1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Addiction

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by British Lad, May 12, 2011.

1. British Lad

British Lad Guest

For years now, I have played computer games on my PC but I can't stop, and I want to how could I stop my self and be normal.

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    as far as "normal" goes, I don't think there is anything un-normal about it.

I remember I used to (and still do) play plenty of games, especially when something new comes out. I think the reason I played so much was because I was unpopular. Game provided a "friend" that would never get bored with me.

Plus I wasn't (notice the past tense there) good many things when I was younger. Games created a challenge that I could overcome.

You want to stop? Set a timer and when it goes off its time to stop.
    Also, try finding other things to do.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had to stop playing WoW when it started eating up too much time.

I just went cold turkey, and replaced 'game time' with other things. I'd suggest exercise as a good candidate. Maybe a good book.

I still get cravings =P haha, and occasionally they send me some free game time to try and win me back, so i give in for a few days and give it another crack... It's a good exercise in self control not to re-activate it and keep playing after that.

4. No One

My Sims do that to me. I will go into these stages where all I want to do it play Sims and when I'm not, I think about my Sims. I have had dreams about my Sims. I usually fizzle out after a few weeks and go back to normal for a long time before the frenzie comes back lol. I dont think it's abnormal, but if you want to quit then find other things to do with the time you would usually spend playing games. If your busy, your mind isnt thinking about playing the game as much.

5. Jonamo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am a very big gamer (both console and PC) and it absorbed much of my life.

In my first two years of high school I participated in organized competitions and leagues but once I realized how much of my time it was consuming I quit all the organized playing. I filled my time by getting involved with random clubs and groups in my high school. even if i wasn't sure that I was fully interested I tried it.

My first year in college i seemed to be heading back towards that by playing tons of console games (no room in my dorm for my Alienware) and once it continued into my sophomore year i decided to join a fraternity to better meet new people as well as better use my time.

Basically, limit your time that you spend on the games and try to find a substitute; it can be as simple as going for a walk or bike ride to joining organized sporting teams/leagues (rec leagues). Those are usually divided by skill level so don't fret if you're not too athletic (god knows i wasn't).

6. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Gaming addiction is normal, tell your parents to cut off your interent :slight_smile: or remove your systems.

7. adam88

If your gaming is getting in the way of your life, then it's an addiction and you should cut back. :slight_smile: If it's not, and something you enjoy, and just feel guilty about over not "being normal" than its your feelings of guilt that need working out, not the gaming. (as an aside, I spent two hours last night playing tower defense games on my iPad and I consider myself in the latter, "guilty" camp)

Just trying to clarify as your post doesn't give much info, Mr. Lad.

8. Tim

Tim

I see it more as, when the game takes precedence over anything else in your life, then you have an addiction.

Playing the game in your free time, no matter how much you play, does not mean it's an addiction. When you can't stop playing, or your non-free time is suffering, then it is. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. forthwith

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been playing videogames since pong, can't get enough.. but the real issue is not an addiction to technology, but escapism. The cure: diversification. Books, comics, old school role playing games, collaborative storytelling, writing, art... If you can channel that need to be elsewhere into something positive (say illustration, or writing) you can make your addiction work for you and not the other way around.

10. Arex

I've been playing video games for a very long time myself, I was once addicted, for me, subsiding the addiction came from finding friends to hang out with.

I was once the "uncool", "unpopular" guy, because I never talked to people, never came out, or got friends, talked to anyone and I only thought about video games, and then I became aware that I was addicted, much like you have, stating that you have an addiction, though I ask one thing, do you prioritize it over other things? Such as your family, your friends, anything, does the game come first? Then you are addicted.

If you want to quit cold turkey, shut off your internet for a while, or block yourself from that game, or any other games you are addicted to, do something else such as exercising or going out with friends, drive around and go shopping, draw or study, something to get your mind off the game. Do this for about a week and you will notice a large difference, you wont think about the game as much and you will get bored of it quite easier than before hand.

This website is for the game World of Warcraft, but still pretty inspiring to quit any game that you are addicted to by reading these testimonies by other people who have overcome a gaming addiction, WoW Detox - The Detox center for your World of Warcraft Addiction!.

11. KaraBulut

When you say, "Can't stop"- explain what you mean. How many hours a day are you playing and has the rest of your life suffered because you're playing games?

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like everyone says, if games are preventing you from 1. working, 2. achieving passing grades in school, 3. maintaining friendships
    Then yes you may have a literal addiction :slight_smile:

13. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, keep yourself busy instead of playing a game.

Like me, i used to be pure gaming addiction, then i started to get stuff to be busy with. I started writing, because i really like writing, and i compromised myself to write a blog (with edited images, codes, CSS and everything else.) AT least 3 times a day, that cut off a good of the time i had to play any video game. Then priorize school works and review was a good choice. Today i barely play any game during week days (i couldn't play any game during week days since 2 to 3 weeks, recently) Time has been extremely short, why? because i worked things out to NOT have time to expend with games. Well, i write 3 to 1 blog(s) a WEEK now. All you have to do is keep yourself busy and not forget what REALLY is important.