1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muscle building...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Austin, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I just made a thread but I had a quick question to see if anyone knew. I read somewhere that after working out for a couple months that taking a week off can be beneficial. And my dad says I should probably take a few days off (because I feel like I'm not improving too much, if not feeling a tiny bit weaker the past week or so). I have been going about every other day for 2 months pretty religiously. Are breaks a good idea?

2. StmkBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey there,

Honestly, I have never heard of such a thing yet (taking a one week break after some months). You should take a break whenever you feel too tired to work out. Maybe you are just getting a too short period of regeneration. Especially if you feel sick or even if you are ill you should take some more days off. Allowing yourself to refuel and get back some energy can never be a mistake. As for nutrition you should eat enough and all the things you need.

Remember while not working out your body needs less (but not too little!!) calories. As for "staying-in-shape-reasons". Simply eat as you are used to.

Greets

3. Mr.Pushover

As I learned from my father, you need rest every once in a while because when you work out your muscles too much you start to break down the muscle too much and you won't gain much muscle, so you need a break for your body to build the muscle.

That's what I was taught at least.

4. Ridiculous

Muscle growth occurs during the rest period after they are worked out, so you should give them a day or two of rest (a week is probably excessive).

You can structure your workout so that one muscle group is exercised while another is rested; e.g. arms on Monday, legs Tuesday, core Wednesday, back to arms on Thursday.

5. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    When building muscles it is very important to eat properly , a good training schedule would be every second day. and then having some nice protien after the traiginign prefably not from those powders.

I have been building muslces using this method and I have gained quite a few kilos of muscle.

Aslo i recommend getting a private traininer to show you what to do or else youd pretty much be wasting tour time. This is due to basic lack of knowelge on what drills strengthen what muscle and if you do 4 different excersies on the same muscle then you may casue it to actually get weaker.

Oh and dont forget to eat after practise. a shower helps too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. RedState

Well, what is your basic routine?
    I would be able to give you a little better advice if I knew what that was.

7. Fishken

Fishken Guest

I'm working out every day during weekdays, and then take saturday and sunday off. you need a couple of days once in a while to allow the muscles time to rebuild all those muscle fibers you tear apart during training.

8. Steve

I dont think thats a good method, you work straight 5 days in aweek? that way you just keep ont earing your muscles

all our gym instructors at our gym advise every second day

9. zeratul

zeratul Guest

He probably meant different muscular groups every day.

10. Steve

Still, its best t have one day of complete rest rthaer then 5 days of working out , its just not healthy, unless its aerobic and muscle building is not that aerobic

11. starfish

I work out every other day also.

I take a week off from time to time. Usually every 10-12 weeks, sometimes it is as short as 6 weeks. I know that it time to take a break because I will be tired all the time and my heart just won't be in it. Another sign that I need a break is that I'll quit eating and when I do eat I make poor food choices.

So yes it is good to take time off from time to time. It it important to have a restart date and to stick too it.

12. Fishken

Fishken Guest

I train different muscle groups each time, but the point is that I have been doing this for quite a few years. For someone who haven't been working Out regularly, 2 to 3 times training a week is maximum. The increase comes after a year or two.

13. Ridiculous

I've got a related question: lots of people say that after working out you should eat protein. Does this actually make a difference to say, eating it before, or 3 hours after? Is there any benefit to eating protein as soon as possible after the workout as opposed to any other time in the day?

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys for all the replies. Bamaboy I mailed you my routine. But I'll post it somewhat. I go every other day usually and do pretty much entire upper body/abs and do legs usually a few hours before (unless im lazy with legs which i am a lot....) but I'm pretty religious with upper body/abs and it's been about 2 months. My shoulders are kinda sore right now =/ idk why.

Anyways I was wondering the same as ridiculous because your stomach takes a while to digest protein and then you have to absorb it... But I think if you have it right after you might start absorbing it the same time your muscles start to rebuild? Protein is helpful though because your muscles do need it to build and I assume that if u don't happen to have the right amino acids when your muscles are healing it might slow it down a little? Need carbs too tho. That's my guess.

15. Steve

I train different muscle groups each time, but the point is that I have been doing this for quite a few years. For someone who haven't been working Out regularly, 2 to 3 times training a week is maximum. The increase comes after a year or two.[/QUOTE]

I have only been working out for half a year before i get drafted. i have seen resukts, and all the matters are results so if you get results thats good.

@austin , if you really want to build muscles i advice that you find a trainer to give you instructions

16. RedState

Yes it makes a huge difference. Sometimes the timing of your nutrition intake is just as important as what you eat.

It's good to have some light protein and some carbs about 30-45 mins before you work out. This will give your body some needed energy to make it through your work out.

There is a window of about an hour after you work out when you need to consume a fast dissolving protein mix and simple carbs. Along with my protein supplements I also take something that is called waxy maize starch. It's basically a powder carbohydrate that I add directly to my post work-out shake. The moment you stop working out, the recovery process begins and that 60 time window is crucial (which is why it needs to be a fast dissolving protein).

17. Steve

completly disagree, eating within an hour before the workout will make him sick.

eat around 90 minutes before a workout session, And after wards eat protien as fast as you can. you willuse that to buildthemuscles you tore in the practise

18. Rikudo

I know that my strengthening & conditioning coach tells us eat/drink supplement about an 1hr before working out and then within 45 min of finishing your work out. Also you guys have to remember that it's not supposed to be a huge amount of food maybe something like a peanut butter sandwich or a protein bar. Something light that'll get you through your work out.

However there will be varying opinions on the timing of eating food. For example my lifting buddy who is 34 and has already played at college level ball drinks muscle milk throughout the day.

I'd say just you knowing your own body and using some common sense I'm sure you can think of something. Also if you're using a trainer talk to this person.

19. RedState

I didn't say eat. You need to consume a protein/crab bend (through a supplement is preferable) My apologies if I did not make that clear.

After a workout session you need the fastest dissolving protein you can find to put in your system (I use Hydro-Whey, which is consumed by you body quicker than regular Whey). Certainly you can eat, but it is more beneficial to your body's muscle building capability to consume that protein as a supplement post-work out.

It also might be a good idea to also start using some casein protein at night. This is a slow dissolving protein that will help keep the muscles fed while you sleep.