1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ear troubles

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mr.Pushover, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Mr.Pushover

hey guys. i need some help. so around 6 weeks ago i was cleaning my ear out and i went too far in with the qtip, and lost a lot of hearing in that ear. my mother thought i pushed a bunch of earwax back into it, so i used these ear drops that were an ear wax remover. it didnt work. so i talked to some people who had this happen before to them, one girl said it took like 2 days to clear up, another said it took like 3 weeks. so i decided to play the waiting game. 6 weeks later i regained most hearing back in my ear, but theres a never ending 'shhhhhhhh' sound in my ear and its been driving me crazy. i told my parents for like 2 weeks to take me to the doctor but they KEEP ON FORGETTING. I need some help please...

sorry for the jumble and grammar fails as im using my phone while my computers being fixed.

2. TraceElement

Could be tinnitus... but I do not have an MD after my name so I can't be sure. As long as there are no other symptoms there shouldn't be a rush to get in, as I don't think there is any treatment.

3. Bryan90

Go see the doctor?

4. Remk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That whooooosssssssshhhhhh sound is a classic sign of a ruptured tympanic membrane (ear drum). Usually it's just a tiny hole that heals with time. Go have the doc take a look to be sure.

5. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

Sounds like you poked a hole in your ear drum.

As long as there isn't a lot of bleeding, it will heal on its own (which takes a long time usually.)

My mom just did this about two months ago, and it just now is turning back to normal. She went to the doctor all they said was to wait.

It wouldn't hurt to go see the doctor just to make sure that's what the problem is.

6. Stuie

I'd agree with the above posters in saying that it sounds like a ruptured ear drum.

In Australia, one of the repeated bits of medical advice we hear is to never put anything smaller than your finger in your ear, because precisely this can happen. Also, your ears don't actually really need cleaning most of the time. Unless you have an excessively large amount of earwax, which, if it is a problem, you should probably see a doctor about, you're more likely to do harm than good. If you have a desperate compulsion to clean out your ears, I'd use that earwax remover rather than a cotton bud, which can also push earwax up against your eardrum, which is also meant to be rather unpleasant.

Hope it gets better soon.

7. KaraBulut

You may have perforated your eardrum. The only way to be sure is to have your doctor take a look. Usually these things heal themselves but since you are 6 weeks out and you're still having symptoms, ask your parents when they can accompany you for your doctor's appointment and then YOU call and make the appointment for them.

8. Mr.Pushover

thanks for the feedback everyone. my parents finally set up an appointment today, but its not for another two weeks. -_-

9. Spectre

This is why you're not supposed to use qtips to clean your ears. :astonished: