1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tooth Extraction

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BasketCase, Apr 17, 2011.

1. BasketCase

Well, this week I am getting a tooth pulled, though its not totally straightforward.

The tooth that is being extracted is one that is sitting high on the gum above the teeth that should be there.

Has anyone had a procedure like this before?

Was it sore? As I am assuming it was, how sore and for how long?

How long did it take to heal?

Thanks to anyone who can answer.

2. Rikudo

Yeah I've had this done except along with the one canine tooth up in my gums. I had 3 other pulled as well.

You will be sore for around 3 to 4 days. It might be worse for you since you are an adult and I was around 12-13 when I got mine pulled.

Again you should be healed in those 3 to 4 days.

The after feel will just be like that of losing a tooth natural. Or atleast that's what I think.

3. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I had something like that too. They ended up removing 4 teeth becasue as my dentist put it "your teeth are too big for your mouth." :lol:

I can't remember much from it (it was a few years ago for me as well) but it should stop being sore after a couple days. It might depend on how much experiece the person has had doing that sort of thing. I had my dentist pull 2 of the teeth then I had to go to an oral surgeon to get the other 2 out. The ones done by the surgeon ended up hurting less and I think healed quicker.

But really it was like losing a tooth so you shouldn't have any problems after a few day.

4. Emberstone

they should give you pain medication for tooth extraction. When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, they gave me a weeks worth of pain medication, but I found that after a few days, I didnt need it. the main issue is that you will have a socket where the tooth was, which you will need to keep clean to prevent infection, which I found to be the most uncomfortable part of extraction.

but yah, your mouth will feel weird for a while, which for me was a few weeks, but I had all four wisdom teeth out at the same time.

5. BasketCase

Okay guys - thanks for the posts.

The procedure is being done by an oral surgeon. I've been referred by an experienced orthodontist. That along with the fact I have looked into the company carrying the job out and have seen the level of experience has settled my nerves somewhat.

Still going to take a day or two off if there is discomfort the days after it has taken place.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had my wisdome teeth out, not sure if its the same process, but stock up on soft food (eggs, jello, soups) you'll be eatting them for a week or 2. And keep that mouth clean the last thing you want is a damn infection.

Good luck

7. BasketCase

All I can say is 'ouch'.

8. Foxywolf

I've had 8 permanent teeth removed total (4 molars and my 4 wisdom teeth). The wisdom teeth were the worst for me. Are you being put under for the procedure?
    I wasn't put under and it was very scary. They had to break my bottom teeth in half before removing them. They did this by drilling in the middle of the tooth. Despite being numbed I still felt it and it was painful. Also I did not have any laughing gas because they put me on it to start out with but I didn't handle it well so they took it off.
    I found that as long as you keep up with your pain meds the after pain is not so bad. The first day afterwards is the worst because (depending on where your tooth is) you have to bite down on gauze so it will form a clot. Biting down on gauze hurt me and I hated having a numb face that first day because I couldn't move my mouth how I wanted to so I kept drooling blood.
    But you are only having one tooth removed so it shouldn't be too bad. It gets much better after the first day let me tell you that!
    Good luck!

9. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

I had this done once before, it was so painful because it was infected, and the infection blocked the Novocain so nurses had to hold me down. Don't worry though, if yours isn't infected extremely bad (you would know if it is) the Novocain will work and you won't feel pain.

Mine was sore for about two days, it was a molar too so sometimes I would accidentally chew food on that side of my mouth which of course made it much worse. It took two weeks to heal, but it stopped bleeding after a day and stopped hurting after two, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

You'll be fine. :slight_smile: All you will feel is pressure and that's not a big deal. Just use your index finger and press on your arm, that's the about all you'll feel. Yay drugs!

But if you scream a lot they'll give you strong pain killers! So if you want some Vicodin, scream. Even if it doesn't hurt.

10. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    The dentist is my worst nightmare! I almost had to get a tooth pulled when I was little because I guess it wasn't growing in right. But thankfully it corrected itself. Good luck- hopefully you aren't as much of a baby about tooth pain as I am!

11. Enaithor

I had 4 of my upper premolars pulled a few years back (I had random extra teeth) and it doesn't really hurt. I had a general anaesthetic so I was out of the actual extraction, but when I woke up I had no idea where I was and my mouth was stuffed with a sort of cotton wool-polystyrene-wannabe-ting. I kept trying to take it out but I was too out of it to understand my mum saying no lol.
    It might be a little sensitive for a few days but you've probably experienced much worse pain before.

12. Markio

I was born with one extra tooth, and I got to take Valium so that I was unconscious while they pulled it out. It was okay.

What was not okay was when I got metal braces a month later. I have nickel allergy and it ruined my face and the first two years of high school until I got them off. Get invisiline if you can. :frowning2: