1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avoiding razor burn "down there"

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by flymetothemoon, Feb 25, 2011.

1. flymetothemoon

So this is a slightly awkward/embarrassing question, but I figured what the heck, you guys are pretty non-judgmental, so I'll post it here and not under anonymous. I prefer to be shaved "down there" but have found that if I shave frequently (and by frequently I don't mean every day, maybe 1-2 times a week even) enough to keep the hair growth under control, I tend to get really bad razor burn. I shave my legs and such without problem typically, so I think it's just because this is a more sensitive area. Any suggestions for how to avoid this or products to help control it? I'm not sure at this point what is worse, the razor burn or the hair...

2. Zontar

I'm not particularly sure if there is anything you can do. I have an identical problem...within shaving, for days it will feel like hundreds of small needles, irritated and painful...I've just resorted to leaving it grow until certain situations warrant that I do shave.

3. TheJoker

My girlfriend was using wax.Maybe its better than razors.

Where are the lesbians when you need them?

4. hiddendc4

This topic came up a while back and iirc one piece of advice was to put lotion or skin moisturizer on shortly after wards. What kind of razor are you using?

5. hplsromantic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i dont remember exactly how i found out, think i read it somewhere, but hydrocortizone cream stops me from getting razor burn on my face and neck. also seems to help against ingrown hairs.

6. KaraBulut

The problem with shaving "down there" is that the skin is more sensitive and there's folds of skin that rub against each other. You will be more prone to ingrown hairs, razor rash and follicle infections if you shave down to the skin.

The better option is to clipper the hair using a body groomer instead of shaving with a razor. Just trim it close to the skin but not completely bare.

Waxing does make for a softer regrowth because the ends of the hair are not as sharp when they grow in after waxing. Shaving tends to create a sharp, bristle-like end to the hair which is part of the reason it feels so scratchy.

7. TheDarkerPoet

Honestly, waxing is the best option. Shaving irritates the skin as the above poster mentioned. Plus, shaving just makes the hair regrow faster and you'll have to do it more often. Kinda sucks in my opinion.

8. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With a name like Coochy Shave Cream, it has to be good.

9. Aya McCabre

Anything that's good for making hair softer could potentially help. You could try waxing or using other hair removal stuff.... I find that they cause more problems than shaving does but they might work for you.

10. Beachboi92

either wax or get an electric razor for body hair and you will be ok

11. Truth! ^ :lol:

12. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

DO NOT SHAVE AGAINST THE GRAIN
    Im super sensitive like you so you should really consider this.
    Do not shave against the direction that your hair is growing, and do not use products that dry skin out cause that will cause burning as well. What I do is Shave with the grain and put lotion on once Im done.

13. flymetothemoon

Any suggestions for electric razors meant for body hair? I got one today, and I paid for the more expensive one in the store thinking it would be better, but it's not. It didn't give me a close shave at all, and it actually managed to pinch my skin enough that it cut it. I'm unimpressed with it.

14. Beachboi92

when using an electric razor u need to
    1) Made sure it is for body hair and not other hair
    2) if hair is long then use an attachment that will cut away less hair and then work your way to just using the blade without an attachment slowly so that you don't pinch or get your razor backed up
    3) It will not be as close as a razor but will be close to it
    4) you should still use lotion or something to prevent dryness and itching
    5) U just have to be careful around certain parts, you may have to adjust the way you hold the razor and take your time

of course im sure guys shaving is a little easier and you will take time to get used to it. Im not sure if they have body hair razors for women but that may be something to look into.

15. sexyalex

Beachboi. I beg to disagree!
    We have allot more curves to shave than females do. Not to mention the balls. Jebuz...I usually just cream that and get down with talic powder and my electric shave. Slowwwwwwly and carefully.

16. Ianthe

Well, it depends. But most women (including me) have some hair on the inside of the labia majora. The area is really very sensitive, and removing hair from there can be problematic, regardless of the method used. I mean, it's an area that feels kind of "borderline" as to whether it's an internal or external part of your body. The inner curve at the top where the labia majora come together, just above the clitoral hood, is a particular trouble spot--it has to be sort of turned inside out in order to get to it. So, while I admit I don't have the most intimate familiarity with male anatomy, as far as I know there isn't anywhere quite so inaccessible that hair is growing.

Anyway, if you go for waxing and you're planning on having hair from that area removed, make sure you go to a highly recommended professional.

Some waxers that do bikini waxing will not do "brazilian" or "total" waxes, which remove hair from these areas, because of the higher risk that clients will end up in the hospital, like in this case. They have to have special insurance. (In that article, a doctor says that the particular case was "one of the most extreme of 90 cases of hot-wax burns resulting from Brazilian hair-removal procedures seen by Victorian hospital emergency departments" in the previous year.) :eek:

But, since you are talking about shaving, that's probably better.

I have also had good results with electric shavers. What you really need is something to trim it down really far and then something called a "personal shaver." "Personal" here is a euphemism which means "intended especially for pubic hair." The trimmer and shavers on this page are good examples. Make sure you get a quality product--it makes a difference.

Here's a really good article on about.com, for shaving with a disposable razor: How To Guide: Women Shaving Their Pubic Hair (I've been really happy with the instructions there--definitely much better than I had figured out on my own.)

(And just in case, the nearly-identical, but modified, article for men: How To Guide: Male Pubic Hair Shaving.)

And here's some more tips for women and men: Is It Safe to Shave Pubic Hair?

17. Prccgeek

I have had the same problem. I actually want to get an electric razor, but I live in a dorm...there are public showers....it would be very awkward if people heard a random buzzing from behind the curtain. What I have found to help me is a cream called bikini zone. You just use it shortly after you have shaved. It definitely helps with razor burn.

18. GreyGirl08

Ianthe, I totally know where you're coming from, and agree about the labia majora being difficult! Do you use the electric shaver for that part? Because I'm afraid to go near it!

19. Lychee

I would just wax - I don't know any females who shave down there, for the aforementioned reasons.
    Waxing doesn't actually hurt that much, and it lasts for about 3 weeks. It's not at all awkward to get done, and I find that I can actually do it to myself, but not all my friends can.
    But yeah, definitely look into waxing, because it's sooo much better.