 months i lost 23 kg from everywhere.Personal experience :thumbsup:

19. hopelesslover93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Cool! I think I need something like that, i mean i dont want lose 23 kg 'cuz i dont want to be like a skeleton but i really need that cardio thing. I don't eat donuts,pizza,burger or at KFC but sometimes i eat white bread,that caveman diet is what i'm trying to follow for couple of years..And that's also great that most important part is nutrition since i'm not a sporty person.. :smilewave
    (!)

20. TheJoker

Great then..Eat everything associated with healthy and you will start loosing weight.Loosing weight is not a problem but living without donusts,pizza,burger,milkshake is. :lol: