1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wisdom tooth pain

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Tiny Catastrophe, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Tiny Catastrophe

Yesterday I noticed that my gums in the back bottom of my mouth were sore and when I looked in the mirror I could see the shape of a tooth underneath but today the pain has gotten worse and my jaw is beginning to hurt and swell up. I'm not sure if this is normal for when wisdom teeth grow in or if it's impacted (I really hope its not). The pain and swelling has been getting worse throughout the day and I'm kind of starting to freak out a little. :help:

2. RedState

Well, you will prolly have to have them taken out. You could be one of the fortunate ones that doesn't, but..eh...most people do.

Sounds like normal "growing pains"..i went through the same thing with mine...right before I had them yanked out.

Make an appt with your dentist...they will make the call and then refer you to an oral surgeon if they need to be taken out.

I don't know of many OTC pain relievers for gum pain other than something like Oral-jel, but I'm not sure how effective it is on something like wisdom teeth pain.

3. Tiny Catastrophe

I'm absolutely terrified of surgery and my step brother had his taken out and he was in extreme pain for days. I'm having a feeling that that's my only option tho :/

4. RedState

Well, they loaded me up on every horse bill possible from Perocet toGod knows what. I don't remember most of it.
    I stayed a week at my parents house....all my mom did was say I watched "Wheel of Fortune" and talk about how I didn't like that Pat Sayjack....for an entire week.

It's not that bad...my mom was ready for me to go...but it was great for me.

Now I understand why they day don't drive while taking those pills.

5. Tiny Catastrophe

you were right. I went to the dentist and its infected and impacted and they're taking it out asap

6. Eleanor Rigby

Ouch ! I'm sorry honey. Get well soon (*hug*)

7. Tiny Catastrophe

thank you. ive been up all night crying (and i dont cry) and kept my poor friend up most of the night with me. hopefully they can do something today for me

8. RedState

Oh it will be fine. It will be a little uncomfortable at first, and you may look like a chipmunk until the swelling goes down, but that happens to everyone. I was so swollen after I had mine taken out I could have easily passed for one of those ballon heads you see at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. But I went to normal after about a week.
    Good luck.

#8 RedState, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  9. Eleanor Rigby

The good thing about it is that you're going to be able to eat tons of ice cream without feeling guilty :slight_smile:
    And let your friends and family taking care of you, that's what friends and family are for.
    (*hug*) Cécile

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had my wisdom teeth out few months ago, the first two weeks suck, but not having jaw and ear pain was totally worth it, plus 2 less teeth to brush.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It'll be fine you will probably be put under for the surgery and just wake up with some pain. But just think, in a few weeks, it'll be over and you'll have gotten through it. And I know some people who barely had any pain from it. And they healed quick. They'll give you vicotin or something. If you're "normal" unlike me and take it, then you'll probably not feel it for a lot of the time.

12. Tiny Catastrophe

Well they took it out this morning. Just the one that was bothering me. I was awake for it but it wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. I can't really take pain killers due to a heart condition so I'm kind of trying to not think about the pain. However I haven't stopped bleeding at all yet and its been about 6 hours so I'm a little concerned. Thanks for all the help guys :slight_smile:

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did they give you little cotton balls or something to press down on that spot with your jaw? Also, how come they didn't take all of them out? :S I doubt you want to go back...

Glad it went well though!

14. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

When I got a molar pulled, it didn't stop bleeding completely for two days. But after the first day, there was only blood when I actually touched it, it didn't actually bleed everywhere in my mouth.

When I got my molar pulled, the novacain didn't work at all. Four nurses and my mom had to hold me down.

Damn dentists. Next time I am being put to sleep. That was the single most painful thing I have ever experienced. I've completely shattered both my wrists too and been stabbed in the leg before.

Then again, short bursts of pain are better than long periods of intense pains.

15. Tiny Catastrophe

ouch. i am so glad you didnt post that before i went to the doctor

16. RedState

Oh, I had all 4 of mine take out at one time. The top ones aren't that bad...the bottom ones are the real pain..dry sockets...ick. But of course, afterward the procedure you could have told me I was in downtown Tokyo and I would not have known the difference.

It will bleed...that's natural. I was lucky, mine didn't bleed too bad. But some people are bleeders and some are not. Nothing to be worried about.

17. Tiny Catastrophe

i was in enough pain as it is and i wasnt about to have all of them removed at once. my mom says thats nuts and so do i. im doing them one at a time.

18. Arex

You'll probably have to have them taken out, see your dentist and see what he/she thinks. I'm actually having mine taken out sometime this or next month (yay...) So Good luck with that n_n;;

19. Tiny Catastrophe

oh the oral surgeon said he's definitely taking all of them out and to which i replied "well you're taking them out one at a time" so im going to be seeing my oral surgeon alot

20. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd rather get it over with.... it's likely it will just feel a little bit more painful, and maybe recover a bit slower, but overall i think it'd be less painful. I got all 4 of mine out at one time.