1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyper-extended elbow

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Pseudojim, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What i really need to do is see a physiotherapist, but i am far too poor for that, so ....

is anyone a physiotherapist or some kind of doctor or some such?

In december, not long before christmas, i played the last game of summer soccer for the year. In diving to get to a ball with my feet (which i don't often do as a keeper), i landed on my extended arm and the elbow bent backwards. I didn't hear any popping, i'm sure it didn't entirely dislocate, but the pain was so bad that i felt dizzy and nauseous for a couple of minutes afterward... i'm kind of an idiot because i play on through anything that doesn't actually make playing physically impossible, so i was playing for about another hour afterwards (thankfully it didn't happen again) and didn't get a chance to immediately ice it.

Anyway, it was tender and sore for a time after, and i had yellow bruising on the inside of my elbow, up the white-coloured underside of my forearm to my wrist, and a little but up toward my bicep. That's long since cleared, but i went to play cricket with some friends recently, and upon throwing a ball i nearly fell over a few seconds later in delayed but very intense pain, which took about a minute to fade away again.

i guess what i need to know is, how should and shouldn't i be stretching / exercising this thing to make it better? Has anyone done the same injury?

2. nate16

I've hyper-extended my right hand and wrist two times. What i've done is made sure to ice it constantly and liberally applied arnica (a homepathic) which gets rid of swelling. What I would try to do in you case is to not use that arm that much. Depending on how hard you hit it, you have to slowly ease it back to the way it was which may take a 3-4 weeks by what you've said. Only move it as much as you can without hurting it. Then again i'm no doctor, but have just experienced what your going through now. You should definitely ask a doctor what you can do. As i recall, it takes some time for the pain to clear up entirely.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The injury happened about 2½ months ago. This is long past the time that applying ice will be affective... But i did use plenty at the time. This is the first major exercise i've done since then (blame the silly season!)

Also, if i were going to use a vasodilator like arnica, ice would only serve to counteract its expansive effect. I certainly wouldn't use it in a homeopathic preparation either, homeopathic preparations of herbs are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

Hehe, unfortunately, the doctors around here aren't really much help for sports injuries. I've been a bunch of times for things like this... dislocated collar bone, jarred and dislocated fingers, sprained wrists etc etc...Their universal advice is "see a physiotherapist"

The good news is i've regained all range of motion in the joint now, i can use it completely normally, i've been doing weights and what not with no issues at all, it's just that extending it very quickly (as when throwing a cricket ball) causes a LOT of pain, so the soft tissue obviously has some remaining problems.

Thanks though, i appreciate the advice, but homeopathy isn't for me!

4. Flyers2011

I have a severe case of "Golfer's Elbow", it's a little bit different, but the best thing I can say is ice it, be careful with your arm, and try to find rehabilitive exercises to rebuild your arm's strength.

One is a stretch where you put your arm flat against your stomach, your elbow is bent at a 90 degree angle, and you grab your elbow with your other hand and pull toward your hand resting on your stomach.

Another is doing bicep exercises with a weight.

Don't over do it though, and if things start getting worse go to your doctor. You don't want to hurt yourself and need surgery. It's hell, I've had friends go through it for their shoulder.

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    isn't ice counter productive a long time after an injury?

6. Flyers2011

My doctor told me to ice my elbow if the Golfer's Elbow acted up (which it has, little bugger), so I'm assuming, at least in my case it wouldn't. I think I meant to only ice it if it swells or hurts a lot. I missed putting that in, sorry lol.

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah. Well, i don't get any swelling at all, and the joint moves just as naturally as it did before i ever injured it (it just fucking hurts if i straighten it quickly and with force), so i don't think ice would do too much for me.

how long do tendons and ligaments stay bruised, does anyone know?

8. Flyers2011

I think it depends on how bad the injury is. And if you've done anything to rehabilitate them.

I still get pain in my elbow from time to time, but my issue is really severe. So yours might heal faster than mine. It's all down to the person and their body.