1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is disgusting.. and worrisome.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RaeofLite, Feb 19, 2011.

1. RaeofLite

Hey EC...

So I've smoked officially for about two years and socially at the occasional weekend party for half a year before that. I decided to quit smoking February 3rd due to a crazy cough and cold I was getting. I felt better, and later that week (the weekend) I had three cigarettes. I instantly felt sick, anxious and down again... I had major chest, and throat pain, with a runny nose as well. I have had that for a week and it's barely budging.

I have pain in my temples and what feels like behind my eyeball sockets, my nostrils and sometimes my chest when I sneeze or cough. I've used vicks ointment, cepracol losenges, fisherman's friends, buckley's... so much...

And yet for two days now my mucus is comning out clear. Does that mean it's an infection or an alergy? Is this my body's way of coping with suddenly quitting smoking?

2. flymetothemoon

It could be some kind of infection, I would go get it checked out if I were you, especially if it doesn't seem to be improving within a few days.

3. Arex

It sounds like you have some sort of infection, though it might have been something other than just the cigarettes. The cold you might have been having could have been worsened by the use of cigarettes, I don't know but I would say infection. Might have to get it checked out.

4. RedState

Well, from what I have been told by friends in the medical field, if your mucus has a tint to it or yellowish, that is a sign of infection. If it is clear, I would presume, it may be allergies.
    The cigs could have irritated something too, but I would imagine it wouldn't have lasted as long as it has.
    Congrats on the stoping smoking thing. I smoked for years and quit about 5 years ago. It was tough at first but I haven't had one since the day I quit.
    This is a little off subject but a tip for you: if you start getting those nicotine cravings, go get some of the nicotine gum to chew when those cravings come. That really helped me.