1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too young to be happy?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jamieftm, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Jamieftm

Hello, I'm Jamieftm. I am posting this because one of my buddies recently messaged me saying I am too young to begin taking testosterone. He says I need to wait until I am 16 (which is in less than 120 days), and that by moving "fast" I am making trans people look bad. I was just wondering what you guys thought. Am I too young for hormones or not?

p.s. Either way, I have my appointment with my endocrinologist on the 29th and will be starting hormones whenever he gives them to me.

2. Beachboi92

if your doctor thinks its fine then i'd trust him over your friend. Instead i'd tell your friend that your doctor has informed you that it is perfectly helpful and that it's only 120 days till you are 16 and they need to worry about their own life. This is your decision and the idea that you make trans people look bad is ridiculous and frankly it doesn't seem like your friend is much of a friend if they are saying this stuff. It is your life and i believe the sooner you start that stuff the more effective it is.

There is literally nothing i can conceive of that would make trans people look bad by getting your hormones that young. In fact i know a trans (ftm) person who did the same thing. Maybe your friend is jealous that you have it sorted out that early?

3. Jamieftm

Yeah, maybe he is jealous. I've talked to so many people about this, done sooo much research and this lady i know who's a professional with anything to do with trans, guided me through what I needed to do to get the appointment so i may start the hormones. I'm not backing out now, I know the dysphoria will in fact get worse if i wait. I have been really low and thinking bad thoughts. I need this for my life. In order to live and want to live. This is honestly the only thing keeping me alive. My appointment is next Tuesday and I am hoping I get the hormones right then and there. I actually can't wait to go up to my buddy and say I was right and he was wrong. He thinks he knows it all about trans just because he's trans, no, he doesn't, even I don't know it all, im sure there is still lots for me to learn about trans, as it is a huge topic. Anyways, thanks, I really needed a response like yours. made me feel a lot better.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I really don't know much about it because it is a very complex topic, but I agree with beachboi. If your doctor gives you the ok then well...it is ok :slight_smile:

You are not the spoke person for the trans community. Whatever you do make sure you do it for yourself and don't worry about "representing" all trans people.

5. olides84

Exactly! This is your life, not some community's life. You've educated yourself and you are doing what you feel is necessary for your well being. Nuff said. Stay strong and good luck with your appointment!

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly! :slight_smile: All that matters is that you feel comfortable within your own body. You know what you need to do to achieve that. If your buddy has a problem with you going to fast, or worries that you make the trans community look bad, well, that's something for him to figure out. This is the time when your friend needs to be a friend and should be able to support you. If he can't do that, time to look for another friend who will support you and respect your decision.

As Beachboi92 mentioned, listen to your doctor. I would add to that, and as you go through the process and start seeing changes to your body, talk to a counselor on a regular basis to make sure you are doing emotionally okay.

Hope all goes well for you.

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

You should ask people on youtube, I seen some vids of people taking them, and they're smilar age as you.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxVCgYHGE10[/YOUTUBE]

8. straal1972

Hi Jamieftm, welcome to EC. It would seem to me that each case of hormone treatment should be dealt with a one on one basis. Blanket statments that you may be to young are irrelevant since everyone ages/matures at different rates. Your doctors have your best interest at heart and want you to succeed in your transition. Listen to them. As for your friend, they may have either personal or anecdotal information to support their idea, but unless they've got some medical qualifications to back up their position, you don't have to listen to them.

If our personal actions can effect a larger population that easily.....where would our world be now?

9. roborama

as long as your doctor is in support of this an will monitor you so side affects dont kill you or something (i care!) i think it a wonderful idea. why should you have to wait until youre older to be the way youre supposed to be

10. Jamieftm

Thanks everyone, i really needed the confidence boost :slight_smile:
    You are all right, with everything you have all said. I just really wish my buddy wasn't being so stupid. He should understand what it's like to be trans and how hard it is to wait and be patient for hormones when you have to deal with dysphoria and depression.

11. VinnySR97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok first of all no you are NOT making trans people look bad, and second of all your NOT too young to be happy, eample: when I see a really sexy lookin guy I get excited :icon_bigg and my hearts starts to jump :icon_redf

Trust me, your fine :slight_smile:

12. roborama

people can be really difficult especially when it comes to things like this. the way we were born is not the norm, and honestly it seems a lot easier to understand how i was born over how you were. thats who we are, however most people will never really get it. i dont entirely get what you go through everyday but i do get that nobody really does. dont listen to him because he doesnt know how you think or feel hes not you. but try to understand where his judgements come from, doesnt mean hes right by any means but dont take what he says to heart. you know whats right for you

13. Ianthe

Given that you are a minor, I think that hormone therapy can only commence after agreement is reached among yourself, your doctor, and at least one parent. If you've convinced a parent that it's necessary, I think it probably is.

As long as you are fully aware of all the effects of taking the hormones, and realize that many of them are irreversible, I think it's fine. (In many cases, not only in trans issues but in medicine more generally, I think that minors are sometimes not given as much information as they should be.)

Under no circumstances should you base your medical decisions on what other people will think about you, or about trans people more generally.