1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ditch Those Foster Grants!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Black Cat, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, recently I talked to my eye doctor about switching to contact lenses. I've wanted them for a long time, as I have worn glasses since age 6. The doctor talked to me about them, and I feel pretty well informed, but I was wondering if anyone here who wears contacts could share some first-hand experiences with me. They say there is no better way to learn something than to experience it, and reading medical articles about contacts about them only teaches me so much. So help a cat out, share your stories below.

Thanks in advance everyone. :slight_smile: I appreciate any input you all have to offer.

2. RaRa

I dont get why people are scared of contacts. I fucking love them. I think some people are just scared of "omg it'll slide up my eye" or "oh no I have to touch my eye." mines slide pmy eye every once in a wile and its no big deal...

Some people are naturals at putting em....some need practice. I was someone who needed like a week to get used to putting em on in one try....its quite funny when you fail actually...but dont worry cause soon youll be a natural. :slight_smile:

Heres the important thing thiugh...dont be like me....take em off every night. Ill sleep with my contacts and leave them on for months at a time. This makes your natural vision so bad im nearly fucking blind without my contacts...but im just a lazy bum. Youll be fine. :slight_smile:

3. Shevanel

I love contacts. Think of it as the difference between standard definition TV and High Definition. xD It's so purdy when you have a full range of vision at perfect ... vision. xD

The first day isn't easy, nor is the second day, but you get used to it very fast. The thought of putting something in your eye has to be gotten over though, as gross as it is (if that indeed does bother you).

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It takes a little while to get used to them, and yes, they can slide up toward the top of your eye but it's no big deal if they do, you just look down and blink a couple times and they slide back into position.

I haven't worn them for years and it's better now because most of them are disposibles, but I will tell you i had a TON of trouble with eye infections, allergic reactions to the disinfecting solution, etc... and this was with a very careful regimen of proper cleaning, rinsing, disinfection, etc.

Now maybe my eyes are more sensitive than most, but honestly, it wasn't worth the hassle for me so I went back to wearing glasses.

5. Flyers2011

Make sure you always clean them and wash your hands before touching them. Or else you'll end up with nastiness in your eye and that could lead to an infection.

Also, it's good to wear your glasses sometimes even though you have contacts. Glasses will give your eyes a break from the contacts.

Other than that, contacts are the best thing since sliced bread.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I love contact lenses just because glasses are so annoying and always getting in the way.

My eyes dry up pretty fast so around 5 pm I always take them off and wear glasses around the house.

Go for them. So amazing! :grin:

Also, don't go to bed with them. You might wake up and for the first 5 secs think you are cured... :frowning2: haha

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like my contacts.
    I think I actually look better with glasses, but in general, contacts are easier, give me better depth vision, and makes sure that, being the natural klutz that I am, don't lose or break any glasses. Also, since a couple of years, the difference in eye correction needed between two eyes got so bad, I can't wear glasses anymore without getting horrible headaches.

I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but my eye doctor got me a ouple of free sample ones at first to see whether I liked them. I did have a slight panic after first putting them in ("OMG, they're in, but what if I'll be unable to take them out again?"), but taking them in and out turned out to be remarkably simple. Initially, your reflex is to close your eye, but once you're used to putting them in and out, it only takes a couple of seconds, even without a mirror.

Proper routine and hygiene is very important, though. They need to be kept clean, rinsed, and handled with care. If you're using disposables, don't be tempted to keep them in at night or longer than their expiry date. The risk of developing nastyness on them is too big, and they are in contact with your eyes all day.

And I would advise getting a small bottle of eyedrops. I don't have to use them often, but if the weather is very dry, the contacts do start to feel dry as well (whereas otherwise you can't feel them, really).

8. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the stories everyone. I have another appointment on Tuesday to practice putting them in, since the first time I couldn't successfully do it and they won't let me take them home unless I can get them in and out by myself (which I'm grateful for - the last thing I want to do is put them in at home and not be able to get them out! xD)

The doctor is giving me a few sample pairs to use until I order some more myself.

And it is surprisingly easier to do than I expected, I mean I didn't get them in yet, but the process is actually nothing. I just have to work on not blinking.

We went over the hygene part already, they told me how to take care of them and everything like that. I don't think that should be a problem for me since I'm already pretty good with that.

Thanks again everyone! :slight_smile: