1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to do your Laundry?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by brodyman, May 4, 2011.

1. brodyman

Alright I feel like a dumbass for having to ask this but I don't know how to do my own laundry. Before now my Mom has always done my laundry for me, but she has left the house due to some fighting between my parents. I DON'T want to ask my Dad or ask him to do it for me. All I know is that my mom used cold water. Other then that, I have no idea if I have to seperate anything or even how to work the damn machine. There are just to many knobs :bang: lol. Any help would be much appreciated :help:

Thanks!

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know what type of washer you have, so I don't know what sort of knob turns you should do, but separate whites, reds/yellows, and everything else.
    Don't overload the machine.
    Those are just some basics, good luck. :wink:

<- Doesn't do laundry terribly often.

3. Emberstone

I just use color safe bleach, and throw everything in together, whites and colors. I keep my washer set to warm/cold, and my colors stay strong, my whites stay white, and it takes all the hassle out of it.

just, if you are useing a dryer, find where the lint trap is (usually on the front of the dryer), and clean it before each load.

4. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I pretty much do exactly what Emberstone said. All my cloths are color safe and i use detergent that is too so i don't need to worry about seperating things. If you check the tags on your cloths there's usually some washing instructions too. As far as how to use your washing machine/dryer, If the doors are solid, there's usually instructions on the inside as to what seetings to use for what types of cloths. If not, there should be some sort of normal wash setting on the dial. Washer dials usually work by turning them to the setting you want then the knob outwards to start. Tumble dry low, or high heat are the typical settings for a dryer.

(If you can't figure it out more, if you post the actual washer/dryer models, I'm sure someone can look it up and give you more specific information)

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you post a picture of the front of the washing machine, I'll walk you through it. Seriously. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I just press the start button lol, they come out fine to me :grin:

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our washing machines on campus are pretty simple. I separate lights and darks (in theory, I usually don't wear light clothes so my washing is almost entirely dark anyway), chuck it in the machine, put washing powder into the powder tray thing on top of the machine, set it to "cold" and hit start. It tends to figure itself out. Our home washing machine has more settings, I stick with "coloureds" and again set the temperature to cold.

8. roborama

if you dont know what youre doing put it on cold! umm well i do my laundry all the time.. i seperate my clothes into light and dark piles (even on cold i dont trust my red socks with my white dress shirt) then turn the dial to the right size load (usually large) then make sure the other dial says cold then press the on button. now pour the laundry detergent (im hoping you use liquid i dont know how to use powder) into the cap until it is up to the first line for a small/medium load and the second line for a large load. put the soap in. now add your cloths and make sure not to over stuff. and check your pockets first!. good luck

9. RedState

Whites/light colors I use hot or warm water
    colors...cold water.

Everything else (dress shirts, etc) i take to my Chinese dry cleaners..medium starch :slight_smile:..they are awesome

#9 RedState, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can wash everything on the "normal" cycle, using warm or cold water.

As others have suggested, you can separate whites from colors, wash the whites in hot water and, if you want, add a lil bleach, and wash everything else in cold or warm water. Best not to mix whites and colors as sometimes there are colors in the color load that will bleed onto the whites.

Liquid detergent comes with a little cup thing and you look at the mark on the cup; a load of laundry is usually half or 2/3 of one of the cups (they make it bigger so you'll waste soap and buy more sooner.) The preferred way is to put the water and soap in first, and add clothes after the water is full, but a lot of people I know (including me) simply throw the clothes in, throw the soap in, start the washer, and go away till it's done.

Drying clothes is a lil more complicated. Anything nice (dress shirts, anything wool, some cotton clothes, many sweaters) may need to be air-dried, and some may need to be drycleaned rather than put in the washer. Clothes will all have a label telling you how to dry them, and whether you can machine wash them.

For the rest of the stuff, it goes in the dryer, you empty the lint filter as others have said, and turn the dryer on, medium heat. Many modern dryers have an "auto dry" cycle that will automatically stop drying when the clothes are dry. If not, then drying time will be probably 20-50 minutes depending on what kind of laundry and the dryer. (cotton and heavy stuff like towels takes longer than synthetics and light stuff like sheets.)

11. Possibly Maybe

Apart from what everyone said, read the instructions. I have a booklet with instrution for my machine. You can also probably see it online... try it :slight_smile:

12. Rikudo

LOL I'm pretty much in this same boat and I'm gonna be sooo doomed in college.

However from what I do remember the most important thing to remember is to seperated the colored clothing from the white clothing.

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>LOL I'm pretty much in this same boat and I'm gonna be sooo doomed in college.

My freshman roommate had never done laundry, either. He saw me coming back from the laundy room with my laundry bag of clean clothes (it had the ninja turtles on it - even then...), and he said "You know how to do laundry?" I said, "Uh, yeah." He started to ask me to teach him, then changed his mind and simply said, "I'll pay you $10 a week to do my laundry."

That money came in handy. :slight_smile:

Lex

14. Bryan90

I throw everything into the machine and put it on normal and warm, colour or whites.... LOL

If you see how I dress, you'd never believe that I'm gay. :wink: lol

15. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you wash everything on cold then you shouldn't need to seperate them, bt make sure you put the soap in first THEN the clothes.

16. brodyman

Well thanks for all the advice, I successfully did my first load of laundry the other day, WOOT! I think I did everything right, it smells clean at least so I guess it worked haha. Thanks again everyone! Now I don't feel like a dumbass anymore :grin:

17. roborama

yay for clean laundry!!