1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

omega 3 fish oil supplement for mild depression?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by hughchris, May 26, 2011.

1. hughchris

hi guys,

i'm not a regular supplement taker but recently i've decided to try fish oil out. i read about its benefits and how it can alleviate mild depression symptoms. has anyone of you heard about fish oil and mild depression? if you're taking it, how is it helping?

thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

2. crazydude

Hey there, I'm a pretty big believer in taking supplements as I have noticed a big difference in my overall health since taking them. I haven't heard much about fish oils being linked to helping with depression but they do have many health benefits especially for the heart. I have heard vitamin D can help with depression so you may want to look into that.

In general I believe choosing to live a healthy active lifestyle is key to being happy and feeling good about yourself.

3. crazydude

Haha I just read an article saying that Omega 3's may help with depression! So just educate yourself and I would also look into vitamin D. I take both :slight_smile:

4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

If you want Omega 3, you should get Flaxeed oil, it contains Omega 3 plus additonal oil nutrition

5. hughchris

i read that fish oil has more omega 3s than plant sources.

what kind are you taking? i have some maxalife fish oil supplements on my cupboard. my sister takes them and insists that it's good for my health. i guess i will try it along with vit d!

6. Fiddledeedee

I would be careful where you get your information from. Many "trials" are just run by companies who want to sell their product, and as such have no control group, double-blind tests, sufficient participants, etc. and are not published in a reputable journal or similar. Particularly notable in the Durham fish oil trials, a report of which can be foung here. The main benefit of many medicines is the placebo effect, that is, your body thinks it will get better so it does. I really hope you can find sonething to help you though. (*hug*)

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

O srry, I guess I was wrong!

It has Omega 3, 6 & 9 but, doesn't contain as much as cod liver oil.

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

"HOW DO PLANT AND FISH OMEGA-3S DIFFER?

Terrestrial plants have only alpha-linolenic acid. This omega-3 has some, but not all, of the health benefits associated with fish oil omega-3s. It can also be converted in the body to EPA and very small amounts of DHA. Humans perform this conversion very poorly, less than 5%, so relying only on alpha-linolenic acid for all omega-3s risks a shortfall in EPA and especially, DHA."

-http://www.fatsoflife.com/omega-3-fats.php

Idk anything about this website but it is true. Flaxseed oil's omega 3 fats are different from fish omega 3s, so you can take the flaxseed oil for the "oil nutrition" and the other omega 3s which are probably good, but you won't get any DHA or EPA from it.

I'm not a huge fan of supplements because honestly I don't think we know enough about them... or maybe I'm just in the dark about them myself. idk what the damage could be of taking too much of certain vitamins over and over can be........ I just try to eat healthy foods and am hoping that does okay for me. :slight_smile: For me if I was concerned about that (I barely eat fish... i probably should start) I'd start trying to include fish in my diet. Also, I heard adding nuts (lots of B vitamins) can help with depression. and if you live somewhere that it is possible, 10 minutes a day in the sun (unless you're almost completely covered) you'll make most if not all the vitamin D you need for that day.

9. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

"PLANT AND FISH OMEGA-3S DIFFER" Thx! didn't know that =]