1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skincare

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TWestside, Mar 5, 2011.

1. TWestside

TWestside Guest

Hey guys, i need your help again. I have a really oily face. I'm not fully informed with skincare, i'm using just a anti-acne cream of Clean&Clear. I've used the anti-shine tonic of CC too, but i didn't work. Whatelse should i do to prevent the shine?

2. Sanssouci

Exactly the same problem! And at my age (beyond my teens) it's quite annoying. I tried using a few things but I found anti-spot creme and Clean & Clear actually made it worse. It turns out I have sensitive skin, and once you have that, anything like Clean & Clear, Clearasil etc can make it worse because they all have the same basic acidic formula.

What HAS been working for me, I've had it for the past week and it's working well so far, is Aloe Gentle Facial Wash. You can get it in the Body Shop (I can get it here in the Netherlands so I presume you'll have Body Shop in Germany too), and it's the first stuff that has both removed the oil and not made me skin feel dry and irritated afterwards. At least here when I got it they give you a free sample of a skin-clearing lotion too made of Tea Tree oil (Tea Tree oil works well for me too), so you can give that a go. good luck!

3. TWestside

TWestside Guest

Then my first stop will be the Body Shop tomorrow. ^^ Thank you for the answer! I hope it'll work out for me as well as it did for you. I want to be good at this whole skincare thing so if you have other products to recommend feel free to say. Thanks again. :icon_bigg

4. Ridiculous

Do you use any moisturiser?

Even if you have oily skin, you should still use it. After you've washed your face, all of the natural oils will be stripped out of it, leaving it dry. To counter this your skin will produce oil, and if it produces too much it will leave your face looking shiny and may lead to clogged pores and acne.

If you moisturise yourself before this happens then it will reduce the amount of oil that is produced. Moisturisers labelled as "non-comedogenic" (i.e. does clog up your pores) are recommended.

5. TWestside

TWestside Guest

I didn't, but now i do. :slight_smile:

Yesterday i went to Body Shop and asked to the asistant this Aloe-Wash cream. She said that i have acne probleme and if i use it i'll just make my face oily even more. She advised me the Tea Tree Oil Creme and Moisturiser. I bought them and used them yesterday evening. I think it's kinda better now. At least no shining. :slight_smile: Thank you again!

6. Sanssouci

Glad it's working for you! It's odd they said that when I got precisely the opposite advice here, but oh well! Whatever works :slight_smile:

7. Gumtree

I think your best bet will be a product that is Ph Neutral.

It's a really hard balance to find when it comes to skincare because your body is always going to try and counter whatever product you apply to it, often, such as in your case most likely, over-compensating for it.

Tea-tree products are effective as they're not too harsh (although they may smell it) but they're often not that cheap, especially from body shop.

My suggestion to you is to simply wipe your face with Witch Hazel before and after bed, and after showering.

It should neutralize your skin, preventing both oiliness and dryness, as well as assisting with managing your Acne.

Witch Hazel should be available from any Pharmacy relatively cheap.

8. Extreme26

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In the past whenever my face got oily, the first thing I wanted to do was just scrub it all away, so thats what I would do (take a wet flannel combined with facial scrub and scrub away). I recently learnt that scrubbing is sometimes not the best way to wash as is often produces more oil and therefore produce more spots. I have since stopped doing that and opting for a more gentle face wash and I have actually noticed a difference in the amount of breakouts I get.

9. KaraBulut

You may find that you have to use a few different things until you find what works for you.

Not all oily skin is the same. Some people have oily but otherwise normal skin and a mild cleanser and mild moisturizer are enough. Other people have dry flaky skin that produces a heavy, waxier oil and these people are very prone to breakouts if they don't remove some of the surface skin.