1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp stabbing pains in my chest?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MusicIsLife, Mar 2, 2011.

1. MusicIsLife

Little background: almost 2 years ago I had an accident at a concert. I was against the barrier(which was made of steel) and a crowdsurfer hit me in the back of my shoulders and i curled forwards over the bar and badly bruised my sternum. When i got back to canada (the concert was in NJ) soo about a week later I went and got x-rays and they said nothing was broken.

Ever since, i'll sometimes get chest pains in that area, so I don't usually worry about them. But this morning it was a lot worse. I was in the staffroom before work and reading so I was hunched over a bit then all of a sudden I got these brief pains in my chest over my heart. they were really sharp pains, so much so that I got woozy for a few seconds and had trouble breathing (I have asthma).

Could it be a heart related issue, or given the area was it just my sternum again? I wanna tell my mom, but she's one of those people who need to see you with missing limbs more or less before taking you to the hospital.

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it COULD be loose cartilage. I used to have that happen to me a lot in my rugby playing days, it can cause very intense pain, and can recur for a looooong time unfortunately.

but go to a doctor, definitely.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I had this kind of thing but the pain lasted for a few days each time. It was a spontaneous pneumothorax but you can also get trauma pneumothoraxes. But, I don't think that is it. I think if it was trauma you'd only get it immediately after. It's easy to catch in an xray so you could tell your doctor or w/e when you go.

Actually re reading that... 2 years ago I don't think it would occur so late after... but I'll leave the info just in case instead of deleting....

4. Aya McCabre

Sounds like you've got something out of place that wasn't found by an xray..... you might be able to get other sorts of scans? Cartilage is probably a good candidate to start with.....

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    there are thing an X-ray wouldn't see. Anything from brused bones, to a clot

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cartilage really sounds the most likely, the way you describe it is identical to what used to happen to me, including breathing difficulty.

But it is always best to err on the safe side and assume it could be something far more serious.

7. KaraBulut

The best option is for you to see your doctor if these pains have been recurring.

8. MusicIsLife

Hey guys thanks for the responses :slight_smile:

As luck...sort of would have it, on thursday night/friday morning I had a pretty severe asthma attack and my mom had to rush me to the hospital. The sharp stabbing pains were still going on, and so when I got there I had some xrays done after I had an asthma treatment and the doctor poked and prodded the hell out of the area.

The verdict was that its inflammation from my asthma acting up so much lately.