1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about a lump.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jay, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Jay

Jay

I have a lump in my inner thigh, around 6 inches below the package. It's Red, Big and very irritated. The skin around is very soft, more than usual, and the thing is huge--around a half inch ball cut in half. It doesn't hurt by itself, only when you know... I walk (because of the clothing, it rubs it and it's uncomfortable). Nothing oozes from it either. :S

Anyone might know what is this about? Thanks!

2. maverick

Ingrown hair maybe? They can cause an abcess.

3. Ridiculous

It sounds like an ingrown hair to me aswell.
    I haven't had any success myself with them apart from waiting until they sort themselves out, but you could try holding something warm on it (such as a cloth left in hot water) for a few minutes to try and open up the pore.

4. maverick

If you're not squeamish and can handle a bit of pain, you can sterilize a razor or straight pen and lance or prick the abcess to drain the pus. The site will heal faster that way and once the swelling is alleviated, so is the majority of the pain. Then you can just put a Bandaid with some Neosporin on the site to prevent infection.

Just be sure to use something really clean and sharp if you do this though.

5. KaraBulut

If it is large, red and irrtated, it sounds like a boil. You should see your doctor to determine if it needs to be treated.

6. Jay

Jay

There is no pus, or white tip... it's just a red, soft, very irritated ball. I asked here because I really did want to check what could it be and I can't afford going to the doctor right now, which sucks :frowning2:

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe... a pic would help? idk. I'm sure it's fine... it doesn't sound like anything serious maybe you should see how it feels in a few days. How long have you had it?

8. Beachboi92

It could be something like a spider bite or another bug bite. Does it have any little spots that could be indicative of a bite?

I can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned. If it was me personally and it felt soft i would think there is something in it and have ended up either scratching it open or popping it xD Like maverick said if you go that route sterilize a needle or something with rubbing alcohol or peroxide or something and prick it so you can drain it then put some neosporin and a bandaid on it.

9. KittyBoy

Sounds much like a carbuncle, but you have to be careful. Even though it is not leaking, carbuncles have pus that is full of poison...

10. flymetothemoon

It sounds like a boil to me. I get them a lot, and usually you can't see a white head for a while with them. Try putting a hot compress on it a couple of times a day to see if you can get it to pop on its own. Make sure that if it does pop, you keep the area really clean and cover it with a bandaid with some neosporin or triple antibiotic or something to keep it from getting infected. I'd be careful about trying to drain it on your own because you can spread the infection that way. It's best to let it happen itself. If it doesn't go away and you've had it for more than 2 weeks, it might be time to try to find a clinic or something that can give you low cost medical care because it might need to be lanced by a medical professional if its too deep in the skin.

#10 flymetothemoon, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  11. Jay

Jay

The lump is back! Well, it really never disappeared but it shrunk in size and it didn't burn, but now it's once again swollen and it is very uncomfortable since it burns when it rubs against my clothes.

It's sort-of gross. v.v
    [​IMG]

12. KaraBulut

Looks like a sebaceous cyst. It's something that a dermatologist can remove for you.

13. Jay

Jay

But it doesn't have any white spot. I am sort of ignorant, sorry! Aren't like sebaceous cyst the ones you pop with a heated needle and white stuff oozes out of it? (haven't tried anything by the way, too scared of doing anything that might actually worsen it!)

Is there anything I can do myself instead of going to a dermatologist?

PS. Thank you so much Kara <3

14. KaraBulut

Sebaceous cysts can something drain sebum but they also can form a pearl-like hard ball under the skin. As long as it doesn't become infected, there's no urgency in removing it. But it generally does take an in-office minor surgery to excise it.

15. Jay

Jay

White or red ball = no urgency, Black ball = infected? Because it's rather looking black than red today v.v

WHY MEEEEEE *kicks self*

16. Steven791

If it's black now it could be infected, or it could be blood built up in it like a pimple that has been there for a while. Do you get pimples a lot? It doesn't really look like a pimple though... I would go to one of the cheap clinics.

17. Jay

Jay

Well, I went against what you guys told me and I popped it v.v It was a GROSS BLACK BLOOD CLOT!!! It went flying through the air and landed like ten feet away from me. It is now all prune-like and it doesn't burn anymore. No white thing oozed, but the blood seemed to come out more of a light-red color rather than a vivid-red. And I kept it going until it was bleeding with a normal color. It is now better. Now, if it comes back, I am definitely having it checked by a pro. <3