1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STD tests

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Austin, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    does anyone know any full STD testing clinics around San Clemente California or how i can find them?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're looking for clinics where you pay for a test, Labcorp should have a blood draw facility near you (they're almost everywhere.) That's about the only place you can get a full-panel test (hepatitis-b and c, HIV, syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes, HPV/genital warts) and it isn't cheap.

If you're looking for free testing, most of the ones I know of do HIV, syphilis, and gonorrhea, or sometimes just HIV. If that would meet your needs, let me know and I will check with a couple of the groups I know that do testing throughout california.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It isn't clear, I'd call them to make sure.

If I were to make a wild guess, I'd guess HIV, gonorrhea, syphilis, and maybe chlamydia. Perhaps KB would know better than I.

But... the truth is, HIV and syphilis are the serious ones because they are both relatively easy to become infected with *and* difficult to treat (in the case of syphilis, only if not caught early). Gonorrhea and chlamydia are easy to treat; Hep-C is as difficult, or more difficult, than HIV, but more difficult to become infected with, and hep-B is less common than it used to be, as far as my understanding goes.

So whatever they are offering as an STD panel will probably meet your needs, but you'd said "full panel" so I was thinking you were after an exhaustive one. If you've had risky (receptive anal unprotected) sex with multiple partners (such as at a bathhouse, or craigslist hookups, or otherwise been with people who regularly have unsafe sex) then I'd want a full panel. But if you're being careful, and asking partners about their history, and you have reason to believe them (i.e, not meeting them off of craigslist or in a bathhouse) then whatever the panel the health department is offering is probably fine.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I probably can't afford anything other than what they offer for free. So I guess that's the best I'll get.