1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HIV testing questions and such...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Steven791, May 19, 2011.

1. Steven791

I've read a lot about HIV but I still have some questions...

I was seeing a guy and wasn't very smart... I found out he was talking to lots of different guys behind my back. No idea if he slept with any of them or not, but I'm paranoid now.

Anyways, I skimmed through the forums for information about HIV and read what I found. I still have some unanswered questions though. I wasn't able to find much on testing other than what tests they do. I'm assuming they draw blood. How much do they take? (I hate needles, they make me nervous so if they had to draw a whole lot I would probably pass out multiple times... I don't do well with blood or pain). How long does it usually take to get the results back? I know you should wait until the 'window period' is over for the tests to have the most accurate results, so I'm waiting the 12 weeks. (happens to be the day before my birthday... Happy birthday, you have HIV! Wouldn't that suck..) I'm going to go ahead and get tested for everything else while I'm at it.

I used to think that I would rather be oblivious to the fact that I had it and not be tested instead of letting it ruin my life, but I decided I should get tested, it would make me feel better if I knew either way, and that way in the event that I did get it from him I can take the necessary precautions to make sure nobody else gets it.

So if I do have it, do they have any medication or treatments that prevent it from turning into aids? I had other questions but I can't remember them right now, I'll post if I remember them later.

Thanks for your time!

2. Ben

Ben

Hey there,

They don't take a lot of blood at all. I don't seem to remember having to give more than the usual amount for blood tests. If you hate it so much, sometimes they can prick your finger.
    Results can vary depending on where you're going. There are some places which so rapid results, where you can get results back on the same day and get retested if you come back positive. Here in the UK, it only took me a few days between testing and going back to get my results, if I remember correctly—they put high-risk groups on priority. I guess it won't be too different in America.

I don't know much about the treatment, but there are drugs which can help things, but it's not curable—they would explain that to you at the clinic. But for now, just focus on getting the test done. Chances are that you'll come back negative and it'll be a whole weight off your mind : )

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, while it's possible to get HIV from a one-time unsafe encounter with someone who is positive, it is pretty unlikely statistically. The probability goes up the more unsafe encounters you have, and people who are recently infected are, in general, more likely to infect you than people who have had the disease for awhile.

So the first thing is... don't freak out. While the possibility you were infected is greater than zero if you had unsafe sex, there is still a very high possibility that you were not infected. (For one thing, you don't even know if your partner was infected.)

You can get an "instant test" in about 10 minutes with a mouth swab or a couple drops of blood. Totally painless. It is testing antibodies, so it isn't totally reliable until about 90 days out (at that point it's about 99%). At 30 days, it's about 70% accurate.

The most accurate test currently, to my knowledge, is the PCR test which is pricey and takes a few days, but can accurately determine infection within about 12 to 15 days of exposure.

In the unlikely event you are HIV+, there are some really excellent new drugs that, if taken regularly, early after infection, and if you specifically avoid alcohol and drugs (which apparently counteract the drugs) appear to limit the virus' ability to replicate and effectively stop it in its tracks. The drugs are too new to know the long-term effect, but it is a much more positive step than most of the existing drugs.

4. KaraBulut

Sorry that this happened to you but let's set aside your ex-boyfriend's sleeping around behind your back for a second.

You're a sexually active teenager. If you're going to have sex, you should get STD testing on a regular basis until you are in a monogamous, committed relationship where you practice safer sex 100% of the time.

So, don't wait. Go get tested for all STDs- not just HIV. HIV is the least of your worries. The more conventional STDs like gonorrhea and chlamydia are more common. And if your boyfriend was cheating, you're more likely to have contracted these. The sooner you get tested (and if needed, get treated), the better.

And as long as you're sexually active, regular STD testing comes with the territory.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    they take between 2-4 viles to test.

If your worried donate blood, lie on the gay portion they'll test it and you'll know. no questions asked.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^ As far as I know that's actually a pretty dangerous thing to do if you don't know your HIV status and have unprotected sex. The HIV virus can take as long as 3 months to show up in tests.

You have gotten some good advice already, but It'll just echo what kara said. You should be getting tested regularly since you are sexually active. You are lucky you found out about this guy, but next time you might not be as lucky. And always be safe about it :slight_smile: